Author Topic: How to judge how far you could walk  (Read 4049 times)

Kmo86

How to judge how far you could walk
« on: 12:20:09, 11/08/18 »
as mentioned in previous posts a group I go to is organising hill walks to work up to the 3 Yorkshire peaks. This was my idea and the man who runs the group is the cautious type which is the reason we are working up to 3 peaks rather than going straight to them and seeing how we get on which I would have done.

Me and the man have completely different ideas how I’ll get on. He doesn’t think I would manage the 3 peaks, I think it would be tough but I could push myself to manage them. Which is why he came up with idea of working upto them. We have all done a 5 mile hill walk last month. I fully expected myself and everyone else to be fine doing this. One woman wasn’t she struggled then took ill and had to go back early another woman also went back early not sure if she just decided to go back or couldn’t manage rest of walk. 

Out of about 8 of us who completed the walk and 2 staff 2 were struggling towards the end. So as much as I hate to admit it the staff had done right thing shortening the first walk as it had been planned to be 10 mile.

The next walk end of September is the 10 mile one. I am again expecting to manage it quite easily as I did 5 mile easily and could have gone further. The man organising these walks still isn’t as sure that I’ll manage so easy. He knows I will finish the 10 mile but he thinks I will be struggling towards the end, only he doesn’t think I would admit it if I was.

So this has got me thinking how can anyone know how far they could walk? I have always been used to walking a lot so don’t see it as a challenge. Years back I used to go long walks in Sherwood Forest completing 3, 5 and 7 mile walks in a day. Also used to walk along a canal which meant however far I walked one way I had to walk same distance back and I admit a few times I got carried away going one way then struggled going back but always managed it just my legs would be aching for a while before I got back. So I really have no idea how far I could actually walk and would I get to stage where I just couldn’t manage any further? Obviously at some point I would but would I know or would I think I could carry on?

This is something me and the man planning walks disagree on he has joked he imagines me collapsing through pushing myself too much and me still saying I’m ok I can manage. In truth yes I would say I’m ok as long as I could but would be honest enough to admit I was struggling if I felt ill or felt i couldn’t carry on and act like I was ok. Weather I would know when time came that I needed to be honest is a different story.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: How to judge how far you could walk
« Reply #1 on: 12:51:52, 11/08/18 »
Kmo86 this is very similar to your other pots and so many of the answers there will be relevant.

The only way to know how far you can walk is to walk it. The furthest that I have walked in a day is 42 miles but I was much younger then. I know I can walk 16 miles in the hills easily and so wouldn't see 20+ as a problem but I would be tired.
If you were OK at 5 miles then 8 will probably be OK and 10 worth a try but build up slowly.

Saying to the walk leader when you are struggling is VERY important. It would be appallingly selfish of you to press on and then have difficulties later which at best will hugely inconvenience everyone and at worst may put yourself and others in danger.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:20:37, 11/08/18 »
Try walking about 3 or 4 miles from your house and then walk staying approximately 3 or 4 miles from home.  If you get too tired then you can walk the 3 or 4 miles back home.  If you do the complete circle you will have walked over 18 miles around the circle plus 3+3 miles getting there and back.  If you do the 4 miles out from home then you will have walked about 25 miles plus 4+4 getting there and back.  Remembered from my school maths lessons 60 years ago! (For 2 miles it would be 12+2+2).
« Last Edit: 16:46:04, 11/08/18 by harland »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:51:40, 11/08/18 »

Something else to consider is climbing. Doing the Y3P involves a lot of uphill climbing as well as 'just' walking. There is a point around 18 miles in to the Y3P when you're confronted with an exceptionally steep 300 foot climb, with another 300 less steep feet still to go to get to the summit.
This is when you've already walked 18 miles and climbed around 3500 feet. You need to factor than into your calculations too. I expect that these are the moments that your man is concerned about, not just absolute distance.
Bear in mind that after you've done that you've still got 5 miles of rough terrain to go. At this stage of the walk there are no short cuts either.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:49:13, 11/08/18 »
.... In truth yes I would say I’m ok as long as I could .....or felt i couldn’t carry on and act like I was ok. Weather I would know when time came that I needed to be honest is a different story.

Why? 

Why do you think it is okay to .... basically .... lie?

I've written and deleted several replies to this latest topic but I think what Ridge says in his last paragraph, particularly the second sentence, sums it up.

Kmo86

« Reply #5 on: 17:08:20, 11/08/18 »
I would let the staff know if I was really struggling as in needed to stop or slow down honestly if it came to that I think they would be extra cautious as I think they would know for me to admit it I was close to as far as I could go. After all help and work they put into planning these walks last thing I want to happen is anyone take ill and cause more stress for the staff. I have never got to a stage walking where I can’t carry on so wouldn’t expect it to happen, I guess I’m not going to manage one walk fine then get to stage where I’ve pushed myself too far on the next as we are only adding 5 mile each time. So I think I will have word with staff and just tell them I will be honest about how I manage as long as it won’t effect them letting me carry on if I say I’m ok to.

18 mile then steep up hill climb will be tough. I’d say 18 mile on level would be tiring and close to if not furthest I’ve walked in a day. So yea I am going to be pushing myself to complete these walks and probably only manage the 10mile ok before finding rest hard. Determination vs fitness test.

Murphy

« Reply #6 on: 17:17:49, 11/08/18 »
As has been stated, this is over old ground...... As has been stated the 3 peaks is not just about the distance, it is the terrain, the climbs, and the descents - as well as the weather conditions.    I am not sure of the reasons for the reservations of the leader, clearly he has reservations and I would think that it is important for you to trust his judgment.  After all, would you trust him to lead/guide/take you if he was irresponsible putting anyone at risk?   

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:36:55, 11/08/18 »
Rule of thumb for distance running is “assume if you really push yourself you can do a third more distance than you regularly train”. So if you want to do a half marathon..about 13 miles, of course...you’ll be okay if you do a fair number of ten milers in training.

You probably won’t be okay racing a half marathon if longest training run you do is six miles...however comfortable you feel at the end of that six miles.

I think it’s not all that unreasonable to apply similar rule of thumb to walking. Yorkshire 3 peaks is 25 miles through fairly rugged terrain..I wouldn’t feel confident of doing it unless I was doing regular 15 or 16 milers through similar terrain.

(To put terrain in context...a flat 7 miles through somewhere like Sherwood Forest or side of a canal is easier than doing 4 miles through typical Peak District terrain.)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:50:04, 11/08/18 »

Me and the man have completely different ideas how I’ll get on.
Its pretty clear from your previous posts that you don't see eye to eye with "the man".Why not leave the group and go your own way.If it ends in illness and death on the fells then so be it as its your choice and yours alone.I can understand "the man's" caution as a lot of fingers might be pointed at someone who knowingly took people with illness or disability onto the fells and pushed them to breaking point.If you don't respect your leaders decisions its time to leave.
« Last Edit: 21:47:42, 11/08/18 by tonyk »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:59:18, 11/08/18 »
Kno, I am striggling to understand your thinking here.  I do not know how fit you are, though it is clear you have limited experience in the hills You may well have been able to start your training at 10+ miles.  But it sounds like this is a team effort. Your leader has to work to the pace of the weakest member of the team and build their strength and skills to he point we're the whole team will succeed. 

If you have the necessary  skills and knowledge to lead a team to success, then you will know what you should be doing in a situation like this is offering your support to the current leader and help them in the challenge.  That way your time will come to lead.

If you simply do not get on then perhaps you could find another group to train with where every one is at least as fit as you to start with.  Good luck if you choose the second option.
« Last Edit: 23:05:14, 11/08/18 by BuzyG »

Ronin83

« Reply #10 on: 00:01:38, 12/08/18 »
Its not just how much you CAN do, its how much you can do without causing yourself damage.
Many people run the London marathon and end up with long term injuries lasting years or even lifetimes, but they complete it. Is that good? Personally I want to preserve my body a bit. Thats my balance.
So it's up to you.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:56:15, 13/08/18 »
How far you can walk depends a lot on what you’ve done in the weeks beforehand. For example, I know I can walk the Pennine Way, because I did it two years ago! But if I started walking it tomorrow I would struggle, because I haven't done enough training for it.  Keep building up the miles and hills.

Kmo86

« Reply #12 on: 14:10:38, 13/08/18 »
How far you can walk depends a lot on what you’ve done in the weeks beforehand. For example, I know I can walk the Pennine Way, because I did it two years ago! But if I started walking it tomorrow I would struggle, because I haven't done enough training for it.  Keep building up the miles and hills.

That does make sense and something I hadn’t though of. One of women who didn’t complete the 5 mile walk had walked one of the Yorkshire peaks months earlier so was more than capable of managing 5 miles.

I do get on well with the man organising the walks even tho we do disagree on some things. We do have a joke with each other about stuff.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #13 on: 23:18:58, 05/09/18 »
I think the man is quite sensible and is better at being cautious. Put it this way you would be disappointed if you geared up to do the 3 peaks and failed rather than doing a few training walks beforehand and succeeded. Going up hill is a killer for me. I added up my walking this year alone I've walked over 1500 miles yet I'm doing some hill walks before i do scafell pike for the first time. The three peaks is on my to do list too.

RogerA

« Reply #14 on: 09:53:07, 06/09/18 »
I walk 5 miles on fairly flat roads / fields most days and 10-15 miles of well marked trackways / hills most days of most weekends with an occassional 10-15 miles of a more challenging higher peak. I'm not ultra fit, in fact somewhat overweight, and I know many many others will be doing far more than me both distance and challenge but I think I'm doing ok.

I therefore planned a much longer more challenging walk a few weeks ago taking in Kinder Low, Kinder Scout and Mam Tor in a single day but as 2 separate walks with a few hours break between.I did this, total 26.5 miles and while it was challenging needing regular breaks (Jacobs Ladder is just one of the killer sections) got to the end with only sore feet and aching thighs and hips.

A few days later though I started getting a pulling / pinching sensation in a band over my stomach - off to the doctors - a pulled / strained or possibily torn stomach muscle. I've obviously pushed it too far.

I think your leader is right to be cautious and build up gradually. 1/3 more than you regularly train sounds a good rule of thumb - one I wish I'd stuck to.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy