Author Topic: The best ear covering hats  (Read 1131 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The best ear covering hats
« on: 17:18:13, 26/02/20 »
I have three hats which all do the same thing, they all have a peak and all cover my ears and ideal when it cold and windy. I have a cheap unnamed one (bought in Keswick for £5) which is OK, I use it around town when I'm cycling but the other two are better for hiking. Mine is the Lowe Alpine hat and the Sprayway hat, both are good but the Sprayway has a smaller sized peak above my eyes which I personally prefer and it does not make my head hot so quickly as the Lowe Alpine. I looked at the Paramo peaked cap but I thought that its peak was just too big for me and was too expensive, £37! My sleeping quilt does not have a hood like a sleeping bag and so on colder nights I often wear my Sprayway overnight when camping, just the job!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: The best ear covering hats
« Reply #1 on: 19:49:31, 26/02/20 »
Is that the often copied but never bettered Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap?. We have those, bought in 1994 and still going strong, excellent for winter.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:13:23, 26/02/20 »
I had such a hat with ear flaps but without a chin-stay it was useless in any wind.  The flaps lifted and the hat followed.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:29:31, 26/02/20 »
I hate wearing hats and always loose them.
So I buy anything cheap as I know, withing a month, I will be getting another one.
Maybe I should velcro them into the jacket hood.
« Last Edit: 07:48:36, 27/02/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:36:17, 26/02/20 »
Is that the often copied but never bettered Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap?. We have those, bought in 1994 and still going strong, excellent for winter.
I don't think mine is quite that old but not far off and still in mint condition.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:56:37, 27/02/20 »
I had such a hat with ear flaps but without a chin-stay it was useless in any wind.

Yes indeed, we were fortunate that the great guy at Hitch and Hike in Bamford fitted chin cords to ours on the spot with an adjustable sliding lock, we were all baffled that they weren't supplied as standard.

Edit: add detail.
« Last Edit: 07:02:57, 27/02/20 by vghikers »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:26:03, 27/02/20 »
I have done this as well, I just secure it under my chin with one of that little plastic sprung loaded things which these days seem to be provided with any storage bag that we buy or is offered to us.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:01:35, 27/02/20 »
I also improvised a chin strap but I make 2 points.  Tying your hat on with what is essentially knicker elastic is not a good look.  The hat is intended for winter use. the wind blows in winter, what oxygen thief decided a design that did not stay on in a draught was a good idea?
If they thought that- I also have a design for a chocolate fireguard for sale.
Solvitur Ambulando

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #8 on: 16:12:25, 27/02/20 »
Another vote for the Lowe Alpine. You can fit a chin strap with a couple of length of Bungee Cord and a cord lock. Only for the coldest weather though - in fact have not worn mine this winter.
Dave

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:32:36, 27/02/20 »
I looked on the Sprayway site but couldn't see one. Have they finished selling it?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:34:03, 27/02/20 »
A windstopper beanie of whatever make.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:06:22, 27/02/20 »
My main reason to like these caps with peaks and ear covering is that I think they are great to wear when it's raining, it fits very nicely under my waterproof hood.

Celticmongrel

« Reply #12 on: 20:16:18, 03/03/20 »
I like this from Sealskin
It has a tightening cord at back

Waterproof Extreme Cold Weather Hat

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:51:21, 04/03/20 »
The postman has just delivered one of these for me, ordered Sunday, received Tuesday. Bought it on eBay as Woodland Camouflage Thinsulate Beanie Hat, priced at £6.99 with free postage, or make an offer; I got it for £6.49. I can't post the listing url which is the longest I have ever seen, and I don't know how to shorten them on here.

It's modelled on a very small head in the pictures but it fits my big bonce nicely. I can testify it is everything it says; when the seller describes it as "lined", that is soft Thinsulate material. If you find it on eBay and look at the other pictures you will see that the brim rolls down, so it can cover below your ears and your neck. Importantly, as far as I am concerned, there is no hem showing when it is unrolled.

Disclaimer: I bought the item with my own money, and I have no connection with the seller.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:50:27, 04/03/20 »
I can't post the listing url which is the longest I have ever seen, and I don't know how to shorten them on here.

eBay link

Here is the SMF help page on posting URLs.

It has a curious topology - looking at the pictures, with the brim rolled down to cover the ears, the hat needs to tilt back to avoid covering the eyes and no longer fits the head snugly, assuming you can't roll down just the back half.
The material looks good and warm.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy