Author Topic: Base layers with Cotton  (Read 3523 times)

Troggy

Re: Base layers with Cotton
« Reply #15 on: 22:57:09, 26/03/18 »
Each to their own of course, but what I've found is that wool as a base layer, even if it gets damp, still retains heat. I'll happily use paramo vest, or a helly hansen as well.

As for the question of Craghopper trousers, I've got others but I'll use Graggies most of my walks, I'm happy with them.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:20:07, 27/03/18 »
When it's cold I have a couple of long sleeved North Cape shirts, I've just been looking at some old photo's and realized that I'm wearing the same shirt in a twenty year old photo. I think that's why North Cape went bust, their stuff never wore out. 
Best waterproof jacket I've had was North Cape. Lasted years, really waterpoof, lightweight and wasn't expensive. RIP North Cape, you are missed.

Back on topic this link may help explain wool's properties
https://www.quora.com/Why-exactly-does-wool-reportedly-keep-you-warmer-than-cotton-when-wet-from-sweat-or-rain
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

KimE

« Reply #17 on: 19:08:31, 29/03/18 »

[font=]"Sorry to disagree with you Kim but in 2016 I bought a not-so-cheap pair of Swedish walking trousers, made by Pinewood. They were 65% polyester, 35% cotton and they turned out to be the wrong choice, for they became damp on the first day of a multiple-day hike in North Wales and they stayed that way throughout. They didn't dry one little bit, not even from my body warmth when I was inside my tent. [font=&amp]
[font=]I gave them to a charity shop after just that one use, someone would have got a bargain if they bought them for workwear, and I replaced them with a 100% polyamide Tog 24 pair which by comparison dry in minutes. "
[font=]

[font=]Well i use my polycotton trousers almost every day, yes you get wet if you dont use a outer rainshell.

Troggy

« Reply #18 on: 18:02:33, 02/04/18 »
KimE,  Aye, polycotton trousers can get wet but if firms such as Craghoppers & Fjallraven have such good reputations it's because, I would think, that they're using tried and tested material. In fjallraven's case, they sell a wax that can proof their outer wear to a certain degree. They point out, however, that the more wax that is used, the less breathable is the outer wear. 

The original point oif the post was that baselayers are not the best choice for walking because of their capacity to hold water. It wasn't to say don't wear any cotton in an outer layer.

The choice of whether to bring waterproofs with you, depends on the walker but, generally, waterproofs protect the walker from losing body heat.I certainly wouldn't want to be out in the hills in any trousers without waterproofs to put over them, and definitely not in weather we're experiencing at present, even if they were made of a material that dries quickly once out of the rain.

Magic girl

« Reply #19 on: 15:23:09, 03/04/18 »
I've been doing research on the forum(im fairly new)and as someone who sweats/glows buckets when i walk i have to be careful what i wear.I've got quiet a few bamboo baselayers and after reading this i looked at the fabric content and yes there is a percentage of cotton in them.I do find that they take ages to dry especially when washed but I don't think I've ever felt cold in them although i only walk 6 or 7 miles tops at the moment but im thinking that i may need different base layers if i do longer walks/hikes especially in winter.Unfortunetly I can't wear merino as i find wool very itchy so i may have to look for base layers made with man made fibers and hope they don't end up stinking bad.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:15:50, 03/04/18 »
love the Aldi & Lidl Merino base-layers ...

Dunno about Lidle but Aldi's Crane own brand is worth a look.  I have one of their merino T shirts and several of the bamboo visco version.  The bamboo fabric has proved to be long-lasting and is soft and comfortable. 
Skip

Kukkudrill

« Reply #21 on: 12:33:59, 05/04/18 »
Last year I walked the West Highland Way in a pair of Fjallraven polycotton trousers. One day I gambled on not putting on overtrousers in a light drizzle but it turned into a prolonged spell of heavy rain. My trousers got well and truly soaked. But they dried within something like a quarter of an hour.

I've also been able to compare Craghoppers Kiwi polycotton shirts with nylon shirts. The Kiwis seem to retain moisture for longer while they're being worn, but they dry on the line after washing pretty much as fast as nylon shirts.

65/35% polycotton seems to dry almost as fast as pure polyester. Maybe I wouldn't wear it as a baselayer but it''s fine as outerwear.
Make the most of the available light

RogerA

« Reply #22 on: 12:41:40, 05/04/18 »
I have a pair of the craghopper kiwi polycotton trousers - which I love they're great, much more comfortable than the similar kiwi active pro non cotton version.

When new walking through wet long grass was never a problem they shrugged the water off with ease.
With washing over time they lost this ability and became nasty to wear in the wet, quickly getting and staying wet.
Reproofing with Nikwax Tech wash & wash in then a quick spray with Aldi reproofing spray brought them back to as good as new.

Now I've worked this out I dont have problems with a sensible cotton mix on an outer layer. I was more concerned with base layers - I think the answer I'm taking from this thread is that anything with any % cotton isnt a suitable base layer if you think you're going to sweat / get rained on.

Thanks for all your replies guys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy