Author Topic: REPAIR OR RETIRE ?  (Read 746 times)

tenmilesplus

REPAIR OR RETIRE ?
« on: 23:14:36, 29/08/18 »
I would like to add images of my boots but I can't work out how to do it...

My Mammut T advance GTX have given way on the stitching again, last year they got sent away for repair because the stitching gave way on the left boot at the 'pivot' point of the ball of your foot.. now the stitching has given way on the right boot and in different places. They are 2 1/2 years old, done around 200 miles, still loads left in the sole and don't look worn out but I have never had stitching come apart on anything other than el cheapo old cankers... These boots got good reviews but I have had two pairs of these and they have both leaked and now stitching is failing at around half life..

where do I get boots repaired ? How much is it likely to cost ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: REPAIR OR RETIRE ?
« Reply #1 on: 23:18:26, 29/08/18 »
After a decent walk I like to repair to the pub before retiring for the night.

Ediited to add after post body appeared:

I've had trouble with Mammut boots - soles disintegrated after a few hundred miles. Less than a year old - got my money pack.  Personally I think you are throwing good money after bad and restitching will probably wreck any waterproof membrane.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:28:03, 29/08/18 »
I did need repairing at the pub after 18 miles on Bodmin moor in 31 degrees a month or so back.  A swift pint of soda water with pineapple duece chaser.  Perfect before the drive home. :)

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 08:17:53, 30/08/18 »
Could try returning again first. You never know

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:30:33, 30/08/18 »
I think you already know the answer and the sensible option would be to cut your losses and retire or bin them.

In my opinion it would be pointless spending money on them when the exact same thing is likely to happen again and again and no doubt the Gore-Tex lining has already been compromised and will leak anyway.

Put it down to experience and try to avoid buying boots which have multiple lines of stitching all over them and are manufactured from small sections which makes all the stitching necessary. Every line of stitching is a potential point of weakness in the build of any boot and increases the chances of the structure and integrity of the boot failing. Personally I would also avoid anything which is manufactured from suede which is a difficult material to keep clean and to keep waterproof for any length of time.

If you really must get them repaired you could do a lot worse than try http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/walking-boot-repairs-and-resoles/ although when you take the postage costs both ways into account it definitely won't be cheap and in the long run I'm sure that you would be wasting your money.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:04:22, 30/08/18 »
I agree, if you can't get a refund or new boots, dump the old ones and start again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy