Author Topic: Place Fell  (Read 1338 times)

Skinny Walker

Place Fell
« on: 13:22:42, 16/05/08 »
Well I have done it at last. I started walking again a year or so ago. I live near the Peak District and have done plenty of walking in that area. That said my plan has always been to do the Wainrights.

This twinned with the fact that I am very very unfit meant I put this challenge off time and again but I figured my Birthday would be the best time to start! But now I have started 1 down and 213 to go. My target is to complete all 214 by my 45th Birthday (I am 33 - If I do 20 per year I should be finished early)

Anyway, the Place Fell report......

The plan was to do the route from Patterdale (we were camping at Side Farm so started from there) up to Boredale Hause, up the side of Place Fell and down the other side to Sandwick and then along the well used path from there back to Patterdale along the shore of Ullswater.

The day was wonderful and warm, my other half Sian and out two Greyhounds (Ace and Millie) came too (much to their disgust!)

We got to the top (being overtaken all the way) after passing a JCB half way up (not really what I was hoping to see on the fells!) sorting out the path. The views were amazing but they were getting worse (hazy) as the day went on. We got to the top at about lunch time (see cheesy Photo  ;D) and had a bite to eat, on the way down we took the alternative path via the Knight. On the way down just after Low Moss Sian took a tumble and really badly hurt her ankle, this was at about 2pm.

We decided to drop down to Sandwick then I'd nip back to Patterdale and get the car to pick her up....but no, she decided that she would be able to get back....pain what pain. (It turns out later she was expecting the path was nice and flat, ike a pavement!!)

So we didn't enjoy this last part as it took about 5 hrs!! Yes that is 0.5 miles per hour!! We got back at about 7:30

(This was on Fri 9th May)

All this said the ankle is now on the mend and we are going to hit Angletarn and Beda Fell on BH weekend (assuming the ankle heals)

Hope this report was OK and feel free to give it some constructive critisism!  ;)

You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Place Fell
« Reply #1 on: 15:43:11, 16/05/08 »
Well done and nice report, hope Sian is soon better.

Looking at the map I'm sure I've been up Place Fell but it's not on my list, now I have to try and work out when it was and who I was with so I can check.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:57:49, 17/05/08 »
Well done on your 1st Wainwright. A good report.

When you do Beda Fell and Angletarn Pikes dont't forget Brock Crags or you'll have to go back for it later.

This is the walk we did for them
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/w0026.htm

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Skinny Walker

« Reply #3 on: 21:28:52, 17/05/08 »
Ahh Brock Crag, thanks I would have had to go all the way back just to bag 1! ;D

My plan is to methodically work through each of AW's books starting on the Far Eastern Fells, will this work or do you think seeing the same scenery from different angles will get boring. Advice happily accepted.

As you can see from the photo I am certainly not Scafell, Hellvelyn or Skiddaw fit so will be starting low and working my way fit. 
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:13:32, 19/05/08 »
My plan is to methodically work through each of AW's books starting on the Far Eastern Fells, will this work or do you think seeing the same scenery from different angles will get boring. Advice happily accepted.

I quite like to do a few walks close together to get an area in my head so that you feel how it fits together. I also, if I'm in a new building for any length of time, like to be able to piece together its layout in my head so it may just be some problem that I have :-\.

If you do start to get bored with an area there are plenty more hills to try and then you can come back later, you don't have to decide the order your going to walk them all in yet. Just enjoy it.
« Last Edit: 13:24:48, 19/05/08 by Ridge »

greenman

« Reply #5 on: 13:17:40, 19/05/08 »
Nice report, keep working your way though,may see you on one of the walks.
greenman

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy