Author Topic: Lyke Wake Walk - East/ West, Ravenscar to Osmotherley  (Read 12912 times)

Whitby Mick

Re: Lyke Wake Walk - East/ West, Ravenscar to Osmotherley
« Reply #15 on: 07:37:47, 29/08/11 »
I remember doing the LLW on the 25th anniversary of Bill Cowley's inaugural crossing. One sight that I will never forget was during the hours of darkness, there was what I can only describe as a necklace of lights winding away into the distance in both directions. Support parties filled almost every crossing point, so many in fact some people had difficulty locating their own party in the darkness . By daylight the crowds had thinned out but there was always several groups in view at all times. The whole walk on that occasion was more of a social event than anything else. It is a long time now since I did the walk in its entirety, I still walk sections from time to time but I seldom meet anyone making a crossing.
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:33:42, 09/08/15 »
I did the LWW in the other direction many years ago, with full support. You're right about Jugger Howe Ravine - it nearly killed me....and I'd say that Fylingdales Moor is boring and hard work. Congratulations on your solo [not quite unsupported] crossing though.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

BlueMan

« Reply #18 on: 12:11:45, 01/02/21 »
The New Lyke Wake Club would be interested in getting details of all your crossings (& the crossings of anyone else that reads this message!!)- basic info requested: names of those involved, date, time taken, direction, anything particular to note (info of interest also includes part or failed crossings). Contact info via me or via Club secretary - email address on their website

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy