Author Topic: South downs way itinerary  (Read 1726 times)

Riggy

South downs way itinerary
« on: 16:52:49, 24/03/21 »
Newbie here!
So I've decided to walk the south downs way in September all being well. Planning way ahead but its all in the planning right?!
My route;
Eastbourne - Southease - wild camp
Southease - Upper Beeding - wild camp or YHA
Upper Beeding - Amberley - Foxleigh campsite
Amberley - Cocking - wild camp or Manor Farm
Cocking - East Meon - wetherdown Lodge
East Meon - Winchester - HOTEL  ;D

To anyone that knows, is this doable and sound ok. Where we plan to wild camp there is shops nearby i believe to re stock.
Love hiking but first time doing something like this.
Any help appreciated, TIA

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: South downs way itinerary
« Reply #1 on: 17:45:04, 24/03/21 »
Welcome to the forum Riggy - I'm afraid that I can't help you with the South Downs Way as I live up north. I'm sure that other members will be along soon who can.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:10:00, 24/03/21 »
Its a long time (15 years maybe?) since I hiked from Eastbourne, but I do remember ending the first day where the South Downs Way crosses the main road (A27) between Brighton and Lewis. There was a large pub/restaurant and hotel there and I dined and drank very well there. I wild camped on the other side of the road, just behind a clump of tall grass.

I notice on the free OS map on www.bing.com that there is a small blue campsite logo on the map? Is the site still there?

I couldn't guarantee it but it suggests to me that your plan is a good one. The South Downs is not hard going (if the weather is OK)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:16:55, 24/03/21 »
One suggestion you might consider?

When you get to the Visitor Centre and Cafe at Queen Elizabeth Country Park then up to the top of Butser Hill, instead of following the South Downs Way to East Meon, (the long way) just make your way almost as the crow flies to East Meon.

Warbler

« Reply #4 on: 23:15:08, 24/03/21 »
I'd say it's doable if you're fit enough. I walked from Cocking to Eastbourne (opposite direction to your plan) in 5 days. I live close to the western end of the Downs so had covered most of that area on day walks.

I stayed at Foxleigh camp site in Amberley. Nice small site with a cosy little kitchen with microwave, kettle etc. A bit pricey at £15 though. This was 2 years ago.
After this I stayed in the YHA at Truleigh Hill (near Upper Beeding) as the weather was atrocious, although they do have camping facilities. Then stayed at Housedean Farm campsite where the route crosses the A27, then at Alfriston campsite before walking to Eastbourne and catching a train home.

The SDW is not the walk in the park that some may suggest. There are some long steepish climbs, especially between Eastbourne and Amberley. Having said that, I'm an 'old git', so again it's down to how walking fit you are.

Enjoy the walk, it's a really nice route.

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 13:13:45, 25/03/21 »
I've walked the SDW twice and parts many times
It's slippery in the wet and dusty when dry.
The only en-routr supply points arr at Alfriston and Exton, but Pyecombe, Cocking and Amberley are close.
Southease has a YHA.
There is  a campsite at Morn Hill N of SDW and E of Winchester.
A-Z maps Adventure series do a strip map and Gazetteer of the SDW.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:48:22, 25/03/21 »

That plan is certainly realistic.

I walked the SDW last summer in the opposite direction (which I prefer, because it gets better when you go east - A spectacular ending with the Seven Sisters near Eastbourne. If you walk west it peters out a bit in the end). I just carried all my food and wild camped everywhere. It was awesome :)

Given the continuing international travel situation, I'm considering doing it again this summer, as the start point is just a 30 minute bus ride from where I live and I can just grab my supplies and go. Wild camping = no bookings :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:38:41, 25/03/21 »
Warbler highlights a matter something which irritates me about camping in the South, the high price of a patch of grass, £15, I just wouldn't pay it! My maximum is £10 unless I'm really desperate or ill!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy