Author Topic: Lairig Ghru  (Read 1796 times)

myxpyr

Lairig Ghru
« on: 12:24:28, 19/03/19 »
I'm thinking about walking the Lairig Ghru later this year. Although I understand it can be done in a day, being beyond my first flush of youth at 73 I was thinking about an overnight stop at the Corrour Bothy.
I've done a fair bit of walking in Wales, the Lakes, Pyrenees and the Alps but very little in Scotland. Many web sites I've consulted seem to emphasis the seriousness of the Lairig Ghru but none seem to offer any specific details as to where the "seriousness" lies. Can anyone advise on this please?
Looking at the maps and web images I get the impression that there is no undue steepness and that, for the most part, the path is well defined. I assume, therefore, that it's the remoteness that makes it serious.
Grateful for any info.
Thanks

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Lairig Ghru
« Reply #1 on: 12:45:12, 19/03/19 »
The Lairig Ghru is just a long walk, the path has been much improved over the last few years. Depending on where you're starting/finishing it's a comfortable two days walk. Corrour is a little south of halfway so a convenient overnight stop but it can be very crowded.
The weather is your only real concern, the Lairig Ghru can be a wind funnel, but contrary to popular belief the sun does actually shine in Scotland sometimes.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 12:55:15, 19/03/19 »
Many thanks for the reply. I'm planning on leaving my car in Braemar. If I finish up having to walk ALL the way to Linn of Dee(if I don't get a lift) I was going to spend an additional night at Bob Scott's Bothy.
Thanks again for your reply.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:56:53, 19/03/19 »
Sounds like a good plan, hope you get the weather and a lift.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:23:55, 21/03/19 »
I'm thinking about walking the Lairig Ghru later this year. Although I understand it can be done in a day, being beyond my first flush of youth at 73 I was thinking about an overnight stop at the Corrour Bothy.
I've done a fair bit of walking in Wales, the Lakes, Pyrenees and the Alps but very little in Scotland. Many web sites I've consulted seem to emphasis the seriousness of the Lairig Ghru but none seem to offer any specific details as to where the "seriousness" lies. Can anyone advise on this please?
Looking at the maps and web images I get the impression that there is no undue steepness and that, for the most part, the path is well defined. I assume, therefore, that it's the remoteness that makes it serious.
Grateful for any info.
Thanks

Just to clarify on this - I wouldn't say it is 'serious', however it is in places rocky and with a heavy pack in wet/icy weather it can be a bit of a risk.  For Corrour Bothy - it is not a large bothy and is one of the busiest due to the proximity to Aviemore, so be prepared to camp outside if the place is occupied with a suitable shelter.  Perhaps the guides emphasise this to try to keep family trips away as once you are in the LG there is a fair walk to anywhere in particular - most usually end up at Derry Lodge then Braemar but you may want to cut through the quieter glens to the south also if this is a multi day hike you're planning for yourself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy