Author Topic: Rucksack strap whistles.  (Read 1702 times)

Pitboot

Rucksack strap whistles.
« on: 10:27:42, 31/01/20 »
I have two rucksacks with whistles that double up as chest strap buckles. One is an Osprey, the other is a Lowe Alpine, my wife has an Osprey, same type of whistle. These have one thing in common, the whistles are pathetic. Not only are they too small for most adult lips, the sound output is feeble and only good enough to attract a dog at close range.

I know that "everyone" has a mobile phone to call for help these days, but how often can you be 100% guaranteed a signal in our hills and so would have to rely on good old fashioned signalling devices?

I always carry a bright orange signal whistle in a hip pocket and thankfully have never had to use it, but it works and it's loud enough to attract attention from several hundred metres in the right conditions.

(Sits back and waits to be shot down in flames for having an opinion.) :D

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Rucksack strap whistles.
« Reply #1 on: 10:35:07, 31/01/20 »
I carry a plastic Acme 'Thunderer' whistle in my emergency pack, it's attached by a small paracord lanyard to a fire steel and striker.  Have had it/them for more years than I care to remember but have never had recourse to use it.  I've carried it since before chest strap whistles became a 'thing' and know it is there if I ever should need it though as I too think the chest straps whistles are little more than useless.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 10:41:00, 31/01/20 »
Thank god I am not alone! O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:01:43, 31/01/20 »
You're not, the chest strap whistles are all but useless, Lowe Alpine have realised this as their latest sacs don't have them.
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:24:28, 31/01/20 »
I have a reasonably old Lowe Alpine rucksack - I must have a look as I didn't know that it has/may have a whistle! 

I bought a metal whistle and it is attached by a carabiner clip to the strap at the front of the rucksack in case of need.  The one thing I didn't know at the time as being a boy scout I had presumed that you whistled SOS in Morse code i.e. 3 short whistles, 3 long and then 3 short rather than I understand the International distress signal is 6 blasts repeated with an interval of one minute between each series of 6 blasts. If your whistles are heard, you should hear three whistles in reply. Keep repeating the whistle blasts so that your location can be determined.

I guess that if I am ever in trouble I'll do both.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:46:23, 31/01/20 »
Always thought those chest strap whistles were just a gimmick, wouldn't like to rely on one for real. But then I haven't ever carried one either. Would you really hear one in a mountain gale anyway.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:57:23, 31/01/20 »
Damn, you've embarrassed me now!. This thread made me think, I just dug out my Fox branded plastic whistle bought 25 years ago, unused and still in its tiny plastic bag in my oddments kit, and oh my god, it's disgusting  :( . It appears to have grown a sticky coating of... something, a veritable health hazard in fact.

In the bin it goes, I think I'll buy a cheap Eurohike one in town, that should be enough.

A couple of my packs do have a sternum strap whistle and they're pretty feeble, despite sounding very loud indoors.

... but how often can you be 100% guaranteed a signal in our hills and so would have to rely on good old fashioned signalling devices?

I can often walk for hours without a signal. On solo backpacks I always check-in to home a few times a day when possible, but e.g. on my Cateran Trail backpack I had no signal at all until around 6pm on one day.

Edit: typo only.

« Last Edit: 12:05:31, 31/01/20 by vghikers »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:04:53, 31/01/20 »
I have a metal Acme Thunderer attached to my shoulder strap by a key ring.  It was issued to Daddy Ninthace, who was a pilot during the last unpleasantness with Germany et al.  On one side it is stamped with the the initials A M for Air Ministry, a King's crown and the number 23/230, which may relate to his squadron.  On the other side is stamped 293/14/L1785 which I presume is the stock number.  When blown it can be heard in the next county and it probably kills dogs and bats within a 300 yard radius.

Edit:  I have just looked it up 23/230 is the Acme model number https://www.warwhistles.com/acme-23-230-thunderer-whistle-history.html
« Last Edit: 12:08:37, 31/01/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:41:15, 31/01/20 »
Orange plastic whistle attached to my rucksack by a spare bootlace

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:56:09, 31/01/20 »
The trouble with the chest strap whistles is if you are out in a good Scottish gale they whistle all by themselves.I have a pretty pink whistle I was given which is attached to the same clip as the car keys in the top pocket.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:56:44, 31/01/20 »
Big orange plastic whistle here too, but to be quite realistic I think there would be extremely little chance of anyone being around to hear it if I had to use it on any of my long walks in north Wales, and even on my day walks in the Chilterns I can go for miles without seeing anyone. All I've ever used it for is to blow it down the landline at Indian scammers.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:04:12, 31/01/20 »
I met some bird watchers near Laddow when doing the pennine way. In the chat one noticed my chest whistle and asked if I had another somewhere, I didn't. He handed me a silver whistle, like referees use, and told me to put a couple of quid in a charity box sometime. Never needed it but it gangs on a key king from my chest strap now. Put some dosh in a SCOPE box in Hebden Bridge. Been thinking of carrying a couple of spares for the same reason. Never got round to it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:10:00, 31/01/20 »
I have a whistle attached on a small (very small) rubber bungee to my chest strap, It tucks in so it doesn't flop about, but should I end up in a ditch like a up-side down tortoise and be unable to get my rucksack off, I can at least get to the whistle simply by bending my head forward and pulling the whistle up.

watershed

« Reply #13 on: 18:18:44, 31/01/20 »
I have an Osprey ruck sack with a built in whistle. I also carry a Orange, ex lifejacket, whistle. Again thankfully have never had to use it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:54:00, 01/02/20 »
Always thought those chest strap whistles were just a gimmick, wouldn't like to rely on one for real. But then I haven't ever carried one either. Would you really hear one in a mountain gale anyway.

More chance of hearing a whistle than a shout, Owen.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy