Author Topic: Specific actions on viewranger  (Read 1119 times)

Ronin83

Specific actions on viewranger
« on: 09:27:23, 16/06/20 »
Hi.
Does anyone know if you can change which points on a route are the start and end points? So not just moving them but actually making the start a different point on the route.

Is there a way to split the route in two? I want to see the distance for each day as I've plotted for 2 days, but only get an overall distance.

Also something I've found frustrating is not being able to delete a bulk section instead of individual points one by one.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Specific actions on viewranger
« Reply #1 on: 10:02:53, 16/06/20 »
Hi.
Does anyone know if you can change which points on a route are the start and end points? So not just moving them but actually making the start a different point on the route.

Is there a way to split the route in two? I want to see the distance for each day as I've plotted for 2 days, but only get an overall distance.

Also something I've found frustrating is not being able to delete a bulk section instead of individual points one by one.
I have never tried these actions in VR, I am not sure it can be done.  However, if I was faced with the problem, I would export the track as a gpx file into Garmin Basecamp where you can easily split tracks and bulk delete waypoints, then reimport the files into VR.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 19:34:01, 16/06/20 »
I have never tried these actions in VR, I am not sure it can be done.  However, if I was faced with the problem, I would export the track as a gpx file into Garmin Basecamp where you can easily split tracks and bulk delete waypoints, then reimport the files into VR.

Brilliant, thanks.
Took a bit of working out, but I downloaded it and done that. Problem is I can't seem to change the start point and it seems to be using that as the other point to split between.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:32:06, 16/06/20 »
I don't believe you can do this.  I've messed around with VR loads and it is fantastic in some ways (their 3D route view is epic and very useful!) but the route creation is a little unwieldy.  First of all, auto route is always worth turning off, and secondly if you need to 'cut' a route in to pieces I've found it is far easier to just click Reset and start again - it'll mean less clicks in the end.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:37:59, 16/06/20 »

Brilliant, thanks.
Took a bit of working out, but I downloaded it and done that. Problem is I can't seem to change the start point and it seems to be using that as the other point to split between.

I have just tried to do it for the first time and the following works in BaseCamp for a circular route.  In summary, you need to split the old track at the new start point to create track fragments and then paste them back together in the right order.

Split the route at the new start/finish point to create route fragments comprising a track from the new start to the old finish and a track fron the old start to the new finish.  To do this just right click on the track at the new start/finish and select "split track".   This will create a fragment from the new start to the old finish and from the old start to the split point.  Save them as numbered fragments so you know which one is which.  BaseCamp will number them for you.

Now create a new track by combining the track fragments in the correct sequence.  To do this, double click each track in turn to open its waypoints window then Ctrl A Ctrl C to copy all the waypoints.  Open the waypoints window of the first track element and paste the second set of waypoints behind the way points in the new first track elements's waypoints window.

Useful tips:

If you get the odd extraneous point, delete the last way point before pasting the next block of way points in.

It you are unsure which waypoint is which, click on it and it will appear circled on the map, use the down arrow to follow the waypoints in sequence.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy