Author Topic: What purchases are the most difficult to decide on?  (Read 2664 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: What purchases are the most difficult to decide on?
« Reply #15 on: 09:45:06, 17/06/20 »
I think my most difficult purchases have to be boots and waterproofs.  What I want -v- whether they do what I want them to do -v- what I'm willing to pay all seem to be at odds with each other  ::)

get my vote too.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:19:33, 17/06/20 »
Definitely the waterproof.

The differing  manufacturers, all have their own wildly optimistic claims, why their jackets are the best, and because of this there are simply too many to choose from.

You have to narrow down the material being used, and then choose your price bracket.

Even then, there are some jackets that undercut the very expensive ones by a lot of money, whilst still offering a like for like performance value.

Choosing footwear is a breeze in comparison.

You know your foot size, and the style of boot you like.

Choosing a waterproof, that provides quality, performance and at the price to fit your budget, is not easy.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:06:28, 17/06/20 »
I can easily understand the waterproofs buying issue, it's something that bothered and irritated me for some time. I'm one of those people who has a £200 waterproof jacket and a £15 waterproof jacket. It still annoys me that my £15 jacket is so much better as a waterproof!

My purchasing mistake was to believe that I could buy a jacket that was suitable for all sorts of weather, wet, windy, cold, etc but then I came to the conclusion that a waterproof should have one function only, that is to keep me dry, my thinking about how to dress for the varied weather when hiking then changed a lot.

Since then, I always carry two specific outer layers, a lightweight single skin waterproof for when it rains and a lightweight single skin windproof for when it doesn't rain. If I was to move on from my £15 jacket I'm pretty certain I would just purchase a Montane Precip again.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:44:40, 19/06/20 »
I can easily understand the waterproofs buying issue, it's something that bothered and irritated me for some time. I'm one of those people who has a £200 waterproof jacket and a £15 waterproof jacket. It still annoys me that my £15 jacket is so much better as a waterproof!

My purchasing mistake was to believe that I could buy a jacket that was suitable for all sorts of weather, wet, windy, cold, etc but then I came to the conclusion that a waterproof should have one function only, that is to keep me dry, my thinking about how to dress for the varied weather when hiking then changed a lot.

Since then, I always carry two specific outer layers, a lightweight single skin waterproof for when it rains and a lightweight single skin windproof for when it doesn't rain. If I was to move on from my £15 jacket I'm pretty certain I would just purchase a Montane Precip again.

That is mainly because the 'hardshell' jackets are designed for when you spend all day in them in horrible conditions, and were you to wear a functionally waterproof jacket it'd just wet out on the inside and you'd get hypothermia.

As has been said before in enough of a downpour every jacket will 'wet-out' unless it is a pacmac style non breathable fabric, which in my opinion is what is far more useful for 3-season hiking than a burly breathable shell.

That said when conditions are truly shocking I've been thankful of my expensive shell layers, particularly ones with proper features like plenty of pockets, storm hood and pit-zips for when you're working hard - something many of the cheaper models just don't have.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:39:06, 23/06/20 »

Interesting. I came to somewhat the same conclusion!

In the Scottish hills for example, I love to wear a highly breathable windproof shirt. When it starts raining I just put a hardshell on top of that. In my case, this is also a Montane Precip that I bought for £70 or so.

I see many £300+ jackets in the shop. I've never owned such an expensive jacket so I can't know for sure, but I just don't see the added value of these expensive jackets for walking.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:49:28, 23/06/20 »
I've dithered over a new tent for the best part of a year now, possibly longer. Must come to a decision soon, in time for some wild camping once lockdown ends.

The thing with tents is that, if you have thought about them for a bit, you cannot really go wrong imo. There are always trade-offs, but you will probably be happy with your choice knowing what these trade-offs were.

Myself, I have settled on two different tents for different kind of expected conditions. They both work in most conditions but they excel at different conditions. So based on the kind of area and season I pick one of these two and have never regretted my choice. For just the UK/ Northern Europe I would always pick the same tent.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:53:38, 23/06/20 »
Footwear.  I've always suffered with foot problems and unfortunately the most comfortable boots I've ever found ended up bought and rebranded (and reduced quality), so my quest for some truly comfortable boots has been ongoing for years now.

Yes, footwear is the most important and therefore most difficult choice. And it is also the most personal, so other people's opinion is useless in this matter. You really have to find out by yourself. But you cannot really know until you have walked a couple of hundred miles on them.

Litehiker

« Reply #22 on: 03:25:26, 03/07/20 »
-> Deciding to cough $600. for a Tarptent Notch Li solo tent. I finally did cough it up. (Still coughing but the tent IS very good.)

Eric B.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy