Author Topic: ViewRanger and Compass Use  (Read 3911 times)

Dread

Re: ViewRanger and Compass Use
« Reply #15 on: 16:36:07, 30/03/19 »
You can add data pages, on those you can have a large compass icon and data fields, one of which can be bearing.

Can you do that on the app? I can't find how you do this. I have the free version though.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:39:05, 30/03/19 »
Oh well, fortunately I can use the real thing.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:40:27, 30/03/19 »

Can you do that on the app? I can't find how you do this. I have the free version though.

Sure, you access them by tapping the Trip time button, lower left.  Note you can change what is displayed on that button by a long press, you can then select, for example, bearing

https://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=53
« Last Edit: 16:45:46, 30/03/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Dread

« Reply #18 on: 16:51:58, 30/03/19 »
Thanks Sussamb, I've got it now. I mainly use the app to plot routes and then tell me if I'm sticking to them. I can see that I've not been using its full capabilities now.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:22:09, 30/03/19 »
Still nothing showing so I guess my phone doesn't have an internal compass.

It should though give you bearings, heading etc based on your GPS reading, see my post above about data pages.  You can set up one of those to show the compass or have direction showing in the datafields on the map page.
Where there's a will ...

Dread

« Reply #20 on: 17:47:43, 30/03/19 »
My last phone was a Motorola which had no compass. Viewranger worked fine and i used it a lot. As sussamb says, the GPS will still find you and give you bearings.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:22:08, 31/03/19 »
In fact some scientists who study the earth's magnetic field say we could even see the earth's poles flip-flop in our lifetime! Not to worry (too much) B/C this flip has happened hundreds of times in the earth's history according to geologists.
Mars was the same. Then one time instead of flipping, it turned off. Without the magnetosphere to protect it from the solar wind it lost much of its atmosphere, liquid water boiled off in the decreased pressure, and it ended up as it is now.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:22:29, 31/03/19 »
Mars was the same. Then one time instead of flipping, it turned off. Without the magnetosphere to protect it from the solar wind it lost much of its atmosphere, liquid water boiled off in the decreased pressure, and it ended up as it is now.
  As I understand it, the loss of the Martian planetary magnetic field is thought to be due to the planet cooling and the loss of the internal dynamo provided by the molten core when it solidified.  A solid core would no longer have the instabilities in the flows in the liquid core needed to cause the poles to occasionally flip.
Solvitur Ambulando

Litehiker

« Reply #23 on: 22:07:22, 31/03/19 »
ninthace,

Since Mars is smaller than earth the loss of its magnetosphere could be from the loss of a molten core. However more recent Mars orbiter studies indicate that Mars was once hit with an angular trajectory blow form planetoid (think Pluto). So that may have been what  took out both the atmosphere and the molten core in one fell swoop.

Eric B.

P.S. I still say "THE SKY IS FALLING!" Only this "sky" is our ever increasing Co2 and methane emissions creating accelerating global warming. I taught high school (grade 12) Environmental Studies for 25 years and in 2002 what we are experiencing now was not supposed to have happened until 2050! Jus' sayin'...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:36:10, 31/03/19 »
Funny you should say that - my original draft had the sentence "Opinions vary as to what may have caused this"  as my second sentence but I deleted it.  Another school of thought is that water may have been a contributing factor,  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wate-may-have-killed-mars-magnetic-field
Ain't science wonderful?  Incidentally, I learned about the greenhouse effect and global warming at school in the sixth form in 1967.  It also came up in my Environmental Science course at university in 69 yet Trump and co still deny the science.
« Last Edit: 22:39:46, 31/03/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Litehiker

« Reply #25 on: 21:48:19, 01/04/19 »
Yeah, Trumo!

A climate-denier president 10 years ago would have been "tolerable". But now with such a small window of time to remediate tings it is a disaster.

Thankfully most big manufacturing states are going ahead with their anti-pollution, Co2 reduction plans anyway. hereinNevqda we are about to pass a bill (after a referendum passed) which will REQUIRE the state electric suppliers to have 50% of there power from renewable resources.

BTW, in May I will be getting rooftop solar on our house that will cut our electric bill quite a bit. Maybe when DC solar storage batteries drop 50% in price I'll have one installed on the inside garage wall.

Eric B.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy