Author Topic: TR Daisy Nook and Park Bridge Sat 27 Jun 20  (Read 2237 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Daisy Nook and Park Bridge Sat 27 Jun 20
« on: 14:21:25, 28/06/20 »
Our walk started from the Daisy Nook car park near Medlock Hall, google tells me it is the John Howarth Countryside Centre car park. It was forecast to be a bit of a grim day, blustery with many rain showers that could be heavy and thundery so Beefy came up with this low level walk.

Info about Daisy Nook below
https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200393/parks_countryside_and_canals/684/daisy_nook_country_park

Heron perched on a tree trunk

In Daisy Nook Country Park

It was a lovely trail through the trees in Boodle Wood

The River Medlock is at a low level

We left the park when we reached the A627 and turned right up the road for 5 minutes then we turned left up a track that lead to near Holden Clough then ended up on an old disused railway line.

On the disused railway line

Common Toadflax

Google is handy, we had no idea what these flowers were but they were beautiful. The name doesn't suit the flower if you ask me!

We followed the railway line until we reached Alt Hill Road where we turned right because we were going to go up Hartshead Pike. It started raining again, the rain so far had been light and on and off but this was much heavier. I didn't feel very well, we'd walked for an hour and I had zero energy and my head was swimming. After struggling on the climb up the road I asked if we could miss Hartshead Pike out so we back tracked down the road then turned right to Park Bridge and the heritage centre, details below.
www.tameside.gov.uk/parkbridge

In the grounds of the Park Bridge Heritage Centre

Chimney in the Park Bridge Heritage Centre

We'd stopped for lunch on a flat area beyond the trees seen in this shot and thankfully it stopped raining and the sun came out.

I felt slightly better after the rest and food but Squeaky started limping. She'd hurt her rear right paw. I cleaned her paw with a wipe but couldn't see anything obvious that was hurting her paw. Beefy carried her for a while but Squeaky wanted to walk so she limped along for a while but then it seemed to improve. We followed the River Medlock back to the Daisy Nook Country Park.

Water lilies

The Bardsley Canal, a disused canal these days

We spotted some moorhens and they were visiting a nest on the canal bank. They had 2 chicks.

One of them was a tennis ball on legs!

One of the parents

The shot is slighlty blurred becasue they were shifting a bit on the canal.

The tennis ball has a head!

Beefy mentioned we would see a lot of birds with chicks and I had said it might be too late for chicks. Shows how much I know  ::) It was fabulous, we saw a lot of birds with chicks!

Zooming in to a Coot nest with chick seen left with the red head

There seems to be a 3rd adult bird here helping to build or maintain the nest.

Zoomed out view of the nest

The nest is just above the centre in the shot. I think this area is called Sammy's basin

Another zoom in shows 2 chicks

Mother mallard and twins

We saw another coot nest which was a bit closer to the path

Coot and babby coot

Same coot with a few more babbies in view

The chick in the previous shot is now under it's mam or dad's wing.

We didn't go as far as Crime Lake we turned back toward the car park. We diverted off the path to see a swan's nest. We'd seen them from the other side of the pond but were too far away.

2 swans with 5 cygnets

We sheltered under some trees for about 10 mins as the heavens opened again. The walk was 6.8 miles long 240m in ascent. The route was John Howarth Countryside centre car park (Daisy Nook) - Boodle Wood - A627 - Holden Clough - Park Bridge Heritage Centre - path alongside the River Medlock - Bardsley Canal - Sammies Basin - car park. It was still early and the weather had brightened for the time being so we drove up to the parking area near Hartshead Pike.

Hartshead Pike

It was short walk up to the tower and it was blowing a hoolie so we didn't hang around very long. There were a few people sitting around the tower so this was the only shot I could take of the tower.

Info about it in the link below
www.ashton-under-lyne.com/history/hartshead.htm

View toward Manchester from Hartshead Pike

Looking back from the track back to the car

I could see hills in the distance but I don't know what they are called. This walk was about 0.5 miles with about 50m of ascent. Back at the car we had second lunch and we talked about the following weekend when we are "allowed" to wild camp again. Shame the weather looks wet and windy :(

For those who like to look at a map of the walk here are 2 pics of the Daisy Nook walk

Route map 1

Route Map 2
Hate will never win

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Daisy Nook and Park Bridge Sat 27 Jun 20
« Reply #1 on: 14:30:01, 28/06/20 »
Tennis ball on legs  ;D .
Great photos , especially the birds and their young & that Heron wow... Hartshead pike view had a super moody sky . Looks like a great walk . O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:01:37, 28/06/20 »
Great pics Ape O0
Those tennis balls are lovely  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:20:55, 28/06/20 »
Lovely varied walk, great photos ... wildlife are always amazing to watch with their young, have a real soft spot for Coot's, they are incredible birds with their funny looking chicks!

Herons are another of my favourites, watched one waking up opposite where we camped in Lake District, stretching every part of it's body before it eventually took off looking for it's breakfast.

Hope you and Squeaky are both feeling OK now.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:45:09, 28/06/20 »
Good to see that you remembered your camera  O0
Lovely ducklings, swanlings and cootlings.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:14:39, 28/06/20 »
Some lovely wildlife pics there April.  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:27:57, 28/06/20 »
Looks a pretty walk    :)    Love the photos of the baby birds     :)

Hope Squeaky's paw is getting better

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:15:56, 28/06/20 »
Well I was smiling and saying awwww all the way through those pics  :)

Hope you feel better soon April and hope Squeaky's paw does too.

Edited to add: I think Ridge is going to knock me/ninthace off top spot for Word Of The Week Award"  ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:17:05, 29/06/20 »
Nice pics April - hope you're feeling ok now.  It's horrible when the dog starts limping isn't it?  Our Daisy has really skinny paws like Squeaky and she is forever getting stuff stuck in them, whereas clod-hopping Beelzebub, sorry, Penny, has huge paws for her size and can walk over anything.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:54:20, 29/06/20 »
Great pics April from another lovely trip out O0
Hope Squeaky is fit for weekend ( and you as well  ;) )

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:28:34, 29/06/20 »
Tennis ball on legs  ;D .

I had no idea it was until I got home and got the pics up on the laptop  :)

Those tennis balls are lovely  ;D

;D

Hope you and Squeaky are both feeling OK now.

Squeaky seemed back to normal by the time the walk was over  :) I still felt a bit off yesterday but feel a lot better today, thanks Dodgylegs  :)

Lovely ducklings, swanlings and cootlings.

They were indeed  :)

Some lovely wildlife pics there April.  O0

It was great seeing all the birds  :)

Looks a pretty walk    :)   

It was, shame it rained  :)

Edited to add: I think Ridge is going to knock me/ninthace off top spot for Word Of The Week Award"  ;D

I think those are real words so it doesn't count  :D

It's horrible when the dog starts limping isn't it?

It is but she was ok by the end and I am ok now so it is all good  :)

Hope Squeaky is fit for weekend ( and you as well  ;) )

We are but have you seen the forecast?  :(
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:31:25, 29/06/20 »
Lovely bird pictures, moody skies and a view over Manchester - a good day despite the rain.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:34:32, 29/06/20 »
Thanks vghikers  O0
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:57:53, 30/06/20 »
Great pictures of the birds, April, especially the chicks. And it looks like a nice walk, lots of trees and water.  O0

I didn't get out much this weekend, camped in the new tent in the back garden in heavy rain, and walked the dog locally (got absolutely soaked) but that is about it. Managed a good 7 miles up in Chapel House Plantation up above Windermere yesterday though- timed it well as the heavy rain was just finishing as I set off. Murk on the hills, but some beautiful orchids and the bog asphodel is coming into flower.

Good luck with your wild camp - the forecast for the hills does look dire. I might hold off until Monday night when things will be quieter (weather and of people) - one of the joys of being retired is that I can pick and choose  ;D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:34:49, 30/06/20 »
Great pictures of the birds, April, especially the chicks.

Thanks Richard  :)

I didn't get out much this weekend, camped in the new tent in the back garden in heavy rain, and walked the dog locally (got absolutely soaked) but that is about it.

How do you like your new tent? I hope Tess (and yourself) have dried out by now  :)

Good luck with your wild camp - the forecast for the hills does look dire. I might hold off until Monday night when things will be quieter (weather and of people) - one of the joys of being retired is that I can pick and choose  ;D

It does look pretty grim over the weekend  :(

I am on hols from work next week though so I'm sure we will get a dry weather wild camp in  :)

We also have a couple of days booked on a small campsite in the Cheviots to look forward to and the weather looks pretty good (fingers crossed)  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy