Author Topic: Portuguese Camino starting September 2018  (Read 5471 times)

peterjohn42

Portuguese Camino starting September 2018
« on: 01:01:30, 10/12/17 »
Hi guys,

I am looking at walking the Portuguese Camino starting in September 2018.

I would love to chat with any fellow member who have done this walk from Porto to Santiago in Spain, 600km or maybe are planning to do this walk, or even better, any members who fancy doing the walk but put off as no one to go with, please get back to me.

I have walked the Way of St James, the French Camino last year in two parts but really fancy doing the whole of the Portuguese Camino in one session, taking between 30 and 40 days to complete.

If you can help with any information or fancy doing the walk then i am keen to hear from you.

Peter.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Portuguese Camino starting September 2018
« Reply #1 on: 06:49:37, 10/12/17 »
I can't help but I am thinking about walking the French Camino.  Did you (or anyone else that can help)pick up accommodation along the way or did you go with one of the UK travel companies so that you can be sure of a bed for the night?  If so I would like to know which one you used and any feedback on them or for any other companies you may heard from fellow pilgrims.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:52:21, 10/12/17 »
HI Harland  I did the Camino Frances last April. I used the hostels for the first half of the walk and then booked up in bnbs for the rest of the way on a daily basis.  There was no "bed  race" in April. But I got fed up at the lack of privacy and general lack of sleep due to the nature of hostels. Some were  great, all were  clean. I use booking.com to book ahead. Some days, if I didn't feel too good I would send my bag on to the next bed stop. All hostels and most bnbs can help you sort that out. In short no need to book through an expensive holiday company. You meet loads of people. Be aware of the bed race later on in the year! Carry water but no real need to carry food. Loads of places to shop. Carry the absolute minimum. Strong mind is of more importance than strong legs as it can become a grind.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:02:33, 10/12/17 »
Can you just claify please. When you write the 'French Camino' do you mean the route that goes across Spain only or do you mean you walked from a starting point in France? I've walked the GR65 from Le Puy to Figeac, I then turned off on the GR4, is the 'French Camino' part of this?

I like the idea of the Potuguese route, I'll look it up.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:36:50, 10/12/17 »
Hello PJ42,
If it would help you....a friend of mine sent me some details and images of this route many years back.
The main diary would be too big to include in a e mail but the Schedule and a few other notes would perhaps be helpful?
Let me have an e mail and I will send....I am sure that my friend would not mind me doing this....I have not walked this route myself.
My mail address is [email protected]

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:19:54, 10/12/17 »
Can you just claify please. When you write the 'French Camino' do you mean the route that goes across Spain only or do you mean you walked from a starting point in France? I've walked the GR65 from Le Puy to Figeac, I then turned off on the GR4, is the 'French Camino' part of this?

I like the idea of the Potuguese route, I'll look it up.

It is the one starting in France at St John Pied de Port through to Santiago, Spain.  The GR65, from what I can find on the Internet, doesn't appear to be part of the route.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:24:17, 10/12/17 »
Strong mind is of more importance than strong legs as it can become a grind.
That is what I guy told me at Edale, my first LDP - he was right - yes I did make it!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:39:50, 10/12/17 »
Re; harland. I always use www.gr-infos.com to plan my French hiking routes. The GR65 is correct on my map, not only could I follow the red/white paint flashes en route but I also had the back up of the shell signs as well. I walked to Figeac (then turn onto the GR4 through the Dordogne) but if I had strolled on I would have eventually ended up at St. John Pied de Port in the Pyrenees.

I relly enjoyed the route, not difficult at all, it was just the distance and the very hot that sapped my stamina, the locals had even special toilets for hikers in a few places, lots of stopping places, campsites, villages etc, churches all over the place, some even manned by their parishoners handing out free water to us that passed by, a couple of times even offered free coffee and cakes as well. In the hot sun the views were wonderful, the people most helpful and the food and wine was fantastic. In total, I ended at Bergerac, I walked for three weeks.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:49:40, 10/12/17 »
Although I don't drink wine normally I may make an exception!:-

The wine fountain is part of the ancient Monastery of Irache in Ayegui which is essentially a suburb of Estelle.  There are two fountains, built in 1991, which are known as the Wine Source and Source Irache, one dispenses wine and the other fresh water.  The fountain is gated and open between 8am and 8pm daily.  There are two signs at the fountain:

“We are pleased to invite you to drink in moderation. If you wish to take the wine with you, you will have to buy it.”

“Pilgrim, if you wish to arrive at Santiago full of strength and vitality, have a drink of this great wine and make a toast to happiness.”

Now that is really a proper welcome to their Monastery!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:21:49, 10/12/17 »
Harland that was indeed a pleasant welcome. In fact the route has few hard stages, a couple of slippy  downhills were my worst memory,  and I did miss a couple of very obvious signposts, but the path is so well trod that with the route is an easy slog. I got bored in places to be truthful, and towards the last 100 miles made a conscious decision to walk at least 30 miles per day which by then I managed. Santiago itself was wonderful, so much so that i want to return there just  for a holiday.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Rather be walking

« Reply #10 on: 16:37:18, 10/12/17 »
This link to Trail Journals website might be worth read reading.
http://www.trailjournals.com/journals/camino_de_portugues

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

peterjohn42

« Reply #11 on: 17:08:39, 10/12/17 »
I can't help but I am thinking about walking the French Camino.  Did you (or anyone else that can help)pick up accommodation along the way or did you go with one of the UK travel companies so that you can be sure of a bed for the night?  If so I would like to know which one you used and any feedback on them or for any other companies you may heard from fellow pilgrims.

This book is worth every penny, gives you a lot of information in one book, including the full route map, locations of most of the Albergues (cheap accommodation), cafes, towns and villages and heights climbing, no need for any other books or maps on the French Camino.
« Last Edit: 17:12:51, 10/12/17 by peterjohn42 »

Rather be walking

« Reply #12 on: 12:18:23, 11/12/17 »
This is the book you'll need.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”

peterjohn42

« Reply #13 on: 14:02:09, 11/12/17 »
Thanks Jon for that info but I did get that book 2days ago from Amazon, that range of books by John Brierley are brilliant, easy to follow and lots of useful information.

Rather be walking

« Reply #14 on: 19:21:52, 11/12/17 »
No problem. I too used his guide.  O0
 I found The Meseta - Burgos to Hornillos a long flat slog.

Jon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy