Author Topic: Cleveland Way  (Read 8895 times)

ogy

Cleveland Way
« on: 19:19:22, 10/01/08 »
Hi all, I'm looking to do this walk in Sept (next full week off work unbooked)
I've looked into it and want to have a pop at doing it in 4-5 days, wild camping along the way.
Has anybody on here completed it in this time scale or thereabouts???

Also does anyone know of any good 'personal' websites of people that have completed the walk, I've found the obvious ones but love reading accounts of walks. If anyone on here has completed it it would be great to hear from you.

I know the usual timescale is double what I plan but I will be doing this walk for a local charity so have to beef it up a bit :)
I've recently done the Lyke Wake and wild camp often, I also have till sept to fully prepare so I'm open to hear of any advice from ldwers.
I have written down an itinerary of splitting the days down somewhere, when I find it I'll post how I plan to tackle it.

Many Thanks in advance everyone

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Cleveland Way
« Reply #1 on: 20:33:04, 10/01/08 »
 I did it in three days and a few hours when I was in my late twenties and very fit.My campsites were High Paradise (evening walk from Helmsley around 15 miles),Killdale 27 miles, Sandsend approx 40 miles,Filey approx 30 miles.

I used it as a warm up for crossing the Swiss Alps and it went very well,almost flew round and really enjoyed the work out.If you've done the Lyke Wake you won't have any problem in doing the CW in 4-5 days.Schedule I would suggest:

1.Helmsley to Sutton Bank,afternoon walk camp at Sutton Bank.10 miles.

2.Sutton Bank to Lordstones Cafe.Camp at cafe around 21 miles.

3.Coast at Saltburn.Camp on cliffs.25 miles.

4. Saltburn to Ravenscar.Camp Bent rigg Farm.30 miles.

5.Ravenscar to Filey. 20 miles.

ogy

« Reply #2 on: 20:52:51, 10/01/08 »
You hard tw@ ;D ;D

Cheers for the reply

Off the top of my head I planned to get to Lord stones in day one ( good brekkie in the morning )

Day two to Saltburn

Day three to Whitby

Day four to filey

using the fifth day as a reserve in case we run behind

Did you do it supported, I plan to do it semi supported, ie if needed someone could be with us in a couple of hours but I hope not too. I'll no doubt be chewing your ears from now till Sept now mate ;)

Cheers for the great reply

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:09:00, 11/01/08 »
I was looking to do this in 7 days as all the info sites seem to recommend 11days.

But this is much better for me as 5 days does not eat into my annual leave entitlement as much.

So glad i read this post, back to the drawing board i think 8)

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 14:44:18, 11/01/08 »
Hey ukmase :)

Maybe this web page will help you out, It's great for breaking the walk down into mile by mile segments

http://www.sherpavan.com/accomm_booking/maps.asp?trail=CX

Ogy

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:48:59, 11/01/08 »

Did you do it supported, I plan to do it semi supported, ie if needed someone could be with us in a couple of hours but I hope not too. I'll no doubt be chewing your ears from now till Sept now mate

No such luck,had to do it carrying everything myself.

Ukmase:11 days? They must have been on valium. ;D

ogy

« Reply #6 on: 18:43:55, 13/01/08 »
went and did a bit of it over the weekend,

Gotta love Lord stones cafe, the hot chocolate is fantastic and John smiths is only a quid a pint, we camped in the forest a bit up and wanted to go there for a breaky but got there too early :(.

It was a cold wet night!!!!!

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:16:05, 13/01/08 »
Mase, if you want i can send you some info on sections and time scale, from when i did it ?
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

ogy

« Reply #8 on: 19:39:31, 13/01/08 »
Hi summitzero, any chance I could get that info from you too, I'd be most gratefull

How long did it take you to do??

Ogy

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:35:53, 13/01/08 »
Cheers S/Z that would be great. Where have you been hiding, havent seen a post from yourself in a while. Thought you might of got up one morning and done another Forest Gump  ;D

ogy

« Reply #10 on: 12:08:29, 16/01/08 »
Is the coastal section of the walk an easier path, therefore quicker?  Online reports kind of make it sound more of a touristy path after saltburn??? whats it like navigating through the towns, are the signs still visable, I've only had to pull the maps out a few times on the moors sections as the signage is fantastic.

I'm going to try and get over there next weekend and take a look, It would just be good to hear from you guys that have the experience of all of it.

It's now oficially on for Sept though, the press want to do a piece on us as the charity we are doing it for is run by them..... :)

Thanks for all the replys

Ogy

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:34:44, 16/01/08 »
Cant help you on that section as i have not been round that bit yet.

You will enjoy yourself in September, the weather is fantastice at that time of year.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:34:04, 16/01/08 »
 The coast section is quite easy but does have a few ups and downs as you desend to creek outlets.The section up to Ravenscar is quite a slog but from there it is almost downhill to Scarborough.Scarborough to Filey is very easy.Navigating in the towns isn't a problem,the walk brushes the perimeter of Saltburn and in Whitby you aim for the Abbey at the top of the steps.In Scarborough you follow the seafront.The olny dodgy bits are the quarry where you come out of Guisborough woods and a place called Skelton which is badly signposted.

ogy

Cleveland way feeling
« Reply #13 on: 11:37:03, 20/01/08 »
For all you guys that have completed the cleveland way by means of backpacking and camping

What low points did you experience during the walk, how was the feeling on day two waking up knowing you had numerous nights left to camp.

Were there any points on the walk where you was tempted to give up or what did you do mentally to continue, I think I'll focus on getting to the coast, then once there I'll be thinking I've come too far to quit lol

I've done long walks with one nights wild camping but as yet none with more.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help on the other thread and the emails recieved.

Ogy

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Cleveland way feeling
« Reply #14 on: 14:01:36, 20/01/08 »
 Just go out and enjoy it, don't turn it into an ordeal.A lot depends on the weather,constant rain will sap the hardiest of souls but always try to remain positive in the hope that things will improve.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy