Author Topic: My very first cycle/camping trip  (Read 538 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My very first cycle/camping trip
« on: 19:34:28, 10/09/19 »
I've never done it before but I'm thinking about doing my very first cycle/camping trip from this Sunday. It's only for four days, possibly five, from Caen to Saint Brieuc, starting on the La Velo Francette to Domfron en Poirale and then turning east towards St Malo. I'll return to the UK from St Malo. I'm going to use my hiking clothing as much as possible, but my only problem is deciding what sort of shoes to wear? I only want to buy cheap so maybe a pair of trainers might be suitable? To avoid wet feet I suppose I should buy some form of foot gaiters as well? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Over the years I've learned how to estimate how many miles I can hike in a day but I find it difficult to estimate whats a reasonable cycling distance in a day? For those who cycle have you any idea what this might be?

I think I might buy a helmet as well.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: My very first cycle/camping trip
« Reply #1 on: 20:00:26, 10/09/19 »
I have done a bit of cycle touring in France, though not camping. I just wear trainers for shoes, hiking gear for the top half, but would strongly recommend padded cycle shorts, they really make a difference. I can't really advise on distance, all my trips have been with fellow grannies, and we concentrate more on good coffee, food and wine than mileage.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:02:44, 10/09/19 »
Sounds really good to me, I always believe in getting the priorities right!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:08:17, 10/09/19 »
What sort of pedals do you have? If you use flats or the old straps then trainers are fine. If you have clip it's then you'll need shoes with the right cleats in.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:53:07, 10/09/19 »
Gunwarfman .
You can get all your cycle gear from Decathalon .
Cycle department
Helmet, padded cycle shorts , Undercarriage chaffing cream
Dwp trainers . Short gaiters .
Or Cycle bootie covers , lightweight Hi-via waterproof cycle jacket .
One Litre water bottles plus bottle holders .
Twin panniers plus top bag .
Distance per day about 30/40 miles a day pootling along at leisurely 10/12 miles per hour .
Don't rush take your time and enjoy .
Good luck  :) :D 8) O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy