Author Topic: Walking from Watchet to Nether Stowey in Somerset. Route info required  (Read 1138 times)

Beth FF

Hello. As the title says, I need some advice RE a route from Watchet to Nether Stowey in north Somerset. I'd like to follow the England Coast Path but am concerned that it's shingle (which I hate walking on, especially as I'll have a heavy pack that day), so what's the terrain like there? If it's shingle I'll want to avoid it, but the alternative involves roads without pavements for more of the way which is also not good :-\  Can anyone advise please?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
If I were going that way I would forget the Coastal Path - as you say the going doesn't look good and the aerial imagery seems to confirm that.  What about Watchet to Doniford (possibly on CP at first) then to West Quantoxhead by road to pick up The Great Track at ST 11260 41389 then follow that E to Holford to join the Coleridge Way to Nether Stowey?
Solvitur Ambulando

Beth FF

Thanks ninthace, I'm glad you suggested that as it's one of the routes I plotted  O0  I'll go with that then  :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
If I were going that way I would forget the Coastal Path -

My thoughts exactly and there are so many PRoWs that you're spoilt for choice. Was on Exmoor last weekend and the Coleridge Way seems very well waymarked as were many of the other paths.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Do try to visit Kilve and East Quantoxhead - both are beautiful (and a nice little tea room at the chantry back inland from Kilve - no idea if open this time of year, though - point 2 on map below). There is a clifftop path between the two if the tide is in. Even if you walk that, nip down the metal steps (point 6 on map below) at East Quantoxhead for some fossil hunting.
https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTUxOTI=
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy