Author Topic: Short TR; Doulting and Cranmore circular on a sunny afternoon;6.5 m 28/9/11  (Read 1323 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Inspired by the lovely sunny weather and a book of Mendip walks (Sue Gearing); I parked at Doulting and walked, through the quiet lanes and fields – many of which have recently been harvested, to the small hamlet of Chesterblade.

Chesterblade Chrurch

I had hoped for an icecream at the little village shop in Cranmore, but sadly the shop had gone (and the pub was closed).

Cranmore station where steam trains operate as an attraction – not running today , although later in my walk I could hear them steaming up or whatever it’s called

This is one of two tiny quarries where oolitic sandstone is quarried; it was used to build Wells Cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey, among other notable ecclesiastical buildings.

The view towards Doulting at the end of my walk.

It was a really nice circuit, with only one huge newly ploughed field, which was ‘challenging’ to walk across (you can see it in the station picture above).

And how lucky was I, in a major dairying region, to come across only one field on the route with cows in, and as I got to the stile the farmer arrived on his quad-bike to take them in for milking. Phew. I am getting braver with cows but am most anxious when I have the dog with me.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Class.  Just goes to prove you don't have to be several thousand feet up to enjoy our countryside.  Lovely. O0 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy