Author Topic: Too many races and events?  (Read 6969 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Too many races and events?
« Reply #45 on: 21:25:41, 11/02/18 »
You must all be mistaken, i am not taking part in the Brecon Ultra, Tonyk has got mixed up with his events.
Someone ( Tonyk) has mistakenly confused the South Wales Marathon Walk, which was one of the longest running continuous running Challenge Event in the Uk, until its demise in 1997 or 8, with the Brecon Ultra.

Sorry about that.I was under the impression you wanted a scenic challenge in the Beacons.The entry price is quite reasonable,at least for one of these kind of events.

Mel can enter instead and we can put a tracker on her. ;)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 22:43:45, 11/02/18 »
Oh. So no trip to Wales then. Are you sure you couldn't organise a meet up event Dyffryn.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 13:35:54, 12/02/18 »
Ha!! You'd be thinking the tracker had broken the speed I walk!!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 16:16:59, 12/02/18 »
That would be two of us Mel ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 18:20:13, 12/02/18 »
Yayyyy, a fellow snail  O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 08:58:17, 13/02/18 »
A public right of way is just what it says.  People have a right to use it, for whatever purpose they choose.

Most of the congestion is in the National Parks. Race organisations already need permission from the National Park authority in order to run them. So no banning by landowners is required. All that would need to happen would be the NP to give out less permissions.

They already do limit it in AFAIK quoting "damage to the fragile environment" which is a valid concern. The argument is what that limit should be.

I'm guessing most people wouldn't want an organised event on every peak, every trail, every beauty spot every single weekend. Therefore I'd say that all of us do have a limit. The point of contention is what that limit is. For me, I think it's getting too much now in some areas. Others are free to disagree.
« Last Edit: 09:07:56, 13/02/18 by NeilC »

Addingham

« Reply #51 on: 06:23:28, 14/02/18 »

Most of the congestion is in the National Parks. Race organisations already need permission from the National Park authority in order to run them. So no banning by landowners is required. All that would need to happen would be the NP to give out less permissions.

Quite correct. But it all these unofficial charity events that seem to be the bugbear. Where I reside the Yorkshire 3 peaks is a prime example. It's not official races that have mostly eroded that said route it is charity events. But as I originally stated trying banning them takes you down a very slippery slope.

Hull CC and others are already banning cyclists using certain legal to cycle roads now. Till they use their bylaws to curtail.

Also restrictions in certain areas of Scotland for wild camping. The latter problem is not caused by true wild campers but by city folk leaving all their trash after having a jolly around Loch Lomand and Trossacks etc.

Where will it end?
« Last Edit: 15:43:26, 14/02/18 by Addingham »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 13:53:42, 14/02/18 »
I have to confess to being a bit bored of seeing "the usual" charity events, be that the Y3P, the N3P and such like. Its all got a bit samey samey now. C'mon charities who organise these events - inspire us with something new. Something different.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 16:31:24, 14/02/18 »
When one of these events are going on I just walk somewhere else, simples  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Addingham

« Reply #54 on: 16:35:08, 14/02/18 »

Exactly. Although some people cannot change their itinerary for some reason.  ;)

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 17:41:23, 14/02/18 »
I have to confess to being a bit bored of seeing "the usual" charity events, be that the Y3P, the N3P and such like. Its all got a bit samey samey now. C'mon charities who organise these events - inspire us with something new. Something different.

How about pushing a canoe full of baked beans up Ben Nevis with just your nose whilst wearing clothing made from old tyres?
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:53:22, 14/02/18 »

Addingham

« Reply #57 on: 18:05:22, 14/02/18 »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 19:43:50, 14/02/18 »
« Last Edit: 21:35:06, 14/02/18 by tonyk »

Ho11yberry

« Reply #59 on: 10:24:40, 27/02/18 »

Yes.  After a London escape to the South Downs last year we discovered that our route was swamped by (literally) thousands of walkers on the 'South Coast Macmillan Mighty Hike'.  They were having a fantastic time and were raising a massive sum of money for a worthy charity so good luck to them (we made a donation) but the peaceful country walk away from the crowds that we had so carefully planned was shot to bits! 

Lesson learned - research popular routes for this kind of thing before booking very expensive train tickets!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy