Author Topic: Foot pains.  (Read 559 times)

Pitboot

Foot pains.
« on: 14:56:35, 01/05/20 »
I have been getting pains in various parts of my feet for years now, but recently the worst one was a burning/stabbing pain in my left foot on the outside flank behind the small toe.
It was relieved a little by walking and did not get better by wearing different boot/shoe/sock/insole combinations. It would hurt while I was in bed too.

Last night my good lady suggested that we try using her TENS machine on the problem area. For  those not familiar with these, they are digital units that sends pulses of electrical energy through the soft tissue, they are low power and the sensation is like someone prodding the skin with a blunt stick. My wife is a nurse and has used kit like this with her patients when pain killing drugs are not appropriate or lose their effectiveness.
She put the pads on the foot above and below the pain area and set it going, it has a fifteen minute cycle and gives various jolts and pulses, it's not unpleasant at all.

The outcome is that, at least for now, I am free of the pain. It is more effective than ibuprofen gel or paracetamol.
I don't know how long it will last, but we have the kit to sort it out again.
I can report back on how I get on as I am sure that others on here will be interested.
TENS units can be picked up quite cheaply, they have applications for back pain too, you would have to do some research to see if it would be of benefit to you.

In my opinion this is a much better treatment, for me at least. I now don't have to reach for the pain killers!

Toxicbunny

Re: Foot pains.
« Reply #1 on: 16:22:52, 01/05/20 »
I know my husband had some problems with his ankle he snapped his Achilles tendon on exercise in the army. It started playing him up again probably due to amount of walking we do . He took ibuprofen and tried various other things but swears by Arnica lotion. You could try that it can be bought over the counter no prescription necessary.  His foot is fixed now he had it stripped but this lotion gave him relief while he was waiting.

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 16:32:29, 01/05/20 »
Thanks, I'll check it out if this is not a long term solution.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 16:34:49, 01/05/20 »
Thanks, I'll check it out if this is not a long term solution.
He tried a lot of different stuff while waiting for an operation he swears by Arnica lotion. The hospital also recommended it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:13:27, 01/05/20 »
Be careful, those TENS machines are addictive.  I had an accident skiing and ended up having daily TENS sessions on my calf while in resort.  When the doc wasn't looking, I used to sneak the dial up a bit to get a better endorphin high.  At the end of the holiday I had to go cold turkey.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 10:12:50, 03/05/20 »
It's been two days since I got the TENS treatment on my foot and good news so far. No pain, no reaching for the pills. Off to work a shift soon so that will be a good test.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy