Author Topic: Viewranger Syncronising question  (Read 2758 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Viewranger Syncronising question
« on: 15:10:54, 20/04/19 »
Ow dooz folks.

I currently have about 250 VR track recordings on my phone.  Does anyone know if there's a way to syncronise and it NOT "do" all the tracks?  It takes my phone ages to sync now which is a pain in the doofers when I'm only uploading one new track.

I have had a look in the settings but can't see anything obvious.  The choices are "upload routes" ; "download tracks" ; and "Reset Server Sync".  None of which seem to be appropriate for what I'm after  :-\

Cheers in advance.
Mel  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger Syncronising question
« Reply #1 on: 15:16:40, 20/04/19 »
Can you not go to tracks, select track, press three dots, select upload track?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:27:21, 20/04/19 »
That sounds far too obvious Rob - I never thought to look in the individual track options  ;D   :-[ 

I'll have to go for a little mellie-mooch and try it out  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:38:50, 20/04/19 »
Why do you want any tracks or routes on your phone at all other than the ones you are about to do? - clearly you don’t.  I keep mine on my account, accessible through ViewRanger.com.  All my tracks and routes are also backed up in my One Drive account so I use the import external gps function to bring them into the app and export them to  my VR account when I have done them. I then convert my tracks to routes and publish them to earn a few credits so I can buy more maps and routes from VR. My phone has precious little spare memory as it is and I see no advantage in waiting while it clogs up with 360 odd trips I have already done.
The other advantage of using cloud storage is I can easily use the same gpx files for the OS app and website, GoogleEarth and Garmin Basecamp.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:30:37, 20/04/19 »
I don’t want (nor have I got) pre-plotted routes on my phone.  Routes aren’t and never will be an issue because I just do not use my phone for navigation.

I use my phone as a walk tracking device and spot location tool only.

I don’t mind the tracks being there (on my phone) but I just don’t want my phone spending 5 minutes uploading ALL 250 of them EVERY time I sync.

I’m afraid I don’t have any interest in plotting/saving/uploading routes to here, there and everywhere. Uploading / syncing my completed walk track from VR phone app to VR desktop is perfectly adequate for me.

Anyway, Rob’s suggestion of selecting “upload track” rather than “synchronise” seems to have worked – Cheers Rob  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:38:30, 20/04/19 »
My wrist is slapped.  Though you were navigating.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:50:50, 20/04/19 »
Not at all ninthace.  You like faffing about with stuff like that.  I don't  :)   

I'd rather write up a trip / blog report so my family/friends can read about my hilly escapades  ;)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:56:05, 20/04/19 »
I'd rather write up a trip / blog report so my family/friends can read about my hilly escapades  ;)

I tried to think what to write in a trip report for my last trip but wasn't inspired. Will try and keep it in mind when I'm walking next time to see if I'm more organised...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:04:50, 20/04/19 »
It's not for everyone Rob.  Some people prefer the more "techy" aspects of a walk (and I suspect ninthace falls into this category). 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:14:29, 20/04/19 »
It's not for everyone Rob.  Some people prefer the more "techy" aspects of a walk (and I suspect ninthace falls into this category).

What's a techy aspect of a walk? I like the fact it gets my blood pumping, the air smells good, the sense of achievement when you reach a summit, rise above a steep slope or cover a long (for me) distance, the excitement with (just a little bit) of exposure or passing obstacles that would hurt if you screwed up (but only sprinkles of this, I wouldn't want it constantly). The glorious views and the photographs. I know everyone says it's not as good as the real thing but I'm quite fond of the photographs in their own right. That about sums up what I look for in a walk.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:27:41, 20/04/19 »
Plotting and planning routes on a computer and comparing and analysing stats afterwards.  How far.  How high. How fast.  How accurate the plotted route was against the actual walked route.  That sort of thing.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:32:50, 20/04/19 »
Plotting and planning routes on a computer and comparing and analysing stats afterwards.  How far.  How high. How fast.  How accurate the plotted route was against the actual walked route.  That sort of thing.

Oh right. I enjoy plotting and planning the route on a computer but I'd enjoy plotting it on a map too I simply find it easier to navigate with ViewRanger. I enjoy the rest of those technical things too but less so than what I wrote about above.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:33:49, 20/04/19 »
You forgot - picking the best route and not getting lost
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:44:06, 20/04/19 »
I never get lost ninthace.... there are just a lot of interesting diversions out there  :D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:59:54, 20/04/19 »
I never get lost ninthace.... there are just a lot of interesting diversions out there  :D

Yes, was it Farndale?  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy