Author Topic: Puzzled!  (Read 1135 times)

angilee

Puzzled!
« on: 12:57:14, 02/09/20 »
Hi Everyone, I have been wearing my boots for a good 18 months, had two pairs of the same one's and never a problem. Suddenly they have started annoying my little toe, making it very red, it also looks like it has pressed it into the second toe as well, I'm wondering if putting new socks on has caused this problem, although they are the same one's as I've always had..I'm completely baffled and fed up. Any ideas??

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Puzzled!
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:58, 02/09/20 »
Different socks are made of different materials, some slip more on the bottom of the boot which can make for more fatigue on your feet. 

For me nearly all my little toe problems come from overpronation and putting far too many miles in without changing socks during the day (sweat makes your foot wet even if it isn't raining, and wet skin softens and becomes damaged more easily). 

Red skin would indicate friction so check for any areas of the boot on the inside of the upper which may be loose stitching etc, if you change socks during the day + use the same material then I'd look to considering an inner-sole which can adjust where your pressure goes within your shoe.  As someone who overpronates naturally this helped massively with reducing the amount of fatigue and damage the outside of my feet accumulates on long strenuous walks.   Worth a try!

angilee

« Reply #2 on: 13:41:10, 02/09/20 »
Many thanks for your advice and help, it is a complete mystery, the socks are the one's I've always used, they were just new from the packet

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:27:01, 02/09/20 »
Many thanks for your advice and help, it is a complete mystery, the socks are the one's I've always used, they were just new from the packet

I always wash any brand new socks to soften them before wearing them and always turn them inside out to check for and trim any loose ends that the manufacturing process may have left behind. It's possible an odd loose end is the cause of your problem?

angilee

« Reply #4 on: 15:57:14, 02/09/20 »
kinky boots, many thanks, on closer inspection comparing the older one's with the new one's, it looks like the newer socks are wider on the toe box  :-[

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:17:42, 02/09/20 »
kinky boots, many thanks, on closer inspection comparing the older one's with the new one's, it looks like the newer socks are wider on the toe box  :-[

Washing them might take that extra width out naturally giving a better fit but don't be tempted to force dry them with heat or you may risk shrinking them too much.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:29:39, 02/09/20 »
Socks already mentioned, so other possibilities:
weather - feet expand/shhrink with temperature, mostly due to blood flow
weight gain/loss - again feet may have changed size
injury - probably obvious, but I broke a toe recently and it reset ever so slightly out of line but enough to rub badly
drastic foot changes - like falling arch or something
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:50:22, 02/09/20 »
I don't want to belittle the problem, but perhaps sometimes these things just happen.

I've been doing a lot of miles for years and don't expect foot problems, but they still happen very occasionally.

Not long ago, the little toe on my left foot started to swell and was quite tender. My 'solution' was to cut the tip off the finger of an old glove and fit it over the toe. That made it feel much better when walking and the toe recovered after a few days.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

angilee

« Reply #8 on: 16:55:25, 02/09/20 »
Many thanks everyone, Guess I'll have to work through some solutions with socks etc.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:25:05, 02/09/20 »
May sound a daft reply, but i found this with a new pair of Brasher boots i bought years ago.
The first pair i bought, lasted donkey's years, and were as comfortable as my slippers, but the mid section eventually collapsed and called it a day.

Well, a new pair was a must, so a visit to Crickhowell Adventure Gear in Brecon, and i tried on a new pair.

The new ones looked more substantial than the old pair, but looked identical in appearance, and felt heavier, but just as cosy right out of the box.

Well, after several months in wearing the things, there was little give, or molding to your foot shape and contours like the originals, and the rubber sole, was simply lethal on wet rock.

I can remember clambering up the South face of Pen Yr Ole Wen in them, and it was like ice climbing in the things, i was slipping dangerously about in the things.

After a bit of research, i realised Brasher had changed their boot manufacturer, and they were now made in Italy, to higher standards than the original, but the new boots were nowhere near as good as my slippers.

i very much doubt experimenting with different socks will help, a boot should be comfortable, especially after extended use, and if your toes are becoming sore, then its usually down to the inside construction of the boot, something that we cannot see.

We instantly know when trying on a pair of boots in our chosen size, that their comfortable, as any rubbing or discomfort usually shows itself afire walking up and down a showroom after a few minutes.

I may be wrong, and possibly barking up the wrong tree, but the discomfort to your toes is being caused by something inside the boots, possibly the way the boots constructed.

Boots that have been worn with great success, for well over a year, should not really suddenly become items of torture.

Theres something near the front of the boots, that are causing pressure on your toes.
« Last Edit: 17:30:35, 02/09/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:14:05, 03/09/20 »
I think I may have experienced a similar problem at one time. It took me a long while but I also concluded it was my socks. My little toe would become redraw after about three days and I believe it was because my socks allowed my feet to slip and slide inside my boot. The movement was minuscule but just enough to develop the problem. I now always wear socks that don't allow my feet to move. I no longer have this problem.

angilee

« Reply #11 on: 15:53:50, 03/09/20 »
Gunwharfman, Thank you for your reply, it certainly is a problem, socks are the only thing I have changed, although they were the same socks (just new one's) they seemed to be wider at the toe box, problem is , now the soreness won't go away whatever socks are in the boots, whatever has caused it, it has pressed the little toe and the next one together causing what looks like it could be a corn or an old blister I'm not sure..very frustrating!!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:32:47, 03/09/20 »
Have you tried:-
"toe protectors that have been specifically designed to surround and cushion the toe to alleviate the pain caused by corns and blisters. Made from high-grade soft silicon, these toe protectors will stretch to fit any size toe."
I used them for the first time on the 500 mile Camino Frances and were absolutely what I needed. I got "Sumiform gel covers" but there are others that no doubt will be equally as good - make sure that they are gel and not fabric.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:46:21, 03/09/20 »
Have you tried:-
"toe protectors that have been specifically designed to surround and cushion the toe to alleviate the pain caused by corns and blisters. Made from high-grade soft silicon, these toe protectors will stretch to fit any size toe."

I cannot believe that anything that would fit my wife’s toes would have any chance of stretching to fit mine. If they did manage to stretch to fit, they would be so tight that my toes would drop off during the walk.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:48:28, 03/09/20 »
I cannot believe that anything that would fit my wife’s toes would have any chance of stretching to fit mine. If they did manage to stretch to fit, they would be so tight that my toes would drop off during the walk.
I am 6'4" tall and take size 12/13 boots and still have all my toes! ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy