Author Topic: TR: Munro Bagging in Holderness  (Read 1667 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Munro Bagging in Holderness
« Reply #15 on: 17:47:29, 04/06/20 »
Great report. I like the arty-farty pics too, and the barley/fluff by Fluffy Flanked Track. My family is from Hull so I'm vaguely familiar with the area. My dad's in Driffield now, so I've walked a bit there, but never in Holderness. My mum used to cycle out to places like Withernsea as a lass.

Cheers  :)   I'm quite amazed how many folks know, or know of, this back of beyond corner of England.

A  great entertaining report and pics, a lovely varied walk.  O0
I'm convinced those species boards are drawn up by dedicated twitchers who spend endless hours watching, just to tease mere walkers. Every one is a list of the birds you might see but almost certainly won't.
Same thing applies to nature reserve boards, the very places where you're guaranteed not to see any uncommon wildlife at all.

Cheers VGH.  Yes, this is a nature reserve too so there was no chance of spotting anything on the board  ;D

Very good Mel.

A great alternative TR. It's good to see our imaginations and sense of humour are not being affected by all this. Currently working on my alternative/imaginative TR  :)

All I've got left is my sense of humour.  My sanity vanished a while ago  :D

I'll keep an eye out for your TR  O0

snaderson

« Reply #16 on: 07:51:27, 05/06/20 »
I'm quite amazed how many folks know, or know of, this back of beyond corner of England
As Philip Larkin (about Hull) put it, "Where only salesmen and relations come".   :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:13:41, 05/06/20 »
Cheers Richard.  I think a "Stumpy" should be your next project  O0

Have to wait until I've finished Old Brown first - at the rate that I am going it will be weeks before he is done!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:03:52, 05/06/20 »
As Philip Larkin (about Hull) put it, "Where only salesmen and relations come".  :)

I've spotted a few Philip Larkin quotes on my travels, mainly when I worked in Hull.

Have to wait until I've finished Old Brown first - at the rate that I am going it will be weeks before he is done!

You'll have to post a pic of him when he's done  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:24:30, 05/06/20 »

I've spotted a few Philip Larkin quotes on my travels, mainly when I worked in Hull.

Off topic, so I apologise, but I once met Phillip Larkin, when he was librarian at Hull University.  Back in 1984 or 85 we students occupied the library as a protest against something or other, probably to do with Thatcher.  The Uni sent in court officers to order us out, but then left us to it.  Around 11 at night I was playing cards with some friend when the lift door opened and in walks Phillip Larkin, surveying the scene.  He came over and sat with us for a while, but declined a hand of three brag as he felt it wouldn't look good to be consorting too closely with the occupiers.  Happy days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:04:15, 05/06/20 »
You'll have to post a pic of him when he's done  :)

With or without Squirrel Nutkin's tail?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #21 on: 13:08:55, 05/06/20 »
@pdstsp: to carry on OT (sorry Mel), my uncle (from Cottingham) used to know Larkin slightly as they were both jazz aficionados. Any a mate of mine went to Hull uni in the 80s too. I'm a big fan of Larkin's work.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy