Author Topic: Please forgive me.  (Read 4378 times)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Please forgive me.
« on: 18:49:52, 06/12/20 »
Today I went for a walk, but I went out of my tier 3 home (West Yorkshire) and spent most of my time walking in a tier 2 area (North Yorkshire) have I done wrong?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Please forgive me.
« Reply #1 on: 19:09:11, 06/12/20 »
Yes.  You did wrooooooonggggg boy.  Now beat yourself over the head with the soggy end of a haddock until you repent.

And stop trolling.  You full well knew the answer before you asked the question, so why else would you ask?

AAAAAndd, for the avoidance of doubt – the reason I know you knew the answer to your question before you asked is because the topic is called “please forgive me”. 

So reap what you sow.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:11:23, 06/12/20 »
have I done wrong?
My understanding is that yes you have.

My Dad's in tier 3, we are in tier 2 and I haven't seen him since the end of August and currently won't be near him over Christmas either. Our current plan is that we go out on a walk and see him and my sister's family, who hew is in a bubble with, in the distance on 28th December.

Everyone has a reason why their bending of the rules was OK.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:43:39, 06/12/20 »
Yes.  You did wrooooooonggggg boy.  Now beat yourself over the head with the soggy end of a haddock until you repent.

And stop trolling.  You full well knew the answer before you asked the question, so why else would you ask?

AAAAAndd, for the avoidance of doubt – the reason I know you knew the answer to your question before you asked is because the topic is called “please forgive me”. 

So reap what you sow.

What do you mean "trolling" it is situation a lot of walkers are finding themselves in. I was hoping it my spur a debate on what others walkers take on it might be. 

Van Morrison

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:54:18, 06/12/20 »

What do you mean "trolling" it is situation a lot of walkers are finding themselves in. I was hoping it my spur a debate on what others walkers take on it might be.
The mock repentance when you knew full well what you were doing and the advertising of what you have done is blatantly baiting the hook. There have already been enough COVID-19 threads and invasion by COVID of other threads. Do we really need yet another one, which is bound to cause yet more argument? I’m with Mel on this one.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:14:11, 07/12/20 »
The mock repentance when you knew full well what you were doing and the advertising of what you have done is blatantly baiting the hook. There have already been enough COVID-19 threads and invasion by COVID of other threads. Do we really need yet another one, which is bound to cause yet more argument? I’m with Mel on this one.

OK I accept that the headline may be a bit wrong, but it was there to get attention (which it has) I Was not trying to "bait the Hook" as you say. It is less than half a mile from my house to the county border. Most of my regular walks mean that I will/would go over into North Yorkshire.

I was hoping to keep this purely about peoples feelings about walking from one tier to another. Fully accepting others will take a different view. But I also accept that once you start a thread you really can't control where it goes. (although some people do seem to think you can)

Van Morrison

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 05:39:21, 07/12/20 »

I was hoping to keep this purely about peoples feelings about walking from one tier to another. Fully accepting others will take a different view. But I also accept that once you start a thread you really can't control where it goes. (although some people do seem to think you can)

There’s have been a fair number of threads where that’s been established.

I think it’s obvious (?) that it’s against the rules...and that does have a fairly logical basis. By doing that you might increase the risk for other people.

You might..for example..be a carrier even though you have no symptoms. Are you wiping down all stiles and other things you touch with an alcohol wipe?

Or by travelling somewhere for a walk (rather than doing a walk from your doorstep) you slightly increase risk of an accident needing help when services are already stretched.

Arguments can be put forward why this wouldn’t be a really bad breach of the rules. (Think we’ve all seen dafter breaches while doing supermarket shopping.)

But impossible I think to argue that it isn’t a breach of the rules...and that often the driving force for doing it would be putting personal pleasure before safety of others.

I’m avoiding it myself...but then I do have a garden and a reasonable number of walks I can do from my doorstep. In other circumstances who knows what I would do?

Peak

« Reply #7 on: 06:19:04, 07/12/20 »
I find all of this confusing, students can now travel the length & breadth of the country to go home for Christmas, but I can't go for a walk in neighbouring Derbyshire where I probably won't come into contact with anyone due to the time and location of my walks. Nottingham City Council decided to have a Christmas market which was closed after one day because of the number of people attending, have a look online, its ridiculous. I have stuck by the rules so far but the rule makers are now making me think sod it.

Peak

« Reply #8 on: 06:49:36, 07/12/20 »
I forgot to mention that we in Nottingham are in tier 3, what were the council thinking of?. Perhaps the Mellors group that run these things have too much influence.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:45:09, 07/12/20 »

Nope.  Not buying it.  You've done it before.  And you're not dim.  You know what you're doing. 

For the second time - for you: 

Trolling: In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:28:11, 07/12/20 »

Nope.  Not buying it.  You've done it before.  And you're not dim.  You know what you're doing. 

For the second time - for you: 

Trolling: In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

Lets agree to disagree, others have responded without any problems. Maybe I approach things differently to you, but "trolling"  isn't my intention. That is why I will "kick back" when you suggest it.

Van Morrison

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:04:08, 07/12/20 »
I've been the owner and administrator of a forum for almost 10 years. My forum is about cruise ships and cruising, a subject that has died a death this year and discussions have pretty much dried up, so I've probably spent more time here than I would otherwise have done. I've also been a member of several other forums and, in my experience, active members who frequently provoke responses are usually viewed by the owners as assets. I agree that what is acceptable can be debatable, but there are always mechanisms in place to report posts, so that moderators (if they exist) and administrators can deal with members who cross their lines.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:20:19, 07/12/20 »
Is a troll someone who also asks questions? Personally, I have never really understood this word, in my experience when I see the word used (for example its been used so many times eg: Brexit) it usually appears to me to be that Person A is trying to close down Person B so that they no longer have a voice. I have to admit that its a word I never use.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:38:00, 07/12/20 »
Is a troll someone who also asks questions? Personally, I have never really understood this word, in my experience when I see the word used (for example its been used so many times eg: Brexit) it usually appears to me to be that Person A is trying to close down Person B so that they no longer have a voice. I have to admit that its a word I never use.
I think you've hit the nail on the head GWM. I've never used that particular word either; actually, in tens of thousands of posts on various forums, I've never called another member anything at all. I think that the moment you do, you've lost any high ground you might have had...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:20:07, 07/12/20 »

Read the comments under the articles in any online local newspaper (most are owned by the same publisher) and there you will find numerous examples of unregulated trolling.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy