Author Topic: First holiday to incorporate walks  (Read 1078 times)

AL1

First holiday to incorporate walks
« on: 16:51:09, 08/09/20 »
Hello all.  Having recently been to North Devon, particularly loved Lynmouth and have since seen online there are some nice  walks around there.  Thinking about going back next year to  stay in the area and incorporate  some walks.  Being a beginner I have found some I have googled which all sound great.  Can you recommend a good source to pick up maps and information about them in more detail, showing places to stop etc.  Or from your experiences can you recommend where we should go. Hoping to stay in Lynmouth or Linton and do a few walks over a week  or two from there, but would consider staying somewhere else overnight if it is a longer walk.  Already got pretty decent boots but will need kitting out properly with everything else.  Guessing somewhere like Go Outdoors might be really pricey, do you recommend anywhere for clothing?  Thanks all.  Really keen to get into walking, especially coastal walks so would love to hear what you think. Plan to get some training in with some longer walks  at home to ensure we are fit  enough beforehand as don't want to get injured and mess up  the whole trip.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: First holiday to incorporate walks
« Reply #1 on: 17:08:29, 08/09/20 »
Welcome to the forum AL1.

Not my area, I'm afraid, but for route suggestions, you could try Viewranger?
https://my.viewranger.com/route/search#!51.229393909975954|-3.829169699999997|11
Also, the local tourist board will be glad to help. And you have the coastal path, of course.
For maps, Ordnance Survey - amongst the best in the world.

As for equipment, you already have the boots, and you needn't spend a lot on other equipment for low level day walking. A small rucksack, waterproof jacket, any comfortable non cotton trousers (not jeans), a cheapo fleece and you're pretty much there. Just use whatever is in your wardrobe wherever possible.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:39:22, 08/09/20 »
Welcome
There are loads of walks.  Too many to put in a post.  Search the OS Website or ViewRanger.  I have parked a lot of routes in that area on both sites.  If you search ViewRanger using the short code Nthce and you will find them - marked by the same avatar as I use on this forum.  There are nearly all half day walks.  Routes on the OS website in that area beginning YYMMDD are probably mine also.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:31:48, 09/09/20 »
I did spot your avatar on Viewranger, ninthace!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:07:46, 10/09/20 »
As Ninthace has said.

If you are happy to follow a map you will find the paths in that area generally well waymarked and open to walk so devising your own route not too difficult. There are many books of walks available but often the directions in them are a bit vague so having a map (paper or phone) is often a huge help.
If you decide to buy a paper map  https://dash4it.co.uk  are good for discounted Ordnance Survey maps. Buy the 1:25000 Explorer no.9 preferably waterproof (It rains down here! but if you buy a waterproof one it should guarantee dry weather for our trip!!))
Like many others on here, I use Viewranger on my phone. Again it's worth paying for the Ordnance Survey maps.

You have boots, so the only other clothes are waterproofs - Regatta is just as good as the more expensive brands - and a back pack. Again the cheaper brands are fine for day walks when pretty much all you need is the space for lunch/drink and your waterproofs if the sun shines. I love my Alpkit Gourdon waterproof day sack, https://alpkit.com

PS the sun does shine - occasionally - ;)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy