Author Topic: How far did you walk this January.  (Read 1631 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: How far did you walk this January.
« Reply #15 on: 08:45:40, 02/02/21 »
Interesting how 4-5 miles seems to have become the norm for many of us (me included) despite having so much time on our hands. Probably the mind numbing trog through the same mud, under the same grey skies day after day along routes which have ceased to offer the excitement of discovery as they did almost a year ago.
My longest walk in January, of 9.5 miles, was on the day before lockdown allowing me to be away from home.
Dare I suggest that lockdown is rendering walking itself boring :(

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peak

« Reply #16 on: 08:53:37, 02/02/21 »
I've noticed that in a few places locally that new paths are being created because people have decided to take short cuts instead of using the traditional path. In some cases this has resulted in a very muddy mess and as you mentioned the ruin of a few crops.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:36:13, 02/02/21 »
I attempt to plot a walk at least once a week that does not start at my doorstep . I choose to give myself some autonomy so I drive out to my walk that is local , relatively speaking .

I look for areas that do not include designated parkland and also car parks.  Car parks often attract crowds , something I avoid not just because of present conditions but that`s the way I am . With a bit of research and use of google maps there are often lay-bys and other places to find  to park a car that do not annoy local residents and is a good spot near a PROW to set off on a walk .

I have walked around 65 miles in January either across open farmland or the streets near to where I live. It is open countryside that gives me the most pleasure .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:03:54, 02/02/21 »

I hate being stuck indoors all day and so I'm always glad to be out walking and I can honestly say I never find it boring.  But I've been getting fed up walking in dreary drizzly weather this winter.  I've also found it quite dispiriting walking around town during lockdown and seeing practically everything closed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:32:24, 02/02/21 »

It's the time of year, I think, combined with the often grim weather. During the first lockdown, everything was beginning to burst into life, and the weather was so much better.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:55:59, 04/02/21 »

It's the time of year, I think, combined with the often grim weather. During the first lockdown, everything was beginning to burst into life, and the weather was so much better.
I think you are right Richard. I was talking to someone in the (virtual) bar at work the other night and we were saying that it is not surprising that everyone is a bit down and mojo-less. People are often feeling like that at this time of year and this year, of all years, is going to be more so.
I'm only doing short street walks at the moment. All the local countryside walks I have done a thousand times already in the last year, everything is dead and the mud is knee deep. I'm also quite busy so getting out properly would mean getting organised and carving out some time. I'm sure when it gets brighter and warmer I will make the effort once more.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:04:42, 04/02/21 »
Yes, I feel as if I am just hunkering down waiting for lockdown and winter to end. Normally at this time of year I would be reaching for the ice axe... /sigh

..but the days are getting longer, the snowdrops are out, and 10 million of the most vulnerable have now been vaccinated. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:45:55, 04/02/21 »
Just seeing the sun and some blue sky yesterday cheered me up.
And I have decided that if I can drive a couple of miles for milk then another mile or so to walk in Haldon forest along unmuddy forestry tracks on high ground with open views and plenty of space between me and any other people is justified.
(Actually most days I walk to get the milk :-[ )

Why I don't buy supermarket milk. At a farm shop I can buy locally produced, organic, ethical (cows suckle their calves), full cream jersey milk in glass bottles.
The milk is delicious and I estimate I've consequently not bought approximately 122 1 litre plastic bottles in the last year. That's quite a lot considering there's only one person in the household.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:06:53, 04/02/21 »
75 miles in Jan, which was disappointing.   I've been having some minor foot pain which has kept me off the longer walks, and the mix of windy/rainy/snow has cut the all day weekends walks which I tend to love most.  Fortunately we're seeing snowdrops coming through, longer days and I really do get the feeling that even if the lockdown isn't lifted for another month or slightly more, we may be able to have more of those luxurious all-day weekend walks - provided we do it safely of course.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:21:58, 04/02/21 »
I've been sticking to my New Year's resolution of not going outside to exercise. Instead, I'm working on being ready to take on the many challenges my wife and I have set ourselves for when lockdown ends. So I'm using the treadmill every morning to do a 50/50 mix of walking and running, with a focus on climbing; that's an average of 8-9 miles a day and an average daily ascent of 1,000ft.

Of course I'd rather life was back to normal with quality time spent looking after my grandchildren and being out enjoying the countryside and fresh air, but at least I'm fitter than I've ever been and I really do look forward to my morning sessions.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:56:23, 04/02/21 »
Have I missed something? Is there a change to the guidence ie. A stipulation how far you can travel to start a walk?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:31:35, 04/02/21 »
Have I missed something? Is there a change to the guidance ie. A stipulation how far you can travel to start a walk?
No change but this time round the instruction didn't expressly forbid driving. The requirement was to only leave home once a day and to stay local.

Many if not most of us, me included, could exercise only indoors like Whitstable Dave and order all shopping on line.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:56:02, 04/02/21 »
I hate being stuck indoors all day and so I'm always glad to be out walking and I can honestly say I never find it boring.

My feeling exactly, Dovegirl, even though I'm walking the same routes over and over.

As to daily distance, it varies with the weather. But I try to do a minimum of a couple of miles nearly every day, come rain or shine.

I have a few regular routes on tarmac minor roads of 4, 6 and 10 miles plus a number of footpath routes of up to 12 miles each. In all this month I guesstimate I've done very roughly 50-70 miles.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy