Author Topic: Hello from Northants  (Read 1069 times)

LindsayP

Hello from Northants
« on: 11:41:24, 16/08/19 »
Hi, just joined after prowling a while. I was into a bit of hill walking when I was in my late teens, and worked in a backpacking equipment shop for a couple of years so became familiar with technical kit back in the mid-1970's (a lot has changed!). Now, over 40 years later, I'm getting interested again in getting into the great outdoors, but frustrated by the local limitations where I live, but a recent spell of working in Northern Ireland led me to the Mourne mountains one weekend which was wonderful, so I'm hooked.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Northants
« Reply #1 on: 11:53:31, 16/08/19 »
Welome aboard from Manchester  :)

worked in a backpacking equipment shop for a couple of years so became familiar with technical kit back in the mid-1970's (a lot has changed!).

It certainly has, though judging by some talk and recommendations I hear in outdoor shops, many of the staff are still stuck back in that mindset.

LindsayP

« Reply #2 on: 11:58:23, 16/08/19 »
 ;D  Back in those days it was all framed rucksacks and leather boots. Goretex first came in while I was working in the shop, and we had one (also Berghaus) non-framed backpacking rucksack available. Used to sell loads of Karrimors to scouts, but we also did a lot of climbing kit and did some specific kit for cavers. My boss was the late Robin Adshead, a great bloke who did a lot of books and magazine articles. Happy days...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:55:01, 16/08/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I'll be in your neck of the woods soon, one of my friends will be 70 and his daughter is organising a party for him.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:09:59, 16/08/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:38:51, 19/08/19 »
Welcome from Suffolk. I sympathise with you on the local limitations, but you’re nearer to hills than I am!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:35:19, 20/08/19 »
Hi Lindsay & welcome from the Peak District  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:06:11, 23/08/19 »
Welcome to the forum, Lindsay. We've got a forum member who regularly walks in the Mourne mountains and then posts trip reports - they look gorgeous - definitely on my wish list of places to visit.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy