Author Topic: The UK's Worst Selling OS Map  (Read 2812 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: The UK's Worst Selling OS Map
« Reply #15 on: 14:45:52, 12/09/18 »
Ah but he is a navigational aid denier, therefore in his world GPS does not exist. His previous posts on the use of navigational aids are surreal to say the least.   

In the hamlet I grew up in there was a very quiet, quite shy old man who popped into the nearest town to collect his pension and always visited the local for a large snifter before returning home. We all knew it was pension day with his loud singing and shouting around his cottage. The next 6 days he was back to his quiet self.

Parallels could be drawn, but maybe not in this case. ::)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:57:34, 12/09/18 »
If you can offer any other explanation to why the O/S continue to reproduce a sheet map, that hardly anyone buy's, i am sure we would all like to read it,
It costs a lot of money to update O/S mapping when its required, especially of very remote areas, that receive very few visitors.
If the O/S decided tomorrow, that certain maps, including no 440 was to be discontinued, few people would care, as its an area of the Scottish Highlands that is very remote, receives very few visitors, and so what justification is there to print and produce an expensive paper map, that sells in tiny numbers.
Just criticising someone for their opinion that you disagree with, seems a bit pointless.

As usual, everyone seems to criticise points of view they disagree with, but cannot come up with their own conclusion

Why does a costly to produce map, that few people want to buy, remain in print.

On recollection, i do not remember any statutory law saying that every area of the Uk must be covered by O/S mapping.

So why continue printing something few people want.

It does not make economic sense.
« Last Edit: 15:14:51, 12/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:16:54, 12/09/18 »
That at least makes more sense than your other post, in which you implied having no 3g signal made using a phone to navigate pointless and that without a map getting help wouldn't be possible   ;)
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:17:47, 12/09/18 »
Just criticising someone for their opinion that you disagree with, seems a bit pointless.

Nobody was criticising your opinion, merely questioning your logic that in order to use a map you need a phone signal.  I too am puzzled by that as it is simply not true.

However, if what you meant was that you need a phone signal to call the emergency services (and thus, give them your location) then yes, lack of phone signal is an issue.  It bears no relevance at all to whether or not you or the emergency services have a map (digital or paper, popular location or not).

I can see a day when PAPER maps will be printed on an "on request" basis rather than mass-produced and sold in shops.  Digital mapping will continue to be updated as it is used by far more people and organisations than just the outdoor enthusiast sector.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:21:34, 12/09/18 »
Whats your conclusion to a costly map printing process.
The printing process for any item, especially one in full colour, costs a lot of money.
Unless the tax payer is heavily subsidising the O/S, thus allowing the continued printing of a map, few people want.

That i am sure is not the case, but printing something that few of us want, makes little or no economic sense, so unless the O/S is being pressurised into the reproduction of almost unwanted mapping, there can be no logical conclusion.

There is no law saying the O/S must continue printing these maps, as they are now all available digitally, with those with internet access such as a smartphone able to access 24/7.

Has anyone got a more concrete explanation, than my sheer guesswork.
« Last Edit: 15:27:40, 12/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:51:55, 12/09/18 »
Whats your conclusion to a costly map printing process.

None.  Printing one map that is WANTED (eg. by a B&B owner or pub who has an area map on the wall) must be cheaper than printing a hundred maps that will sit on a shelf unsold until they no longer represent the landscape they map.  It may well be cheaper to get a bulk lot jobbie printed for more popular areas where sales are more guaranteed.

Has anyone got a more concrete explanation, than my sheer guesswork.

Nope, and I suspect there isn't a concrete explanation other than times change, requirements change. 

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:17:37, 12/09/18 »
There must be some benefit to OS advertising they sell the maps for the whole of Britain.  I presume that it is all on computer and they can just print as required fairly easily. 

I was going to compare the Post Office delivering to all addresses (apart from where there are dogs, potholes, health and safety issues etc!) but the extra cost of delivering to some addresses must be extortionate.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:24:35, 12/09/18 »
DA the answer is really simple and if you bothered to read up on it you would have found that the OS have a statutory  duty to map the UK and make those maps available on demand.
They themselves have stated that due to the advances in the use of digital maps that method may fulfill that statutory  duty.
They have stated  that they may move towards a "print on demand " service.

The introduction of digital copies accessed by purchasing paper maps is leading us aging troglodytes to at least get the chance to savour the delights of permanently  up to date maps. Also their annual digital subscription service has become very popular.  Viewranger and other digital services offer OS mapping either by way of direct purchase or subscription.
GPS does not require a phone signal.

Rescue in a phone blank area is as difficult with a paper map and compass as it is with a digital mapping/tracking device. Phones nowadays are much much more than phones they are books, papers, notepads, cameras, recorders, and yes maps.

As stated at the top all this is easy to find out. The OS is a very approachable organisation .

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy