Author Topic: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote  (Read 18323 times)

marmottungsten

Re: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« Reply #30 on: 01:51:55, 18/05/18 »
The Marmot Tungsten 1P, in Shadow/Moss colour scheme, of course...a lot lighter than a Hilleberg Soulo, no condensation issues, it's a lot quicker to pitch and it's about quarter of the price!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 07:12:32, 18/05/18 »
Marmot Tungsten 1P or Hilleberg Soulo?

I know which tent I would rather spend a night on the fells in the Lake District. The Soulo! The Tungsten has a mesh inner does it not? Depending on where you pitch, this might not be suitable, where do you go hiking and climbing MT? In warmer climates?

Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:49:11, 18/05/18 »
The Marmot Tungsten 1P, in Shadow/Moss colour scheme, of course...a lot lighter than a Hilleberg Soulo, no condensation issues, it's a lot quicker to pitch and it's about quarter of the price!
In reality, All tents have condensation issues, subject to environmental conditions,
The hilleberg is built to endure bad weather, it may weigh and cost more, but it will be more comfortable, and probably last 10 times longer,
It depends where you camp and what weather conditions you go out in.

I know which tent I would rather spend a night on the fells in the Lake District. The Soulo! The Tungsten has a mesh inner does it not? Depending on where you pitch, this might not be suitable, where do you go hiking and climbing MT? In warmer climates?

I guess a mesh inner means it's draughty
Therefore you would need a warmer sleeping bag to compensate
Hence more weight

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

marmottungsten

« Reply #33 on: 12:18:01, 18/05/18 »

Yes, it does have a mesh inner, which is precisely why it does not get issues with condensation on the inside, like you will have almost certainly experienced with your Soulo.  In the morning you would have faced the frustration of having to wait around for the Sun to rise high enough to start drying out the condensation soaked interior of your Soulo, before you can finally put it away,  whereas the mesh interior of my Tungsten will already be practically bone dry, allowing me to be packed away quicker, and on my way much sooner. 
If you get impatient with how long the drying process is taking on your Soulo and decide to put it away when it's still damp, you will end up with a mouldy Soulo, whereas my Tungsten will still be mould free.
And no, it's not draughty inside, because the mesh, whilst being highly breathable, stops the wind coming through.  It makes the Tungsten a warm, dry and pleasant place to be at night, even on a cold, windy, hill top.
The rain fly on my Tungsten is not ultralight Nylon, it's far more robust Polyester, which does not sag when it gets wet, and dries much faster.  OK, it is a bit heavy for a backpacking tent, (still a couple of hundred grams lighter than Soulo though) but it's also built to last.  It even comes with a footprint as standard (included in the weight), though for use on sheep-shawn grassland, this could be left at home, saving more weight.
« Last Edit: 12:38:48, 18/05/18 by marmottungsten »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:37:16, 18/05/18 »
Yes, for me the Tungstan 1P is more of a summer tent. I like it though because for a one man tent it has so much inner space. I've never found it draughty but maybe I've been lucky. What I did find once in the South of France was in a torrectial rain storn, the drops were hitting the ground very hard and some of the water droplets were then  bouncing under the outer tent and finished up inside the area where I was sleeping. Its only happened once and on the door side but I now know that in the wrong weather it could happen again. If I camp in the colder months I use my Zephyros One

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:47:45, 18/05/18 »
Yes, it does have a mesh inner, which is precisely why it does not get issues with condensation on the inside, like you almost certainly will have experienced with your Soulo.

I don't have a Soulo  :)

If I was buying a one person tent and had the money, I know which one I would buy between the two and it wouldn't be a tent with an all mesh inner.

Can I ask where you go hiking? In the UK? High on the hills or in valleys? In my experience if I used a tent with a mesh inner I would be freezing. It is too windy, cold and damp most of the time where we go to have an all mesh inner.

Also, all tents can have condensation issues. If you are saying your mesh inner is dry, is this because the condensation droplets have dropped through the mesh onto you inside? If you are saying the outer has never had condensation on the inside that is quite incredible.

We have an MSR Elixir 2, not the lightest weight around, but it suits us for what we want. We have had no condensation issues, except normal dampness on the inside of the outer when the wind drops. Does your outer not get wet when it rains? Do you always wait until it is bone dry before you put it away? It rains a lot where we go, so putting the tent away wet is the norm!

It would be informative if you can tell us where you go hiking so we can judge how the gear you are telling us all we should have would perform where the rest of us go hiking.

Hate will never win

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:21:27, 18/05/18 »

It would be informative if you can tell us where you go hiking so we can judge how the gear you are telling us all we should have would perform where the rest of us go hiking.

My opinion is that these 100% mesh tents are designed, and used in warm countries that don't actually need a tent, but do need a 'mosquito net'.

The American manufacturers seem to lead in this - but - even MSR (eg the Hubba Hubba) have moved to 50% mesh allowing your moisture laden breath to go thru and condense on the fly-sheet, whilst keeping draughts above your body level when lying down..

Even my Chinese copy (of the Hubba Hubba) has followed this rather than chasing weight and cost downs.

When  it gets to the stage of cutting down the handle of your tooth brush, and other gram / ounce saving methods its either time to adapt, give up or accept that 'comfort costs' (in weight and volume)

Hubba Hubba NX Tent

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:21:48, 18/05/18 »
My Pulsar 1 suffers from condensation at times. I've been in my tent more than once and drops of water have landed my my face, the mesh stops it at first but when the droplets merge together, they become too heavy and just drip on me. Thats when I know its time to get up!

marmottungsten

« Reply #38 on: 14:19:11, 18/05/18 »
I don't have a Soulo  :)

If I was buying a one person tent and had the money, I know which one I would buy between the two and it wouldn't be a tent with an all mesh inner.

Can I ask where you go hiking? In the UK? High on the hills or in valleys? In my experience if I used a tent with a mesh inner I would be freezing. It is too windy, cold and damp most of the time where we go to have an all mesh inner.

Also, all tents can have condensation issues. If you are saying your mesh inner is dry, is this because the condensation droplets have dropped through the mesh onto you inside? If you are saying the outer has never had condensation on the inside that is quite incredible.

We have an MSR Elixir 2, not the lightest weight around, but it suits us for what we want. We have had no condensation issues, except normal dampness on the inside of the outer when the wind drops. Does your outer not get wet when it rains? Do you always wait until it is bone dry before you put it away? It rains a lot where we go, so putting the tent away wet is the norm!

In the Surrey hills.  The first weekend after receiving my Tungsten from the States, I went out to one of the hills in Surrey and about an hour after going to bed a massive thunderstorm with heavy rain came through and lasted for several hours...Not a drop of moisture was felt on the inside.  The key is ventilation.  Allow the damp air to flow through your tent and escape and you don't get condensation...Of course, having a tent that has a rain fly that reaches the ground all around the tent also helps.  I always guy out the bottom, middle, outer guy point of the tent to give extra ventilation.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:28:11, 18/05/18 »

Allow the damp air to flow through your tent and escape and you don't get condensation...Of course, having a tent that has a rain fly that reaches the ground all around the tent also helps. 

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction ?
If your fly is all the way down to the ground how do you get a good flow of air to "flow through your tent and escape" ?

Your set-up sounds almost like a tarp tent with a 'mozzy net'.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:18:23, 18/05/18 »

Yes, it does have a mesh inner, which is precisely why it does not get issues with condensation on the inside, like you will have almost certainly experienced with your Soulo.  In the morning you would have faced the frustration of having to wait around for the Sun to rise high enough to start drying out the condensation soaked interior of your Soulo, before you can finally put it away,  whereas the mesh interior of my Tungsten will already be practically bone dry, allowing me to be packed away quicker, and on my way much sooner. 
If you get impatient with how long the drying process is taking on your Soulo and decide to put it away when it's still damp, you will end up with a mouldy Soulo, whereas my Tungsten will still be mould free.
And no, it's not draughty inside, because the mesh, whilst being highly breathable, stops the wind coming through.  It makes the Tungsten a warm, dry and pleasant place to be at night, even on a cold, windy, hill top.
The rain fly on my Tungsten is not ultralight Nylon, it's far more robust Polyester, which does not sag when it gets wet, and dries much faster.  OK, it is a bit heavy for a backpacking tent, (still a couple of hundred grams lighter than Soulo though) but it's also built to last.  It even comes with a footprint as standard (included in the weight), though for use on sheep-shawn grassland, this could be left at home, saving more weight.
By condensation on the inside I presume your talking about the mesh inner and not the inside of the flysheet, all tents get condensation under the fly .
We pack the tent away after camping wet or dry, how do you pack yours away dry if it's still raining?
Then dry it off at home, hence no mould...
If mesh blocks wind, why do hilleberg make their 4 season tents with the ability to zip up the mesh panels to eliminate wind?

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

marmottungsten

« Reply #41 on: 20:40:40, 18/05/18 »
By condensation on the inside I presume your talking about the mesh inner and not the inside of the flysheet, all tents get condensation under the fly .

But some get a lot more than others!...Allowing air flow to through between the mesh inner and outer fly reduces it to next to nothing. 

Quote from: beefy
We pack the tent away after camping wet or dry, how do you pack yours away dry if it's still raining?

I don't, or at least I haven't had to yet...But then, I don't plan on going camping when bad weather is forecast anyway.

Quote from: beefy
Then dry it off at home, hence no mould...
If mesh blocks wind, why do hilleberg make their 4 season tents with the ability to zip up the mesh panels to eliminate wind?

They are obviously using the wrong mesh!  American "No See Um" mesh is dense enough to block wind.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:03:55, 18/05/18 »
...don't plan on going camping when bad weather is forecast anyway.

Lol, does anybody? 

Condensation on the inside of the flysheet is caused more by breathing + the difference in temperature between the inside of the tent and the outside.  If you experience this then it's a sign that (a) you're alive; and (b) you're sleeping inside the tent.   ;)

marmottungsten

« Reply #43 on: 21:05:04, 18/05/18 »

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction ?
If your fly is all the way down to the ground how do you get a good flow of air to "flow through your tent and escape" ?

Your set-up sounds almost like a tarp tent with a 'mozzy net'.

Not really...certain tents have rain flies that do not reach the ground, in fact they sometimes have rain flies that stop a foot or so above it!...Like the Nemo Hornet...This is done to try and save weight, literally by reducing the amount of material used for the fly, but driving rain can easily work its way under the elevated fly and into the mesh inner tent. I have seen review videos for the Hornet on you tube where they have experienced this exact problem.  That is an extremely poor design, because driving rain can easily get under the fly causing much larger moisture build up, which can then drip or even pour onto the inner tent leaving those inside damp and miserable.  A well designed tent, like the Tungsten, has a rain fly that almost reaches right down to the ground, but is spaced out from the innner inner tent by a couple of inches, allowing air to pass through between them but not rain.  And there is less chance of any rain splashes finding there way under such a low fly too.  Good airflow between the inner tent and and outer fly is the key to minimise condensation.  A completely sealed tent with no ventilation would be a condensation nightmare!

marmottungsten

« Reply #44 on: 21:10:22, 18/05/18 »
My Pulsar 1 suffers from condensation at times. I've been in my tent more than once and drops of water have landed my my face, the mesh stops it at first but when the droplets merge together, they become too heavy and just drip on me. Thats when I know its time to get up!

Sounds like you are simply not guying out the sides enough to get good airflow through the tent, and/or leaving the built in vent closed. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy