Author Topic: Skies Above Britain  (Read 3269 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Skies Above Britain
« Reply #15 on: 13:41:29, 22/08/16 »
... i am still amazed that such sensitive military monovers are readily available for all to see...

Eh?

Er, I think you'll find the data on Flighradar24 is civilian air traffic. Click on a few - I doubt you'll find many Typhoons, Tornados, Hawks or Tucanos. The planes nearest to Valley right now are a 767 flying from Manchester to Toronto, an A320 from Dublin to Stuttgart, and a 777 heading for LHR from Chicago.

I believe the positional info published by Flighradar24 is from each aircraft's transponder and could be picked up by anyone with a receiver. I understand the route info comes from published sources such as airlines. The service is used widely by the aviation industry as well as by enthusiasts the site claims a million hits a day.
Skip

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:42:29, 22/08/16 »
Dyffryn - the flightradar website only shows civilian aircraft, not military.

Sorry, our posts must've crossed.
Skip

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:06:47, 22/08/16 »

My friend who lives in upper Eglwysbach, lives under the flightpath of many of these jets, he has a large white Welsh longhouse on his farm property, and it must be a building that jets use as a point for navigation.

Years ago a farmer near Bala got fed up with military jets and painted he words "[censored] Off Biggles" in huge letters on a barn roof. It only made matters worse as every pilot overflew the barn to see his handiwork. It still exists today even though overpainted and faded.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:36:06, 22/08/16 »

Years ago a farmer near Bala got fed up with military jets and painted he words "[censored] Off Biggles" in huge letters on a barn roof. It only made matters worse as every pilot overflew the barn to see his handiwork. It still exists today even though overpainted and faded.

How bizarre, I just read an article a few minutes ago about this. I googled places to go to photo jets in Wales as I'd forgotten the name of the place I was thinking about ( The Mach Loop) and found this...

http://www.targeta.co.uk/wheretogo.htm
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:49:39, 22/08/16 »
Cheers for that Bricam.

I was assured by a guy who used to drive a F4 Phantom that the actual wording was FOB not POB. Doesn't really matter though.  :)

The enthusiasts can be seen regularly at Bwlch Oer Ddrws on the A470 and there have been some spectacular photos taken around there.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:05:50, 22/08/16 »
Aye, I've seen the videos on YouTube and quite fancied a visit  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy