Author Topic: TR - Wildboar Clough & Bleaklow  (Read 2984 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
TR - Wildboar Clough & Bleaklow
« on: 21:13:14, 04/01/18 »
Scrambling Wildboar Clough. Ice made things a little tricky but we managed two out of the three main scrambles - the third waterfall had to be bypassed. One for another time. Bleaklow was, well, Bleaklow.

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/bleaklow-via-wildboar-clough.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Wildboar Clough & Bleaklow
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:36, 04/01/18 »
Great pics Dave
Love the ice formations and the misty longdendale shot  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:05:19, 04/01/18 »
Great report and pics  O0 I am liking very much that you did proper nav with a map and compass  O0  ;)

Looks like a good scramble up those falls  :)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:52:07, 04/01/18 »
I enjoyed reading that.  Loved the frozen waterfalls - something I've never seen in real life yet.

Thanks for posting  :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:55:21, 04/01/18 »
I am liking very much that you did proper nav with a map and compass

The scrambling was fun but, for me, it was the navigation practice that made the day.

Bleaklow's summit plateau covers several square miles of boggy peat moorland. It's fairly featureless and when the cloud is down it's an eerie empty world. That makes it ideal for navigation.

Dave and I both  have a good grasp of navigation basics. But although both of us always carry maps and compasses we tend to use GPS for its convenient positioning capability and on-screen mapping. But on this occasion the Garmin stayed in Dave's bag (although it remained switched on to record our progress) so that we could polish up our skills at traditional map-and-compass work.

As we left Wildboar Clough the visibility was barely 50 metres. We chose as our objective the big pole-topped cairn at Bleaklow Head, mainly because it is an easy feature to identify.

We set the map and took the necessary bearing(s) from it. Then we set off into the murk across the undulating peat following our first bearing.

We practised walking 'on the needle' in the restricted visibility and also used the 'two person steering' technique, where the lead person walks ahead guided left or right by the trailing person. Back in the car later, we were pleased to see the Garmin recorded our track as a straight line.

Other techniques we practised included aiming off, identifying and using a catching feature, following handrails, estimating distance by timing and by pacing, and using the compass's Romer to measure distance on the map. We followed our progress on the map, 'ticking off' each feature and change of bearing as we passed it.

The result was rewardingly accurate - pleasingly, the cairn loomed out of the mist exactly where and when we expected it to.

Then, as Dave's TR says, we descended beside Torside Clough, getting back to the car as dusk fell.

Although it was a weekend we had Bleaklow to ourselves: in fact, we saw only one couple all day after we started up Wildboar Clough.

All in all, it was an interesting afternoon on the hill with a rather different focus than our usual forays in the Peak District.
Skip

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:03:21, 05/01/18 »
Great photos Dave O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:43:30, 05/01/18 »
OH GOOD GRIEF!
That looks a bit hardcore..................think I will pass on ever doing the clough!
Great pics of icey waterfalls  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

tom83

« Reply #7 on: 20:59:29, 06/01/18 »
Love those pictures, they are fantastic.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:17:27, 08/01/18 »
Great TR! As others have said, those waterfalls look incredible!  O0

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:33:09, 08/01/18 »
It was a fantastically atmospheric day with mist from almost the start. What's more, all these photos were taken on my phone as I forgot to put the SD card back in the camera.
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

harry_keogh

« Reply #10 on: 16:33:30, 08/01/18 »
A great route! Brings back memories of when I did it... although there was no ice then :)

There's a few more scrambles along that edge that I'm hoping to try out later this year

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:19:42, 08/01/18 »
There's a few more scrambles along that edge that I'm hoping to try out later this year

Let us know if you want some company ...
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy