Author Topic: What's the least hot, most breathable waterproof jacket  (Read 7255 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: What's the least hot, most breathable waterproof jacket
« Reply #60 on: 20:23:49, 09/08/19 »
I finally got to try my inov8 running jacket in a proper downpour today. Just gentle walking and standing around in a field. I was wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath, nothing technical.
It felt cold and I thought I was getting wet. At least it wasn't hot a sweaty despite the hot weather between the downpour and the next lesser shower.
On taking the jacket off indoors, there was a very clear line. Shirts and bottom of t-shirt were drenched, still dripping in fact. Above the line was totally dry! Now, the line was higher than the bottom edge of the jacket due to wicking upwards, but it was a clear difference.
I'm still only going to carry it in the mountains when there is no expectation of rain, but it gives me more confidence in it.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 23:10:36, 09/08/19 »
To put on - unpack, leg zips fully open, identify back and front, bunch up one leg to make to big hole leaving leg bit flapping, step through carefully (point toes), leave waist band low, repeat for other leg, pull trousers up, zip up legs, fasten poppers.

And try not to fall over when standing on one leg.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 00:07:43, 10/08/19 »
And try not to fall over when standing on one leg.
O0
I try to find something or someone to lean on.  Trunks of trees and boulders are good  :) .
Perilously perching on your pack - no so good  :(
Two trekking poles set at angle to act as a shooting stick - more of a black art.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 08:59:17, 10/08/19 »
Not connected to jackets at all - does anyone know how to get the overtrousers off without getting dirt (and possibly worse) from your boots all over the inside? I've discovered you can put your foot in a carrier bag to put them on, but I couldn't work out how to use the carrier bag effectively to remove them.

I take mine off so they end up inside out.  To re- put them back on I just turn them back the right way again and use the carrier bag method.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 11:26:03, 10/08/19 »
My old trousers were mountain equipment rainfall pants, these had full length side zips. So were easy as you undid each zip wrapped them around and did the zips up. They were made of drilite and very light but a bit delicate. I now have some Firefox pants, these are goretex and a bit heavier. The side zips don't go all the way up your leg, they stop at the waistband. So you have to thread your foot through the waistband. Not so much of a problem with walking boots or shoes but try it with ski boots. A real nightmare.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 17:00:01, 10/08/19 »
Archaeoroutes, good call with the Mountain Equipment Zeno  O0 I've only got a couple of jackets to compare it to but it's a vast improvement. The Helly Hansen Loke jacket much like your new one feels cold and like you're getting wet, this one doesn't which is an improvement but the big difference - it was still breathing after a moderate downpour! I walked up a hill as fast as I could for 6 minutes while it was saturated and I could feel the airflow! I didn't overheat! Very happy with that.  O0

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 13:58:56, 15/08/19 »
Believe Goretex ShakeDry is the market leader in waterproof running jackets - and by definition designed for avoiding hot clammy conditions. 

The downside is they are expensive, fragile, and not rated for use beneath a rucksack - so do so at your own risk. 

I've found some of the Goretex/Event gear doesn't really work well in the UK climate as it's usually cold and humid - conditions which means the vapour doesn't actually move very much between the inner and outer layers, especially important since their vapour transfer rates are all done in lab conditions at 32C.  If you're able to pick up something hydrophillic - Paramo, Buffalo, anything Toray Dermizax - then you're actually getting a better product for the UK climate.  I tend to use a Bergans Slingby shell jacket and use the Buffalo when it's more windy and unlikely to get a soaking.

El Principe

« Reply #67 on: 23:22:08, 21/08/19 »
I have an Arcteryx Beta SL Hybrid (2019 model with Paclite Plus) for waking and Gore R7 Shakedry Trail for running

scottk

« Reply #68 on: 21:08:19, 22/08/19 »
I have a Mountain Equipment Impellor which is very good but only suitable for 3 season use as it’s very lightweight. I also use it as a wind proof as it’s so light. Winter I use Paramo. Trousers are montane minimus which have been great but will need replaced soon (after 3 years).
If you buy lightweight, you need to accept the shorter lifespan. There are good prices on montane minimus jackets at the moment.
The impellor is gore tex active and unless something better comes along, I will be getting my next jacket in the same fabric.

Matt010791

« Reply #69 on: 16:36:08, 23/08/19 »
Has anyone got any experience with a Mountain Equipment Rupal jacket, I'm looking into buying one.

Pitboot

« Reply #70 on: 18:28:22, 23/08/19 »
Yes, I have one. It's a very tough jacket, you feel well protected. The fit is good for me, pockets good, hood excellent.
I was fortunate to get mine at a closing down sale for well below rrp. Only had one walk where it rained, no problems at all.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy