Author Topic: Walking the Cleveland Way (virtually!)  (Read 5133 times)

Toxicbunny

Re: Walking the Cleveland Way (virtually!)
« Reply #15 on: 21:55:15, 28/04/20 »
I walk cringle moor to flyingdales area regular. Not recommended on a windy day though.
The starting stone for the Lyke wake is by cod beck reservoir opposite a small car park ( known locally as the sheepwash) in Osmotherley.  The farm on the route is full of cows I usually have to run. They say dont run in a field of cows but you have no option.  Also theres another field of cows belted galloways on the climb up clay bank again another run for it. I probably have to leg it as I have my dog.  Its beautiful when the Heather's out. You also pass a lot of unusual megalithic stones on route. The trouble is many are just marked as a boundary stone when they are not. The part of the cleveland way carr hill ridge I think it's called is an old pannier way so remains of old stone crosses and the likes are there. You can often spot birds of prey too.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:01:08, 29/04/20 »
Day 4 of my treadmill travels along the Cleveland Way is a day late I'm afraid. The reason for that is yesterday's rain, which resulted in me ending my three week run of not going out when I went for a real walk from home. But I've been back on the virtual road this morning... 

To be honest, today's 10.25 mile section was pretty boring, although it started and ended quite well.  :)

The moment I set off, the treadmill raised itself to the maximum incline and stayed that way for over a mile when the uphill slope finally began to ease off. At around two miles into the walk, I passed what I assume is the trig point marking the highest spot on the North York Moors. It was a little way off, but it can just be made out in the middle of the image:

Seasons can change quickly in virtual worlds and the lush purple heather of two days ago was now brown, which meant that the moors had a drab washed-out look about them. At somewhere around the four mile point, I passed a pair of monoliths. The OS map marks this spot as Burton Howe, which I believe is the site of a round barrow:

The track continued in an almost straight line for a few miles before views of the lowlands began to appear. Somewhere along this barely changing stretch, the rough track became a tarmacked track and then a narrow road. So the second half of the walk was entirely on tarmac.

Having spent about two hours looking at thousands of very similar images on my treadmill screen, it was something of a relief to begin the descent to the picturesque village of Kildale - enjoying the scenery and looking at the nice houses!

I can see from the map that shortly after setting off tomorrow I'll be passing Captain Cook's Monument. Sounds good...  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Florence Lamb

« Reply #17 on: 14:22:12, 29/04/20 »
Having walked the Cleveland Way x 4, camping all the way, this is bringing back great memories of a mostly enjoyable walk.  Thank you.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:54:14, 29/04/20 »
I enjoyed that section on the C2C last year - wonderful walking under big blue skies.  Stayed in Great Broughton, near your start point, and the hotel owner came in early, made us sausage and bacon butties for our early start. 

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:42:01, 29/04/20 »
I think that most walks are probably far better in real life.

Coming soon: the treadmill VR version complete with body sensors: experience the gales, lashing rain and clag as well.  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:50:52, 29/04/20 »
Coming soon: the treadmill VR version complete with body sensors: experience the gales, lashing rain and clag as well.  :)

When I did my first outdoor walk for 3 weeks yesterday, the first half was straight into a brisk wind and heavy rain. I'd forgotten what it was like to have to battle against something stronger than the gentle breeze from the treadmill's fan.   :)

Toxicbunny

« Reply #21 on: 18:14:13, 29/04/20 »
Anyone walked this route will have seen this stone.

It's known as the face stone on route to the Lion Inn blakey ridge. I tend to do walks looking for the old narrows and remains .

Deolman

« Reply #22 on: 08:45:24, 30/04/20 »
Planning to walk the Cleveland Way in September, just hoping things may be back to a resemblance of normal by then.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:06:24, 30/04/20 »
Day 5 of my treadmill trek along the Cleveland Way had four distinct parts: more moors, pine plantations, wonderful woods, and familiar farmland.  :)

I began today just past Kildale and after a mile of pleasant uphill woodland walking I arrived on the moors near Captain Cook's Monument. Apparently, the young James Cook attended school in nearby Great Ayton:

A little further on I passed a cute hill with a cute name: Roseberry Topping.  :)

And then it was back to otherwise featureless heather-clad moorland, which, to be honest, had started to get a tad tedious. Still, that was the final stretch before the long descent... 

...firstly through a pine plantation...

...and later the path spent a most pleasant period passing through delightful deciduous woodland...

...finally emerging onto familiar farmland and a nice muddy path. It felt a bit like home!

I've now done a little over 50 miles of the Cleveland Way, which leaves about 60 miles to go. I think I'll up the daily distance to around 12 miles so as to complete the trail in another 5 days.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #24 on: 16:03:06, 30/04/20 »
Roseberry Topping aka The Cleveland matterhorn. I believe you climb it as part of the Cleveland way. If you climb Roseberry topping you can see Aireyholm farm this is the farm Captain Cook lived on before Great Ayton. Captain cooks monument was erected there due to him walking up there from the farm. Thought I'd drop a bit of history there. If I walk that way I always buy my eggs on the way home from the farm there is a ROW through it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:08:18, 30/04/20 »
Roseberry Topping aka The Cleveland matterhorn. I believe you climb it as part of the Cleveland way. If you climb Roseberry topping you can see Aireyholm farm this is the farm Captain Cook lived on before Great Ayton. Captain cooks monument was erected there due to him walking up there from the farm. Thought I'd drop a bit of history there. If I walk that way I always buy my eggs on the way home from the farm there is a ROW through it.

Interesting, thanks for that.  O0

I discovered afterwards that there's a there-and-back spur to Roseberry Topping from the Cleveland Way that I missed when I plotted the route, so I didn't climb it. However... this being a virtual walk means I can do just that short section later on today.  8)

Toxicbunny

« Reply #26 on: 17:58:48, 30/04/20 »
Interesting, thanks for that.  O0

I discovered afterwards that there's a there-and-back spur to Roseberry Topping from the Cleveland Way that I missed when I plotted the route, so I didn't climb it. However... this being a virtual walk means I can do just that short section later on today.  8)
The history on it is pretty interesting.  Back in the day a druid lived in a cave on the top and there was a sacred well. On modern day maps this spring is still marked on there even though its dried up. Artifacts relating to the druid were sent to some museum.  It is also known as Odins Hill as it was also a Viking lookout. Once your at the top you can see why. There is a quarry nearby and when it was mined back in the early 1900s the top of Roseberry Topping collapsed and the cave.  If you look virtually you will see the big boulders at the bottom. I'm a bit of a history nerd  ;D

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:48:40, 30/04/20 »
There's a nice circular walk taking in the Cleveland 3 peaks of  Roseberry Topping, Hichcliffe Nab and Easby Moor (Cook's Monument), don't know how much of it is 'virtually' walkable but if restrictions are lifted I'll certainly be willing to carry one of DG's cameras to do it.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #28 on: 18:59:56, 30/04/20 »
There's a nice circular walk taking in the Cleveland 3 peaks of  Roseberry Topping, Hichcliffe Nab and Easby Moor (Cook's Monument), don't know how much of it is 'virtually' walkable but if restrictions are lifted I'll certainly be willing to carry one of DG's cameras to do it.
I thinks around 10 miles or just less.  Highcliffe Nabb got my legs on that walk  O0  once restrictions are lifted I will be up there with a drone. My husband bought a decent one then came lockdown.  Hasnt had chance to fly it yet.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:23:04, 30/04/20 »
... this being a virtual walk means I can do just that short section later on today.  8)
As promised, I did the Roseberry Topping spur. It was just over a mile there and back from the main Cleveland Way trail. Interestingly (I thought), was that it looked a lot bigger from a distance than it is - the 'summit' is a fair bit lower than the main CW path.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy