Author Topic: Offas Dyke fastest time record broken  (Read 4539 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Offas Dyke fastest time record broken
« on: 12:54:10, 26/03/19 »
This came up on my facebook page, thought it may be of interest to some on here.  They completed
Offas Dyke in 63 hours beating the previous record by over an hour.

https://www.facebook.com/offasdykechallenge/videos/343422579623069/

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Offas Dyke fastest time record broken
« Reply #1 on: 17:11:12, 27/03/19 »
63 hours, where did they get their record info from I wonder?The Offa's Dyke Ultra winner when all competitors wear a tracker has recorded faster times.2016 race 185 miles due to out to CP's and back to route - joint Winners, John Knapp and Frazer Hurst, 52 hours 26 minutes. 1st lady Michelle Bouten 62 Hrs 15min.        2017 race 185 miles   ..     ..      ..     ..      ..      ..     ..     ..   - winner, Gregory Crowley, 54 hours 54 minutes 04 seconds.
« Last Edit: 17:21:02, 27/03/19 by Slogger »

FTSTTLB

« Reply #2 on: 17:38:38, 27/03/19 »
63 hours, where did they get their record info from I wonder?The Offa's Dyke Ultra winner when all competitors wear a tracker has recorded faster times.2016 race 185 miles due to out to CP's and back to route - joint Winners, John Knapp and Frazer Hurst, 52 hours 26 minutes. 1st lady Michelle Bouten 62 Hrs 15min.        2017 race 185 miles   ..     ..      ..     ..      ..      ..     ..     ..   - winner, Gregory Crowley, 54 hours 54 minutes 04 seconds.
Well, strange indeed. The official account is also communicating about the broken record.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:06:19, 27/03/19 »
The link to the challenge was on the official Offas Dyke National Trail facebook page.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:31:11, 27/03/19 »
 The offical record was set by Micheal Wood in 2012.It seems that times set during ultra races are not recognised.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:40:04, 09/04/19 »
Yeah, I asked the question on their facebook. I was told that the times set by the Ultra winners were for a supported record, whilst the times set for their recent runners were unsupported.Whilst not really important, but possibly for the two guys who won the 1st Ultra, I would question the response and suggest that in fact more support was given to the recent 'record' holders than during the ultra's. They had a van in support and no one can tell me that they didn't have some food/drink and extra layers on board, also they had someone guide during the night on at least one section.
I was a CP volunteer during the 2016 race, and took part in the 2017 race.The winners of both years races were not supported apart from being able to access a small drop bag at CP's and grab some food. They did not sleep at all along the way, and had no support in between CP's. As far as the race is concerned too, they were listed as unsupported although some runners were officially supported and had access to a van etc. along the route.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:16:19, 10/04/19 »
 I am a bit baffled why the organisers don't recognise times set in ultra races.Most record setters have full support,including pacers and handlers supplying all their needs in terms of food and fluids and organising road crossings and rest periods.Does anyone competing in an ultra race have their needs met at such a high level? I should imagine that politics plays a part in this decision.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:29:52, 14/04/19 »
Ive just been looking on the Beyond marathon Facebook group and saw a mention that someone had posted about the same thing. Richard the BM owner, said that before their FKT attempt they contacted him with a view to hiring one of his trackers. He informed them of the record set during the first Offa's Dyke Race, so was surprised when they claimed the FKT. He also added that they told him they were doing it as a relay.The fact is that they had a support van (Mentioned as such in their report), they had someone guide them through at least one night, and people who organised the rest and sleep stops, and runners that ran with them in stages. Clearly they did not set a new FKT.

Jasonwhh

« Reply #8 on: 00:15:35, 12/09/20 »
Let me explain, I organised this adventure not with the intention of a FKT. 
The notion of FKT came when we asked the Offas Dyke association what the fasted recorded time they had, not under race conditions as that’s would be a race record, this is just my understanding.
We never said it was a relay, this must have been a miscommunication.
We never said it was unsupported.
We were open about the support vehicle. 
It was a fundraising exercise for Welsh Air Ambulance.
Two of our team completed 177miles of the path in 63hrs1min.  I’m immensely proud of them.

This is the definition of FKT..
Fastest Known Time attempts (also known as FKTs) are, in the simplest terms, speed records for trails and established routes. Instead of a typical race with formal organization, aid stations, and spectators.  

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:34:35, 12/09/20 »
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.
I wondered where you got your definition of FKT from. Ultra running is not my world but my understanding was that it was the fastest time a route has been done which is know about.
Taking the definition to its logical conclusion Kipchoge does not have the FKT for the London marathon course and, stretching a point beyond its elastic limit, possibly Ussain Bolt not the FKT for 100m.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy