Author Topic: Walking the C2C for the First Time  (Read 5911 times)

northdome

Walking the C2C for the First Time
« on: 13:22:20, 23/09/19 »
Hello,

We are coming to the UK to explore for a few a months and the C2C is our first walk.
We will be starting at the end of September and have a question about the Lake District...we have done quite a bit of research and the common theme is that the sign posts for trails are non-existent on this part of the walk.
We wanted to confirm that this is true so that we prepare correctly.

We are happy to have found this forum and appreciate any advice.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking the C2C for the First Time
« Reply #1 on: 13:46:36, 23/09/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I've walked the C2C both ways and I can't remember if there was a problem with signposting? I don't remember getting lost or taking any wrong turnings. When I did it I used a Harveys Map. I believe that 'A to Z' also do a good map as well.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:09:20, 23/09/19 »
Can't help you with the C2C signage, northdome, but welcome to the forum anyway  :)

Where are you from - California?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:16:41, 23/09/19 »
Welcome to the forum from a wet Devon.
The lack of signposting is because an official C2C doesn't exist.  When it was first mooted by Wainwright, the idea was that walkers found their way from one coast to the other.  Over the years "routes" have grown up but you are still at liberty to make your own route.  If you look on an Ordnance Survey map you will not find the C2C marked at all so for example, when you get to the first of the Lakes, Ennerdale Water, you are at liberty to follow either the N or S bank.  The same philosophy applies right across the Lakes.
That said, you will find signs from time to time indicating the way or, as in the case of crossing the moor S of Kirkby Stephen, directing you on different routes depending on the time of year.
UK mapping is good and, if you are a competent map reader, you should have no difficulty.  While a C2C signs may not always exist, paths are often signposted and by and large the route is well trodden, but do not expect waymarking as in many European countries.
Enjoy your visit.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:15:54, 23/09/19 »
If you use a GPS I can let you have gpx files that cover the main part of the route and a few diversions to get you started.  There are also some good free OSM maps available if you use a Garmin  O0
Where there's a will ...

northdome

« Reply #5 on: 16:05:41, 23/09/19 »
Thank you for the welcome and the information...
I am from California - northern part of the state...love the long distance hiking, we have been enjoying the walk along the coast of Spain from Blanes to the boarder of France.
We are coming from out of the country and would like to pick up one of the Harvey maps if possible; does anyone know if they can be purchased in St Bees or Lancaster?
We do not travel with smart phones (yep it is true..old school but very peaceful). Prefer the map.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:40:08, 23/09/19 »
St Bees is a small place so maybe not, Lancaster is bigger but I'm not even sure if Harveys maps are sold in shops? I'm sure someone else knows. Hopefully, someone who knows Lancaster well can point you to the best shop to go to.

Personally, I would prefer to use an A to Z map, because I'm a colour blind and although I can read my Harvey Map in normal daylight I only see a total blur if I try to read it under any form of indoor lighting or street lighting.

Enjoy the walk, I know I did.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:42:53, 23/09/19 »
I am from California - northern part of the state...love the long distance hiking, we have been enjoying the walk along the coast of Spain from Blanes to the boarder of France.
We are coming from out of the country and would like to pick up one of the Harvey maps if possible; does anyone know if they can be purchased in St Bees or Lancaster?
We do not travel with smart phones (yep it is true..old school but very peaceful). Prefer the map.
Lancaster - probably.  Worth a visit anyway.  The station is near the castle - the shops are downhill from there.  St Bees - unlikely.  Ordnance Survey maps are also good, available in 1:25000 and 1:50000.  Try Blacks at 17 New Street for a start for OS, not sure they sell Harvey.
Solvitur Ambulando

northdome

« Reply #8 on: 17:08:28, 23/09/19 »
Thank you Ninthace... Good to know there is a small glimmer of hope that we will find a map in Lancaster.
Your signature is one of significance...happen to have this tattooed on my ankle.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:19:26, 23/09/19 »
I forgot there are also 2 branches of Waterstones in Lancaster 4-6 Cornmarket and 2-8 King Street.  Should be good for maps and guide books. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:19:56, 23/09/19 »
Harveys maps can be bought online. According to harveymaps.co.uk, airmail to Rest of the World is £5.00 per order.
« Last Edit: 17:23:23, 23/09/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:24:46, 23/09/19 »
Harveys maps can be bought online. According to harveymaps.co.uk, airmail to Rest of the World is £5.00 per order.
  Harvey guide can be purchased through Waterstones.  You could arrange click and collect at one of the branches in Lancaster https://www.waterstones.com/books/search/term/coast+to+coast+map
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:06:47, 23/09/19 »

Your name gave it away...I visited to Northern California a few times on business trips back in the '90s - Petaluma, north of the Golden Gate.

I'm old school too - I love maps; have done since I was a child, and I am not at all tempted to navigate by phone. Good luck with your walk.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:19:48, 23/09/19 »
I’d second the recommendation for the A-Z map - it’s a handy little booklet that contains the entire route.

Why not see if you can order it from amazon.co.uk and get it delivered to your accommodation in St Bees? Assuming you are staying in St Bees! I’m sure most B&B owners would have no objection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-Adventure-Atlas-Geographers-Map/dp/178257168X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=a-z+coast+to+coast&qid=1569258769&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I’ve ordered from amazon.com using my amazon.co.uk account so assume vice versa will work.

If you favour another map amazon will probably sell it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:10:43, 23/09/19 »
One site you might find useful is www.gps-infos.co.uk.

Another is the UK site of Bing Maps, it offers Ordnance Survey maps for free, the home page, top right-hand corner.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy