Author Topic: Drygarn Fawr advice needed  (Read 2472 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Drygarn Fawr advice needed
« on: 23:54:36, 31/07/20 »
I was thinking of walking up Drygarn Fawr, starting from the small Llanerch y Cawr car park. I plan to walk up Cwm Rhiwnant and back down Cwm Paradwys but in my "Hillwalking in Wales Volume 1" book it suggest that on the outward leg this would involve asking permission from a farmer to go through their farm yard. That sounds potentially problematic, especially as I would be with my very dog-adverse son, but in no other descriptions of this route have I seen this mentioned. Can anyone tell me what the situation is now, I'm wondering if the book's advice is outdated?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Drygarn Fawr advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 15:43:06, 01/08/20 »
I certainly see no problems or issues, in asking a farmer, if you can walk through his property.

The only issue i could see, is if you had a dog, that was off its lead, or a bit unruly, thats the thing that most farmers are worried sick about.

My philosophy, is to always be polite, and try and get a conversation going with any landowner, that's easier said than done i know, but it sometimes works.

I can remember three years ago, talking to a farmer in Northumberland, and once he realised i was very interested in his brand new tractor, we got into conversation for ages, he was a decent bloke, as most of them are.

I recounted how i had spoken to Joseph Cyril Bamfords  son, in the Royal Welsh Show in Builth Wells, years ago, and he was dead impressed.

We parted on great terms, and all because i admired his new JCB tractor and i had been friendly and polite.

Being polite, for some people, is a thing of the past, but it goes a long way.
« Last Edit: 15:48:01, 01/08/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:57:07, 01/08/20 »
Thanks, I appreciate one can ask permission of the farmer but as I explained we do have a problem because my son is dog adverse in the extreme. We've just come back from walking the Angidy trail in Tintern and it was a nightmare. My question was has anyone done this approach to Drygarn Fawr recently who could advise us whether the route does got through a farm yard where you need to stop to ask permission.

I've read quite a few accounts of people going what I think is the route the book is talking about and no one mentions the farm yard or stopping to ask permission, which you think they would because it's not something one normally does on a walk. So maybe I've misunderstood the book or maybe it's out of date advice.
Can anyone help?

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:02:16, 01/08/20 »
Actually, looking again at the OS map I think what I was planning to do (and what others have done) is go up the eastern side of the river and I think the author is talking about walking a bit further on, cutting through a farm yard that isn't a right of way and starting off on the western side of the river. Not sure why, I'd rather walk where you're permitted to walk by right. Does anyone who's done it have any idea why you might want to do this in this location?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:13:54, 01/08/20 »
Actually, looking again at the OS map I think what I was planning to do (and what others have done) is go up the eastern side of the river and I think the author is talking about walking a bit further on, cutting through a farm yard that isn't a right of way and starting off on the western side of the river. Not sure why, I'd rather walk where you're permitted to walk by right. Does anyone who's done it have any idea why you might want to do this in this location?
The ford at SN 89125 60994 may be the issue.
Solvitur Ambulando

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:48:57, 01/08/20 »
The ford at SN 89125 60994 may be the issue.
Good point. Though if you go up the western side it looks like you need to cross a wider river. And if the ford was impassable it looks like you might be able to follow Nant Dyrys south for a bit then a wide track crosses it. Food for thought anyway.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy