Author Topic: Walking the Cleveland Way (virtually!)  (Read 5132 times)

strawy

Re: Walking the Cleveland Way (virtually!)
« Reply #45 on: 16:27:04, 02/05/20 »
At low tide you can wlk along the beach instead of the road past the golf course.  The cycle track into Sandsend is actually remnants of an old railway track bed of the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesborough Union railway line.  A pity you didn't get into Whitby 'Proper', forego the fish n chips and head to the Humble Pie N Mash shop instead  O0
I wonder how long the queue at the Magpie would be with social distancing in force...2 miles ??  ::)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 14:21:00, 03/05/20 »
Ah good old Whitby,one of my favourite places,remember a childhood holiday there,it was 1970,the football world cup was on in Mexico & Esso were giving away world cup coins "Dad go fill the car up" a Hillman Minx,Pele & a brilliant Brazil team,ah memories,they can cheer you up & sadden you at the same time  :)
Ive visited at least once a year since,I now live only 50 miles away but at the moment it feels like the other side of the world,i just hope i can make it this year  O0

I think this is 1971, not 1970, but it's close enough. Anyway, that's me (nearest the camera) with a couple of friends and the clapped-out Hillman Minx my dad gave me. Memories indeed!  :)

I loved those jeans!  8)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 14:53:02, 03/05/20 »
At low tide you can wlk along the beach instead of the road past the golf course.  The cycle track into Sandsend is actually remnants of an old railway track bed of the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesborough Union railway line.  A pity you didn't get into Whitby 'Proper', forego the fish n chips and head to the Humble Pie N Mash shop instead  O0
Thanks for the info about the cycle track.  O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 14:53:22, 03/05/20 »
Day 8 of my virtual hike along the Cleveland Way by treadmill began a mile east of Whitby. I passed through Robin Hood's Bay and ended today's walk about 3 miles south of Ravenscar. As on recent days, most of the path was along the cliff edge, with the occasional descent to a seaside town or village.

A couple of miles outside Whitby I passed Whitby Light Self-Catering Cottages. Before the lockdown, we'd almost settled on North Yorkshire for this year's summer walking holiday. I quite fancy staying in a lighthouse...

I had a good feeling about Robin Hood's Bay (it must be the name) and I wasn't disappointed. It looks like an amazing place, with loads of character and old-world charm:

I had a wander around some ruins I'd spotted on the satellite view while I was planning today's walk. I thought it might be Roman remains, but it was the remains of an alum works. Even so, the site is a few hundred years old and has a fascinating story; apparently, the Old Alum Works at Ravenscar has a claim to being the birthplace of Britain's chemical industry.

And a little way beyond Ravenscar, I passed the remains of a WW2 radar station:

That's 88 miles of the Cleveland Way done and only about 22 to go!

Toxicbunny

« Reply #49 on: 16:27:56, 03/05/20 »
Just along from Robin hoods bay is Boggle Hole it has YHA accommodation and it on the route of the Cleveland way.
Its also got a great cafe. When I'm walking that route I often pop in. Any excuse for tea and cake.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 16:43:22, 04/05/20 »
Day 9 of my treadmill trek along the Cleveland Way took me from somewhere near Staintondale to somewhere near Osgodby, passing through Scarborough on the way. With today's route being almost due south, I've rotated the map again to save space:

To be honest, there weren't many remarkable scenes to report on today. The path was like it appears on the image below for the first 6 miles - mostly fields to my right, the cliff edge to my left, and a few woody bits to add some much needed variety...

...but eventually I arrived at Scalby Ness and the scenery changed. From here, the Cleveland Way goes along a promenade for about 2 miles. I'm sure that in real life it's a fascinating walk with the castle and all, but in Street View there's little to see except the way ahead and it only got interesting when I went around the headland sticking out in the distance (Castle Cliff?)...

...and came to what I guess was once a toll gate, just before the harbour. With the path hugging the coast, I saw little of Scarborough, but I got the impression it's not unlike Margate or Southend - lots of amusement arcades, rides and ice cream!

I think maybe the best scenery was near the end. Leaving busy Scarborough behind, the path crossed fields and meadows and went through some very nice woodland:

There are only 6 miles to go before I reach the end of the trail. I did think of finishing it this afternoon, but instead I chose to do the final part of my ascent of Mount Fuji (what a rubbish mountain!) and some interval training (on a wonderful mountain!) near Lake Tahoe in California.  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 19:39:44, 04/05/20 »
Just catching up on where you've got to - you're nearly finished  :o   ... and now doing the bits I've done a few times being only an hour or so's drive away for me.

It's a pity the sun isn't out for you as it transforms the clifftop walking.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 22:24:53, 04/05/20 »
Just catching up on where you've got to - you're nearly finished  :o   ... and now doing the bits I've done a few times being only an hour or so's drive away for me.

It's a pity the sun isn't out for you as it transforms the clifftop walking.

I was conscious of the overcast weather and I wondered if there was a limited time slot for the trail to be Street Viewed - given that the camera gear is loaned to trail staff - so perhaps there was no choice but to record on dull days. Also, much of the Cleveland Way seems to have been covered during winter months, which doesn't show the trail at its best.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:43:09, 05/05/20 »
Day 10 and a short 6 mile walk to complete the Cleveland Way national trail by treadmill!  :)

When I was plotting today's route I had some difficulty in locating the actual finish point - or what my American virtual friends call a trailhead. I couldn't work out whether the Cleveland Way ends at Filey Brigg (the long sticking-out bit on the right of the map) or in Filey itself. So I played it safe by going through a country park and into town.

As I arrived at Filey Brigg, I spotted a sculpture that looked identical to the one in Helmsley where I started the trail. So now I know - the trailhead is on the corner right by the 5 mile mark on the route map.  :)  Filey Brigg itself is in the left of the photo:

And this is where my 10 day treadmill trek ended - a mile further on in Filey with a nice view of Filey Brigg:

I enjoyed my lockdown look at the Cleveland Way and, although experiencing it in Street View on a treadmill is far from walking it for real, I've a pretty fair idea of what the trail would be like in real life - the landscape, the ascents, the towns and the views. I was left with the impression that the Cleveland Way is like having two trails in one with the first section being along the edge of high heather-clad moors with amazing distant views, and the second section being a coast path along high cliffs with the way punctuated by visits to seaside towns and picturesque harbours. Excellent!   O0

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 12:51:08, 05/05/20 »
A great VT report, can I ask which make/model of treadmill you are using?
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 12:54:27, 05/05/20 »
A great VT report, can I ask which make/model of treadmill you are using?

Thank you.  :) The treadmill is a NordicTrack T8.5S.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #56 on: 16:58:40, 05/05/20 »
That was a fantastic read Dave. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
It gives me some idea of what to expect when I tackle various parts of it this year.

strawy

« Reply #57 on: 00:47:13, 06/05/20 »
I think this is 1971, not 1970, but it's close enough. Anyway, that's me (nearest the camera) with a couple of friends and the clapped-out Hillman Minx my dad gave me. Memories indeed!  :)

I loved those jeans!  8)
Proper jeans & hair,was that an LP cover  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 18:53:46, 06/05/20 »
Hey! Well done on completing your V-CW.  If you ever do it for real you'll have to scour the beach at Whitby for some jet  O0

Toxicbunny

« Reply #59 on: 19:13:02, 06/05/20 »
Hey! Well done on completing your V-CW.  If you ever do it for real you'll have to scour the beach at Whitby for some jet  O0
I've never found any Jet there but I have further down the coast.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy