Author Topic: My winter gear is ready, well almost.  (Read 1343 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My winter gear is ready, well almost.
« on: 12:18:30, 01/11/19 »
I've spent a while trying to improve my winter kit without spending too much money. I'm almost there, I have new Berghaus all leather Superlights, no problem with socks, I've three pairs of trousers to choose from, waterproof gaiters, a pair of long johns, excellent Decathlon underwear, bamboo baselayers, a Rab Vitall windproof coat, a couple of fleeces to choose from and a Lowe Alpine hat. My only sticking point is what warm wear will I buy to wear between my baselayer/fleece and windproof. I went to a hiking shop yesterday and following the advice offered to me earlier from the Forum so I suggested to the saleslady that a down jacket may not be really suitable to wear whilst actually hiking, but fine when standing still and she got really ratty with me and told me that the down jackets are the best of all! I had to say Whoa, Whoa Whoa to her, she was really fired up! I didn't buy anything but I did check that a medium would fit me well.

Apache

• Account Closed
Re: My winter gear is ready, well almost.
« Reply #1 on: 13:18:20, 01/11/19 »
It is all about what and where you want to use it.

Caveat: I have never owned a down jacket but I am very aware of how damp the UK is compared to other countries/climates.

Reading here and other reviews it would seem that down will absorb water in our climate and become less of an insulating layer. Synthetic materials appear to not suffer this problem.

So the lady was correct in arid climates but not IMHO the UK.

Twiggy2

« Reply #2 on: 17:28:32, 13/11/19 »
It's worth doing your research when buying down products, I was shocked to realise today that the vast majority of it is plucked whilst the bird is alive. A lot of down is also form fois gras birds.

Dread

« Reply #3 on: 17:40:39, 13/11/19 »
Can't you just wear a thicker fleece? I've never owned any down products, as Twiggy says they are not usually ethically sourced, but walking in the uk with mist on the outside and sweat on the inside I don't see how they can keep dry.

scottk

« Reply #4 on: 20:06:02, 13/11/19 »
If you are concerned about the down source, google ethically sourced down, search RDS or look at ultralightoutdoorgear for the ethical down page. This shows you most manufacturers stance. Most good gear manufacturers use ethically sourced down. I always take a down layer in winter to use at stops, camp, tent etc but definitely not to walk in. You can get hydrophobic down too.
For an extra mid layer I would use a synthetic top or fleece.but as long as I’m moving I never use one.
For winter I prefer to walk in a paramo jacket which doesn’t suit everyone.
If you really feel the cold, a buffalo or montane pile pertex top might be more suitable.
« Last Edit: 11:43:41, 14/11/19 by scottk »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:43:40, 14/11/19 »
My son and daughter in law wanted to buy me a Rab jacket, I hesitated and then received some good advice from Forum members. I then hiked and sweated in synthetic clothing up and down Great Gable and then put all of the advice and my own experience together and have now decided that a Rab jacket is not for me. I've decided that for me, synthetic is the way to go.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:05:30, 14/11/19 »
Rab do synthetic filled jackets as well as down. Their Xenon jacket is good, been using one for three or four years.

scottk

« Reply #7 on: 11:46:15, 14/11/19 »
My synthetic is a montane prism but I see Needlesports have a deal on the montane halogen alpha down to £90. Another option would be a synthetic vest- my wife has an Arcteryx atom which is really nice.

jb101

« Reply #8 on: 11:57:29, 14/11/19 »
If price is a consideration have a look at the UK army PCS smock or the old 'softie' for mid -layer options

google for reveiws

British Army PCS Smock v Softie Jacket - But Which Is Best
ATB
James

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:58:15, 14/11/19 »
Dare i mention it, but both my synthetic down jackets i bought in Primark are just as warm as my far more expensive Montane jacket.
They cost a ridiculous £5 each, and as an insulating under garment under a waterproof, they have kept me very warm in the current cold conditions here in Dyffryn.

Last week whilst walking towards Diffwys, this £5 bargain kept me well insulated against the wind.
Their only downside, is that the hood has no adjustment, and gets blown off your head, otherwise, for a £5, its beyond reproach.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:04:31, 14/11/19 »
Bought a synthetic fill gilet at Mointain Warehouse recently, for use as a light extra layer over my fleece but under my waterproof. Quite pleased with it - £24.99 well spent.

And it will double as a pillow when wild camping.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:05:42, 14/11/19 »
Good find, dyffryn. No need to spend much on mid layers.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:09:21, 14/11/19 »
You could sew a Paramo logo on it and flog it for 250 quid  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:11:12, 14/11/19 »
You could sew a Paramo logo on it and flog it for 250 quid  ;)

;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy