Author Topic: Recommendations for first Wainwright  (Read 1095 times)

Matt010791

Recommendations for first Wainwright
« on: 20:37:22, 25/08/19 »
As the title says does anyone have a recommendation of which Wainwright to do as your first one? I will be doing it with my family so it would have to be suitable for a 7 year old and me carrying a 20 month old in a child carrier. My 7 year old does do a lot of walking in wales with her grandad so she's pretty good if I'm being honest, its not uncommon for me to tell her to slow down ha. I live in warrington so the lakes aren't really too far for me to travel. Also a well defined path which doesn't require to much thinking and navigation wouldn't go amiss for our first one. Thanks

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for first Wainwright
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:50, 25/08/19 »
Dodd, easy to follow signed paths and nothing which will get scary with a youngster on your back.
Barf and Lords Seat are good options for similar reasons.
As a trial you could do Hardkott or Binsey but they will not satisfy a serious 7 year old walker
« Last Edit: 21:13:06, 25/08/19 by Ridge »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:11:39, 25/08/19 »
I did Latrigg from Keswick first and it was a good choice. It's probably easier than Lord's Seat and Barf where the water logged path between the two and especially the descent from Barf caused me to slow down a lot when I was 23 stone. It might not cause you the same problems even carrying a child.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:22:30, 25/08/19 »
I understand Cat Bells is traditional for a first Wainwright and you can tie it in with a boat ride if you want.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:39:12, 25/08/19 »
Catbells perfect for the 7 year old. I was worried about the slight scrambley section with a youngster in the backpack but I could be being over cautious.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:06:39, 25/08/19 »
Catbells perfect for the 7 year old. I was worried about the slight scrambley section with a youngster in the backpack but I could be being over cautious.
My grandson did Adam & Eve on Tryfan when he was barely one! The greater risk on these occasions is a stumble on an “easy” section.  When the going is more complicated, people are usually more careful.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:29:42, 26/08/19 »
Catbells is a fine hill for a youngster.

I climbed Helm Crag above Grasmere when I was 7 (my first 'mountain'), but it is a steep haul. Catbells is a better walk.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Matt010791

« Reply #7 on: 12:18:39, 26/08/19 »
Thanks everyone for your input, looks like its going to be Catbells then. Were going to pencil it in for the 7th Sept, we walked Ingleton falls yesterday as a family, lovely walk even if it did cost me 17quid but it was far too hot crying a youngster on your back. Hopefully it will be a little cooler when we do catbells.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:07:00, 26/08/19 »
If it helps any Matt, when I did Catbells I got talking to a couple who had a baby in a backpack carrier thing - it was the first time I'd seen a contraption like that. He said it was only like wearing a rucksack that kicks you and pulls your hair now and again  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:27:58, 26/08/19 »
Catbells is a great first hill, it was the first Wainwright that both of my kids did. Make sure that the 7 year old knows that you are heading for the second summit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy