Author Topic: best maps app  (Read 5321 times)

maxmarengo

Re: best maps app
« Reply #30 on: 12:25:13, 18/02/19 »
I am a ViewRanger fan.
If you want a walking SatNav, try OSMand. This uses OpenStreetMap data and will give voice instructions for walking in streets and country.  Most useful for navigating around foreign cities, but it sort of works cross country.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:41:22, 18/02/19 »
I am a ViewRanger fan.
If you want a walking SatNav, try OSMand. This uses OpenStreetMap data and will give voice instructions for walking in streets and country.  Most useful for navigating around foreign cities, but it sort of works cross country.

The problem I had with OSM is that you are following a footpath and all of a sudden it 'just disappears, off the map, You are stood next to a footpath 'finger post' but no footpath is shown on the map, or it shows paths that do not seem to exist in reality.

I believe that it is not based on any OS mapping and is built up from various peoples 'reports' and 'crowdsourced' data which may or may not be accurate.

maxmarengo

« Reply #32 on: 18:01:14, 18/02/19 »
You need to be aware of its limitations. Coverage and quality can be patchy, particularly in places where not many people contribute. However in some remote countries it is the best easily available mapping.
I find that in "Right to Roam" areas it is often more useful than the OS map as OSM will show the walked line of a path rather than the definitive and will also show other paths.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:57:43, 19/02/19 »

Just another (alternative) view.
I always like to try and have alternative (back-up) methods of doing things.

Using your phone as a navigation device just seems 'dangerous' to me.

If you fall and land on your phone you could break it,
If you drop it, it could smash the screen on a rock, or fall in a stream
If the batteries go 'flat'...…………….

Not only have you lost your means of navigation but you have also lost your method of calling for help.

When using navigation on my phone I found that it was quite 'heavy' on batteries and I needed to carry a 'battery bank' (recharging unit) if doing full-day hikes.

My own choice is that the phone stays safely wrapped up in the pack and I use a dedicated navigation device, SatMap, Garmin or whatever.
My personal choice is a SatMap as it has a larger screen for 'tired old eyes'.

All quite early days issues to be honest. Personally I have used a smartphone now for at least 15 years. They have evolved wonderfully over the years.
I do carry an old one as backup. I used to carry a spare battery, frankly today the phone is good for a full weekend of GPS work on its battery.
It is rugged and waterproof.. though if it were not I would use a case that is.
I do track every walk I do, though TBH doubt I use actual navigation so much. I either am happy to wander off piste and see where I end up or know where I am anyway.
A few seconds of referring to the Map on the phone is more than enough. I have an image of the map in my head.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:05:13, 19/02/19 »

All quite early days issues to be honest. Personally I have used a smartphone now for at least 15 years. They have evolved wonderfully over the years.
I do carry an old one as backup. I used to carry a spare battery, frankly today the phone is good for a full weekend of GPS work on its battery.
It is rugged and waterproof.. though if it were not I would use a case that is.
I do track every walk I do, though TBH doubt I use actual navigation so much. I either am happy to wander off piste and see where I end up or know where I am anyway.
A few seconds of referring to the Map on the phone is more than enough. I have an image of the map in my head.
Spot on.
 O0 O0 O0 the truth is even a rugged Garmin could drop over a cliff, or the wind catch your paper map and send it kiting in shreds into the air or you drop your compass and accidentally tread on it. 
Too little, too late, too bad......

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:20:01, 19/02/19 »
Spot on.
 O0 O0 O0 the truth is even a rugged Garmin could drop over a cliff, or the wind catch your paper map and send it kiting in shreds into the air or you drop your compass and accidentally tread on it.
Exactly. Its not worth trying to prove one system is better than another. They can all supplement each other if needed, or if used in isolation , with a smidgeon of common sense, any of the many forms of navigation nowadays are all worth their weight in gold.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:06:05, 19/02/19 »
When I look back I realise how unprepared I was for the unexpected.  I carried a map and compass. No back up to either.

Now I don't carry a paper map. I have an electronic one on my GPS and a back up on my smartphone.  I also carry a compass.  Far better prepared for the unexpected than I ever was in the past.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:29:15, 19/02/19 »
As point of interest.  Heading back from the Ted hughes memorial, middle of Dartmoor. On Friday evening pitch dark.  No need for a head touch, due to having a fine moon shadow.  I glanced up at the sky and there was Polaris.  Bang on North. Which just so happened to be the way I needed to go. O0

MichaelZ

« Reply #38 on: 11:25:36, 21/05/21 »
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone comes across it, there is now a new app specifically made for fell-walking in the Lakes. Comes with offline map and the route network is just for fell-walking. It's called Fellbase and can be found on the App Store or Google Play. There is also a website with more info at Fellbase.com.

Daz7

« Reply #39 on: 12:19:04, 21/05/21 »
Os maps for defo. Buy the map for the area u like to visit , on the inside of the map is a silver foil square scratch off which will give u a code type that in and it will give u a free digital version for your phone, you can plot your routes , off line gps, it's brilliant

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:44:57, 21/05/21 »
There is a website callled Haroldstreet  https://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/  which has routes all over the UK.  For a voluntary contribution, you can download a gpx file of any of these routes to follow on your favourite navigation app.  If you upload the gpx file of any route you have walked, it can be shared with others and in return it will consult its database of hills and log which Monroes, Wainwrights, Marilyns, trig points, Humps, Thumps, Heweys, Deweys, Louis, Corbetts, Barkers etc you have been over. https://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/waypoints/
Solvitur Ambulando

Steve and Angie

« Reply #41 on: 18:13:47, 29/05/21 »
I use OS maps and really cant fault them. I originally subscribed when they charged 19.99. My subscription has remained the same price since. I find they are just as good offline as online. Exmoor being basically no data signal. Have used many GPX walks from various apps without problem.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:22:20, 29/05/21 »
I use OS maps and really cant fault them. I originally subscribed when they charged 19.99. My subscription has remained the same price since. I find they are just as good offline as online. Exmoor being basically no data signal. Have used many GPX walks from various apps without problem.
Try following a planned route while recording where you actually went.  OS app can't do it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy