Author Topic: Gaitors  (Read 2401 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Gaitors
« Reply #15 on: 13:11:31, 07/01/21 »
One of the stud poppers has now come off though.  Not something I can easily mend. 

Any cobbler should be able to repair or replace that for you.

dproberts

« Reply #16 on: 07:39:13, 08/01/21 »
I have been using ex British army gaiters bought off fleabag that are spacious around calf and so far have kept me dry and unlike the karrimor ones I had breath so I don't end up with sweaty legs

edam

« Reply #17 on: 19:51:03, 10/03/21 »
I have been trying the Nanuk gaiters on . They are obviously paired as the velcro flap is different but what is left/right

Eyelet

« Reply #18 on: 09:08:52, 11/03/21 »
Usually the buckle that secures the gaiter’s underfoot strap is positioned on the outside of the boot.  O0

edam

« Reply #19 on: 10:51:50, 11/03/21 »
Buckles both sides

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:34:04, 11/03/21 »
Edam, looking at images of Nanuks there is only one buckle on the underfoot strap, which as previously stated should go on the outside. If you have two buckles then you have got the late Friday afternoon set and I would return them for a set as advertised.

Has anyone else noticed the hugely differing prices for these gaiters, from" ooh they fit my wallet with enough left over for a few pork pies" to "call the Coop I'm having a heart attack".

I love gaiters as I believe they help protect me from wet grass and ticks. I'm with GWM in that I am always on the look out for a very soft, long, ultralight material set. Probably 2oz waterproof ripstop would be strong enough.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:05:19, 11/03/21 »
Normally the right gaiter goes clockwise round the right leg  so the edge of the overlap faces right.  Left leg vice versa.
I lent a set to an inexperienced friend going on a charity walk, they came back muddy with an odd pattern of muck - turned out he had worn them back to front all day
« Last Edit: 14:03:12, 11/03/21 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:31:08, 11/03/21 »
Buckles both sides is a strange design. As previously mentioned gaiters normally only have one buckle on the outside edge of the gaiter which is usually on the outside edge of the boot so the buckles and straps don't catch or rub together when walking. Unless the buckles are metal they will damage very easily if they happen to catch together.

Found this https://guns.allzip.org/topic/204/2203302.html

Don't know if the image below helps or not? It's very difficult to tell (even when zoomed in on the image) but it looks like the flap opening edge is on the outside edge of the boot.

Eyelet

« Reply #23 on: 13:47:36, 11/03/21 »
I agree with Ninthace and kinkyboots. Both my Mountain Equipment and old Berghaus gaiters wrap around as Ninthace describes. The short tab by the top press-stud points towards the outside of my leg with both these gaiters. On the Nunaks, I think the Tres-Tex label will therefore be on the inside of your leg.

I presume the two buckle design is a cheap-and-cheerful approach to being able to replace the underfoot strap (if the plastic buckles last that long) as opposed to the more complex (and more expensive to manufacture) design used by ME, Outdoor Research and RAB etc?

edam

« Reply #24 on: 17:17:01, 11/03/21 »
The same design is sold under another brand name and the pictures clearly show the 2 buckles.

I dont like having the buckles on the inside as has been said they will catch.

Its a pity as they fit my 53cm calf.
« Last Edit: 17:39:10, 11/03/21 by edam »

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:36:35, 11/03/21 »
Mine doesn't actually have buckles just adjusters on either side. I had intended to stitch one side but have not had an issue with them coming undone.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:41:48, 12/03/21 »
I've had to learn how to put my Rab gaiters on without trying to work out which one was which each time. Nowadays I just glance at the elastic fitting at the top of one of them and I instantly know that the elastic fitting needs to be on the outside of leg. I can even put them on in the dark if need be. As regards the under boot strap, I have cut the buckles off (unnecessary) and have sewn the straps on.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy