Author Topic: parking at st johns in the vale church  (Read 2615 times)

wombat

parking at st johns in the vale church
« on: 21:15:57, 21/10/17 »
Hi all, having a week in the lakes end of november. I fancy exploring High rigg and wondered about parking at the church, is it allowed and is there space ? thanks in advance, ian

snoopdawg

Re: parking at st johns in the vale church
« Reply #1 on: 21:42:28, 21/10/17 »
Hi dont know about the church, but I parked just off the junction where the road through St Johns in the vale meets the Keswick/ Grasmere road. A lot of other vehicles were parked there as well. Did Raven crag same afternoon from the same parking spot.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:00:17, 21/10/17 »
Yes. There's a car parking area for about 5 cars (3 if evidence of pillock parking is in action!) for the Youth Centre (pretty much opposite the Church).  It's set back from the road and quite often has a minibus in it - you're alright to park there though. 

There are a small amount of random parking spots elsewhere near the buildings there where you can get tucked into.

There is also very limited parking on the grass a little further along through the gate - "no vehicles beyond this point" (if you're coming from St. Johns/Vale side) - there is a dark green bench just up the hillside slightly (it's at the spot height 222 is on the explorer map).  I wouldn't recommend driving up there from the Naddle Valley/Sykes side unless you are driving a tractor, a proper off road vehicle .... or are the local postie (apparently)!

If you're going clockwise there's a delish tea room at Low Bridge End Farm (tea and cheese scone highly recommended) and a brilliant steep craggy ascent from Wren Crag with great views of Thirlmere behind.  From the top meander aimlessly in a generally northish direction all over this wonderful, lumpy, bumpy, craggly, squishy fell.  There are many paths heading up and over or round and between the various lumps and bumps but they're all heading in the same general direction - explore as many or as few as you like.

I've walked this hill about 10 times now and once on the top, never followed the same route twice!!  Great views of Blencathra, Skiddaw and Helvellyn and the crags of Clough Head  O0

God I love this hill  :smitten:   (can you tell?  ;D  )

Enjoy your walk and please, please, PLEASE (pretty please) post a report and lots of pics when you've been  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:18:28, 22/10/17 »
In November you should be ok for a space opposite the church.

wombat

« Reply #4 on: 19:40:49, 22/10/17 »
Hi all, thanks for replies, will be parking at the church, last time i was at Legburthwaite carpark there was too much car window glass on the floor for my liking :( :(
Will hopefully be posting photos and report after the holiday :)

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 21:42:11, 22/10/17 »
Hiya Wombat, have you been before ? I have stayed around Keswick 7 times, 4 of which in Threlkeld ( it's a long way from Basingstoke ) and found the walk from there to the church pretty easy although it would add another 2.5 miles or so to the walk, the Threlkeld tea shop is hard to beat for cake / sarnies and the Low Bridge End Farm is equally as good for soup / scone so you could make it a tea and soup days walking. The walk from Threlkeld to High bridge end Farm and back over High Rigg is something like 10ish miles so can be done in a day. I did exactly this walk last October 24th and the weather was very iffy but if you know the Lake District you'll know "it's always raining there".. lol  ::) I was also going to suggest parking the other end somewhere off or around the 591.. Have a great time whatever you choose.
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

wombat

« Reply #6 on: 21:41:08, 23/10/17 »
Hiya Wombat, have you been before ? I have stayed around Keswick 7 times, 4 of which in Threlkeld ( it's a long way from Basingstoke ) and found the walk from there to the church pretty easy although it would add another 2.5 miles or so to the walk, the Threlkeld tea shop is hard to beat for cake / sarnies and the Low Bridge End Farm is equally as good for soup / scone so you could make it a tea and soup days walking. The walk from Threlkeld to High bridge end Farm and back over High Rigg is something like 10ish miles so can be done in a day. I did exactly this walk last October 24th and the weather was very iffy but if you know the Lake District you'll know "it's always raining there".. lol  ::) I was also going to suggest parking the other end somewhere off or around the 591.. Have a great time whatever you choose.
Been walking in the lakes for 50 years, just getting back into it after some health problems so thought i would start with some low(ish) level walks ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy