Author Topic: ViewRanger/OutdoorActive Merging  (Read 23769 times)

JohnML

Re: ViewRanger/OutdoorActive Merging
« Reply #15 on: 14:32:10, 17/02/21 »
That's exactly what I feared happening too... was partially reassured by sussamb's update, and VR still working on my iPhone... I'm frantically downloading my maps to max out the memory on this phone which if necessary I'll have to use as a separate gps - until, if it has to talk to VR servers even off line as you suggest, my version of iOS goes out of date and is not longer supported. Again, I think I have to confess to nativity thinking that buying lifetime maps meant I could keep them... I think will have to consider them like any other consumables now... and I won't make the mistake of buying a whole set again from whichever gps provider I end up with... probably 1/3 of my OS 1:25000 purchases have not been used yet... the whole set seemed a bargain at the time.

stevewood6948

« Reply #16 on: 22:25:53, 17/02/21 »
As well as losing my OS 1:25,000 maps,  my walking maps of Germany and Austria are also lost.  What to use instead?  I have used Open Street map and Open Cycle Map which have proved useful as backup and finding walks when in other countries.  I shan't spend any more money with Viewranger/Outdoor Active.

JohnML

« Reply #17 on: 23:36:12, 17/02/21 »
As well as losing my OS 1:25,000 maps,  my walking maps of Germany and Austria are also lost.  What to use instead?  I have used Open Street map and Open Cycle Map which have proved useful as backup and finding walks when in other countries.  I shan't spend any more money with Viewranger/Outdoor Active.

I too have lost/will potentially lose my Tour and Trail walking Maps of Spain and the Canaries, as well as my Spanish 1:25000 maps as Outdoor Active don't seem to carry them. It is indeed a puzzle to know where to go next... I certainly do not feel well disposed to Outdoor Active, but don't want to cut off proverbial nose to spite face.. Neither do I want to turn this thread into a series of moans, much as I may feel like it! I'm grateful to have had some clarity on how the situation is likely to unfold. I guess we have to just accept that Outdoor Active will do whatever they want- there is little chance of getting any redress, especially as the numbers of people involved will be relatively small, and the sums (while a significant loss to someone like me who is living on a pension) are hardly going to threaten the national debt.

Ho hum Guess we never stop learning - or perhaps I just never learn!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:30:03, 18/02/21 »
Get on to them double sharp John On outdoor active I have the option to choose TOPO maps which gives me  IGN Spain at 1:25,000 and OS UK at 1:25,000.
 They promised they would be available and as far as I can see after triple checking, they are.
Actually for whatever reason I find the French and Spanish maps  "look" better than on VR.
Too little, too late, too bad......

JohnML

« Reply #19 on: 01:41:44, 18/02/21 »
Thanks for the heads up Jimbob - I’ll stop moaning and check it out. The VR Spanish maps are not great, so perhaps silver linings 🤞

frustin

« Reply #20 on: 08:44:20, 18/02/21 »
I'm looking at my apple viewranger subscription and it says it's discontinued after my one year, 9th March expiry date. Does that mean only Outdoor Active subscriptions are going to be available after the viewranger ones have expired?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:22:53, 18/02/21 »
It is indeed a puzzle to know where to go next.

Take a look at All-In-One Offline Maps app. It offers a number of map formats, and offline use of sections that you choose. [email protected]
http://www.offline-maps.net/en/help
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.psyberia.offlinemaps&hl=en_US&gl=US

It is from the same stable as AlpineQuest https://www.alpinequest.net/

A comparison chart is here https://www.alpinequest.net/compare but you will see that many of the features that are free with All-in-One are premium on AlpineQuest.

EDIT: I've looked some more and, sorry, it appears to be only available for Android and not iPhone.
« Last Edit: 09:42:33, 18/02/21 by fernman »

JohnML

« Reply #22 on: 09:41:47, 18/02/21 »
Thank you fernman - I’ll take a look at that

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:08:30, 19/02/21 »
Crikey, almighty didn't know about this. Will be asking questions about this in the coming days.
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:36:37, 20/02/21 »
Has everyone who had the VR os maps subscription been given a year free on the pro+ outdooractive subscription? I have. That’s normally 5 euros a month which is a big price hike. However the ordinary outdooractive subscription is 2.5 euros a month which is pretty much exactly the same cost.

I am cautiously optimistic as I don’t think I need the more expensive subscription and the included maps (I’ve compared os explorer and the Spanish ones I’ve got for the Sierra Nevada in VR) are much better quality. They’re vector maps rather than images so zoom really nicely without pixelating. It does mean they’re quite a lot bigger though.

I’ve always uploaded my tracks for free so that’s not an issue for me. Appears I’m saving £25 this year and next year it’ll be the same cost. Of course they might put the price up but so might’ve VR.

I’d bought the Lake District and Peak District maps in VR before they offered a subscription - I had to download them again but they work fine and should continue to do so until an OS update on my phone breaks the VR app.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:20:28, 20/02/21 »
According to what VR have told me if you've bought maps you don't lose them, and if you change devices you can reinstall VR and still have access to maps you've bought. For me that's good enough.
Where there's a will ...

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:45:53, 20/02/21 »
Yes, I still have the maps I'd paid for in VR.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:57:51, 20/02/21 »
Hi Percy, I hope you are well.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:18:54, 21/02/21 »
Hi Percy, I hope you are well.
I'm well thanks Reg. You?

When I say well I mean physically well, going a bit stir crazy now.

Have a twice rearranged trip to the Lakes booked for Easter - not a cat in hells chance I don't think.

wardie

« Reply #29 on: 10:39:36, 21/02/21 »
Hello new members here and convert over the years OS Maps -> ViewRanger and now -> OutdoorActive. Have a VR subscription with all the OS maps plus a few Kompass Austria maps. Read up on the migration a bit and this thread (v helpful thanks!). Disappointing, so if I've understood this right, checking my shiny new "free!" OA Pro account in parallel to the VR subscription:

1. Unsure if the Kompass maps is included in Pro or not, their documents disagree with each other. The welcome email I just got after connecting says that I get access to the "full range of Premium maps..." and explicitly shows the Kompass logo above that text.  But the FAQ on their website says you need a Pro+ account for Kompass. And playing with their website now the Kompass option seems locked out with a "Pro Plus" icon, so I guess it's the latter.

2. And is anyone having server issues? So far the web site is OK, slow at times but the app just doesn't work... "Sign In. server currently not available"... I'd post images but I guess as a noob I'm not allowed yet. iPhone app Reliability 0/5 so far but I've just downloaded it... I hope it's not just my migration.

I'm not just here to whinge, their website looks nice and the app potentially, lots of interesting features, ecosystem stuff. Very ambitious if they aim to be the Strava for walking. Just need the basics to be solid and also value their existing customer base they've inherited/bought.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy