Author Topic: Wicklow Way  (Read 2331 times)

hikeview

Wicklow Way
« on: 17:26:14, 07/08/12 »
Hi

We walked a 13 mile section of the Wicklow Way from Drumgoff in Glenmalure heading South as far as Moyne. Cumulative climb was about 550m and the time at 5 hours (including a quick lunch) was close to the estimate from Naismiths Rule.

For the information of anyone else looking to walk in the area we got back to our starting point using Aughrim Cabs, which is actually a mini bus and seems to regularly provide this kind of transport for walkers. They were on time and middle of the road price wise (€30) so I'd consider them if you need transport in the area. He even didn't mind my friend's  (very farty) dog coming along.

Hikeview

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
Re: Wicklow Way
« Reply #1 on: 17:45:46, 07/08/12 »
Hi hikeview

It looks a fabulous area to walk  :)

I've never thought about "walking" in Ireland BUT mrs and I keep promising ourselves a visit. Now I know I MUST visit before too long !!!

Derek

hikeview

« Reply #2 on: 09:05:44, 08/08/12 »
Well if you do, give me a shout, I can recommend any number of routes in Wicklow or further South around the Galtys, Comeraghs and Knockmealdowns.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:51:31, 08/08/12 »
Hi hikeview

I've never thought about "walking" in Ireland BUT mrs and I keep promising ourselves a visit. Now I know I MUST visit before too long !!!

Derek

It is a fabulous area indeed Derek. Only been walking in Ireland the one time - spent a few days in Ventry (near Dingle) for a trip up Mount Brandon and a few days in Killarney for a wander up Carrauntoohil. Enjoyed some leisurely trips and walks around part of the Kerry coast (magnificent scenery), part of the Lakes near Killarney and a very memorable day out on Valentia Island with a visit to the Altazamuth Stone.
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:34:16, 08/08/12 »

It is a fabulous area indeed Derek. Only been walking in Ireland the one time - spent a few days in Ventry (near Dingle) for a trip up Mount Brandon and a few days in Killarney for a wander up Carrauntoohil. Enjoyed some leisurely trips and walks around part of the Kerry coast (magnificent scenery), part of the Lakes near Killarney and a very memorable day out on Valentia Island with a visit to the Altazamuth Stone.

And no mention of Guiness............ Kevin, don't tell me you've gone teetotal  !  ;)    ;D

It certainly sounds like a place I must visit even if it means driving around the coutryside as Mrs D cannot do walking!
I wonder if I can find an off-road mobility scooter for the mrs ?!   ;)    ;D

Derek

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:57:29, 08/08/12 »
Hi hikeview

Derek

.. and then write a book about it eh Del?  ;) O0
roll on the weekend

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:00:55, 08/08/12 »
.. and then write a book about it eh Del?  ;) O0

Don't know if I'd have time to write a book ............. remember I'm retired now Richard  ;)    ;D

Derek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy