Author Topic: Do you still use any way, way back equipment or clothing.  (Read 2084 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I still use one item which I've had since the 60s, it's a 'hippy' headband which covers my ears and has been very useful over the past few weeks. I always take it with me when I'm camping and wear it on chilly nights, still very useful and still looks as good as new.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Not as far back as that but I still use my Army issue 'headover' that I got in the early 70s. Nowadays they are called buffs but the Army issued them way before they were 'invented'  :)
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
My Dad's rucksack from the 50s. It still very occasionally gets an outing but it is mainly used to store dry bags etc.
The boot lace used to fasten it is over 30 years old.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
I still use a walking stick which I bought more than 50 years ago. I bought it for a trip to the Lake District in snowy conditions.... this was before walking poles appeared. I use it now on local walks for balance id the very muddy conditions that we have at the moment snd it’s ideal fir gauging the depth of large puddles.
It's all uphill from here.

fernman

• Veteran Member
We've had this question before! My Karrimor backpack dates from around 1985 and has been used regularly up until my last trip in September 2019. I've thought of replacing it during that time but not only is it still perfectly functional, it also weighs half as much as modern superduper ones. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Karrimat (closed cell sleeping mat),1984, still sometimes used. Cut down to torso size as one end suffered some heavy damage. Only weighs 200g!

Karrimor Jaguar 65 litre rucksack from the mid 1980's. still my rucksack of choice for wild camping. Have had to repair the plastic mounts for the internal frame bars, but the fabric is absolutely sound.

Wild Country Trisar tent from late 1980's. Walked the length of Wales, several wild camps with my wife to be (Pyrenees, Highlands) and a lot of more casual use. More recently used for a wild camp at the head of Hayeswater with my youngest son last year. Seams have had to be repaired, and the poles are not as strong as modern equivalents (have had to replace one), but still in use.

Robert Saunders Jetpacker tent - I inherited this. Lovely design for its day, and in almost mint condition, but like sleeping in a coffin, so this one stays in the cupboard. Perhaps one of my sons will use it.

Buffalo fibre pile sleeping bag, 1984, used in the Alps and Pyrenees back in the 80's, and on my more recent summer wild camps. Seems to be indestructible.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I also still use a Karrimor 'Hot Earth' 45 litre climber's rucksack for shopping.

And a climbing sling and a pair of old karabiners to secure the dog to a waistband, for 'hands free' dog walking, and a free pull up the hill! With a loop of heavy bungee, I might add, otherwise she would snap my spine.

andybr

My wife and I are planning to do the Cleveland Way (our "local" Natioanl Trail) sometime this summer. Since our two man tent is a bit of a squeeze in my original Mk1 Opsprey Atmos 35 I am seriously considering taking my almost 40 year old Berghaus Redpoint pack out of retirement. It was a very simple and lightweight design when it was new but seems surprisingly modern today. This is how it looked on a much more lightweight me in its heyday.

Eyelet

My 1985 4-season RAB down sleeping bag still gets used regularly as does my 1988 Mountain Technology ice axe bought from Hugh McNicholl at his factory in Ballachuilish. O0  I still occasionally get my 1970’s Optimus III brass paraffin stove out when car camping - affectionately known as a “sidewinder” by all those who had one.

andybr

My 1985 4-season RAB down sleeping bag still gets used regularly as does my 1988 Mountain Technology ice axe bought from Hugh McNicholl at his factory in Ballachuilish. O0  I still occasionally get my 1970’s Optimus III brass paraffin stove out when car camping - affectionately known as a “sidewinder” by all those who had one.

I also still have and use a mid 80s Mountain Technology axe. Along with fibre pile jackets they were almost an ID badge for British climbers in the Alps in those days.
Is the Optimus stove the one that folds into a steel case? I had one many years ago and remember that the whole thing used to glow red hot while it was being used. It was far too heavy for backpacking but made a great car camping stove if you could cope with the smell of paraffin.

Eyelet

Re: Do you still use any way, way back equipment or clothing.
« Reply #10 on: 14:13:08, 28/02/21 »

I also still have and use a mid 80s Mountain Technology axe. Along with fibre pile jackets they were almost an ID badge for British climbers in the Alps in those days.
Is the Optimus stove the one that folds into a steel case? I had one many years ago and remember that the whole thing used to glow red hot while it was being used. It was far too heavy for backpacking but made a great car camping stove if you could cope with the smell of paraffin.

Yes those axes were well made weren't they - the other ID badge was cooking outside the huts as impecunious Brits back then!

Yes you are spot on about the stove - here is an image showing one in use taken at our underground camp on a caving expedition to Sardinia in 1980.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:23:12, 28/02/21 »
I used a 'way back' item of clothing on my run today, my fault, I forgot to bring in my used gear from my car to wash. My 'way back' item of clothing is only about 5 years old but I hate it and I have two of them to hate!

I read once (and I believed it) how wonderful elasticated synthetic tightfitting clothes (the type they use in gyms) can be for hiking so I went out and bought two tops at £40 each, each made by Odlo. They are very well made and still look as good as new but I still hate them! I've done some daft things in my life!

Within a day or two of using them, I realised that for me they have been the worst clothing I have ever bought! I feel like a trussed-up turkey, once perspiration is involved they make me feel too cold and clammy and I just don't feel' right when wearing them.

I haven't thrown them away, I just use them now and again when I run out of clean running clothing, or when I want to punish myself!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:32:22, 28/02/21 »
Just checked my old till receipts.
Ive still got my original Buffalo Windshirt, bought new in 1982.

What really surprised me though, was that my Berghaus fleece, the one i thought i bought in 1985 in Crickhowell Adventure gear, was purchased in Edinburgh in 1978.

I bought it whilst on holiday, in a shop just off Princes St, and its got years of life left in it.

I was just looking through an old photographic album, and there was me, standing under the Scotts Memorial, wearing this fleece.

My oldest bit of kit, is a small Swiss Army Victrinox knife, ive had since 1971.

It gets used now and again, and no doubt will outlast me

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:07:28, 28/02/21 »
Still using the early 80's Karrimor Jaguar haversack. Pressed into service for the Coast to Coast walk a couple of years back and performed great. I was surprised that the weight wasn't even far off (normal) modern bags, guess it's a very simple design without the needless bells & whistles. The hip belt is the best I've ever used. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:06:00, 28/02/21 »

...the other ID badge was cooking outside the huts as impecunious Brits back then!

..or sleeping in the porch of a hut (all SEVEN of us) as we were too tight fisted to pay!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy