Author Topic: Sunday Times article on extreme runners and chronic fatigue  (Read 1702 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Not exactly walking but may be of interest to some on here. You can't read the whole article in the link unfortunately unless you register

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/extreme-runner-endures-downhill-slide-in-health-3wjljnx7s

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I would like to read said article but I refuse to hand over hand of my money to buy a newspaper, especially a Murdoch newspaper!

Sorry!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
You don't have to pay, you can get 2 free articles a week, just have to register with your name and email

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I run off road but only about 3-5 miles a day but all knowledge is useful. Since October last year I have suffered from a deep ache in my left leg, from the back of my knee up to my hip. I saw a physio the other day, after many pulls, twists and turns he diagnosed I have a hamstring muscle problem, cut down on the running said he, hike more! Time is the healer I think but I still keep looking for information that might help me?

The only time I believe I really suffered from fatigue, (it might have been something else?) was in 2015 in the Pyrenees. There was one day when I just pushed myself too far, I hiked from dawn until dusk. By the time I arrived in St. John Pied de Port I could hardly stand up, my eyes wouldn't focus, my speech was slurred, I was shaking from head to toe and I felt really cold. It was a very hot day! I recovered fairly quickly but I have never been that stupid again.

tonyk

• Veteran Member

The only time I believe I really suffered from fatigue, (it might have been something else?) was in 2015 in the Pyrenees. There was one day when I just pushed myself too far, I hiked from dawn until dusk. By the time I arrived in St. John Pied de Port I could hardly stand up, my eyes wouldn't focus, my speech was slurred, I was shaking from head to toe and I felt really cold. It was a very hot day! I recovered fairly quickly but I have never been that stupid again.

Had the same problem myself on the Cleveland Way after a hard 33 mile day.It was July and very hot yet I was shivering in the tent despite having warm drinks.It took a few hours to recover but it was very unpleasant.

Found the guy's blog.http://stevebirkinshaw-wainwright2014.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2016-02-22T06:46:00-08:00&max-results=7

Quote:"My symptoms seemed to have settled down, instead of just complaining about feeling tired I feel I can now catalogue them.
 1)    Persistent exhaustion that has now been going on for 6 months. But there were also signs ever since I completed my Wainwrights run. So even 12 months ago after a long hard race it would take me two weeks to recover and feel up to running again.
 2)    ‘Brain fog’. I cannot think straight or concentrate and my short-term memory is absolutely awful. This normally clears around midday and by the evening I feel back to normal. But on a good day it might clear at 10am, on a bad day it might never clear. When the ‘brain fog’ is bad I find it impossible to write a simple email or even remember a simple instruction.
 3)    The persistent wish to go to sleep even when I have just had an 8-9 hour sleep.
 4)    Disturbed sleep. If I am in a bad phase, I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep
 5)    Regular headaches.

I also now know three things that make it worse:
 1)    A long fast fell run (90 minutes or more). Particular bad is a long hard run before breakfast. After this I can feel shattered for a week or more.
 2)    A big drinking session. I have just had my works Christmas ‘do’. For three days after it I was exhausted and I found thinking and concentrating nearly impossible. All I wanted to do was lie in bed.
 3)    A stressful situation, such as having to give a talk in front of a group of people. On the next day I will again by really tired and find even a slow run impossible.
 What does not seem to cause any problems is a run (or jog) up to an hour, as long as I keep my heart rate down below 130 beats per minute. In fact being outside relaxing my mind seems to help."

« Last Edit: 22:01:49, 28/02/17 by tonyk »

Rather be walking

Hi all, sounds like heatstroke http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/heatstroke-symptoms-treatment-sunstroke.
My wife had a very mild attack back in the summer on the Hangers Way, It was a hot afternoon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
6 Days 11 hours of almost continuous running to complete the entire 214 Wainright Lakeland Peaks challenge, eclipsing the mighty Joss Naylors record by over 12hrs.
That's what i call extreme running.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy