Author Topic: New boots rubbing  (Read 2189 times)

bobblebob

New boots rubbing
« on: 07:46:38, 28/08/18 »
Hi all

Ive done lots of walking over the years, mostly abroad in Nepal so used to long distance walking, also do 30-40 miles a week at home. Always had Scarpa boots before as find them really comfortable with no issues, and decided I needed some new ones. I went for the Scarpa Men's Marmolada Pro OD Boots. Tried them on in the shop and they were very comfortable from the off.

Anyway decided to take them on a 20 mile walk (I know I probably should have done a smaller walk first). For the first 3 or so hours they were perfect, no issues. Then after 3 hours around my ankle and just above it I felt some discomfort. After the walk I took them off and noticed my ankle and the area just above the ankle were very red, but no cuts or anything just redness and very sore. Without the boots on im fine, so don't think its anything muscular.

I assume the boots have been rubbing somehow? I have my usual trekking socks on, but is this something that breaking them in will cure?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: New boots rubbing
« Reply #1 on: 08:00:56, 28/08/18 »
Probably but you'll only know when you try  ;)
Where there's a will ...

bobblebob

« Reply #2 on: 08:05:50, 28/08/18 »
True, will take them out for another walk at the weekend. Going on a trek in Ethiopia at the end of September so would like them ready for then

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:17:35, 28/08/18 »
I'd put it down to a 20 mile walk out of the box at this ppint

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:39:56, 28/08/18 »
I'd put it down to a 20 mile walk out of the box at this point

I would tend to agree.

If you can't get out until the weekend and your ankle can stand it go for some local short walks each day or wear them as much as possible around the house to try and soften them up a bit. Every bit of wear should help with the breaking in. The other thing you could try is to use different lacing techniques to reduce the pressure on the problem area. Even slackening the laces slightly in this area may help.

A bit drastic and probably not recommended but you could give the problem area a thorough soaking and then walk the boot dry to try and speed up the process.

Of course this could be the underlying reason why Go Outdoors are currently knocking these out for £132 in the sale to clear their remaining stock?
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-mens-marmolada-pro-od-mens-p424695
« Last Edit: 08:45:47, 28/08/18 by kinkyboots »

bobblebob

« Reply #5 on: 08:52:37, 28/08/18 »
I would tend to agree.

If you can't get out until the weekend and your ankle can stand it go for some local short walks each day or wear them as much as possible around the house to try and soften them up a bit. Every bit of wear should help with the breaking in. The other thing you could try is to use different lacing techniques to reduce the pressure on the problem area. Even slackening the laces slightly in this area may help.

A bit drastic and probably not recommended but you could give the problem area a thorough soaking and then walk the boot dry to try and speed up the process.

Sods law they have been reduced a few week after I bought them  ;D

I don't think its something inherent with the boots. I looked at many reviews from various sites and all said they were a great fit and very comfortable. No one reported the issue I had. I do walk during the week but its usually just home from work (about 4 mile) but its along a footpath, and found boots with hard sole are not ideal for walking on hard flat footpaths

Is there are guidelines on how far you need to walk before a boot can be considered "broken in"?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:12:10, 28/08/18 »
I would agree, the reviews I looked at were all very positive with a couple suggesting the break in period could be quite lengthy due to the stiffness of the materials used in the build.

MichaelUK

« Reply #7 on: 09:19:24, 28/08/18 »
This happened to me with a pair of Alt-Berg Tetheras after about 200 mile! Seemed to be pressing into area just above the right outside ankle. I left them off for a few walks and the problem seemed to resolve itself. Very strange!

bobblebob

« Reply #8 on: 09:21:54, 28/08/18 »
I would agree, the reviews I looked at were all very positive with a couple suggesting the break in period could be quite lengthy due to the stiffness of the materials used in the build.

Well luckily I can get out every weekend now before I go away, so can easily clock up another 100 miles if I wanted before using them for the trek abroad

bobblebob

« Reply #9 on: 09:28:06, 28/08/18 »
This happened to me with a pair of Alt-Berg Tetheras after about 200 mile! Seemed to be pressing into area just above the right outside ankle. I left them off for a few walks and the problem seemed to resolve itself. Very strange!

Yea ive never had this issue before with any boots/shoe. Im not even sure what it was actually rubbing on as the area where the redness was, the boot is quite soft there and well padded

MichaelUK

« Reply #10 on: 09:36:39, 28/08/18 »
My first time out in mine was the Yorkshire 3 peaks, not the best idea but they were fine. I was on another walk, low level, and climbed over a style when the boot began to press into the ankle. As you say there was no ridges or hard points, the boot has good ankle padding. I tried various lacing patterns with limited success, and foam padding. I have a pair of trail shoes, Oboz, which occasionally does the same on the ankle! Only thing I can think of is I sustained some kind of injury, exacerbated by the boot. Fortunately the issue has resolved with the boot but still continues with the shoe!

bobblebob

« Reply #11 on: 09:40:48, 28/08/18 »
Its the first pair of boots ive actually had to break in. All the other Scarpa ones ive had ive worn them from the start with zero issues.

Hopefully once the redness has gone down it wont happen again

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:01:16, 28/08/18 »
This has happened to me more than once. My last pair of boots took a while but once the lace area and tongue had bedded into the shape of my foot they then were fine. A previous pair really caused me grief at the top of the tongue, when I studied the boots I found that in manufacture the worker or machine had ended the stitching sequence with a larger than normal knot. After a bit of hacking at it with a Stanley knife I made the knot smaller and they were fine after that.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:29:44, 28/08/18 »
Doesn't take much swelling around that area of the ankle to have that type of effect.  An army buddy carries a pair of woolen socks with the foot cut off that he uses as a type of ankle protection pulled over his socks, like a mini leg warmer from the seventies I suppose. He has a particularly pronounced ankle bone that rubs on everything after about 10 miles or later on in the day. no matter how well worn his boots or even shoes are. Also slather that area of your ankle in vaseline or something greasy to help stop any friction.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:02:20, 28/08/18 »
Could it be exercise induce vasculitis rather than rubbing boots? This year is the first time I've been experiencing it - annoying but not dangerous
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy