Author Topic: Unpacking My Rucksack - anyone else done it yet?  (Read 1743 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Unpacking My Rucksack - anyone else done it yet?
« Reply #15 on: 10:51:19, 26/03/20 »

Hello Richard:

I've no use for my compass and whistle at the moment so they can stay in the rucksack, but I think I might be using the first aid supplies - the paracetamol tablets will come in handy.

Look after yourself, Lee. I'll not be using my compass for quite some time, I suspect, but it weighs next to nothing and sits in the small lower pocket of the rucksack, where I know it is, so it can stay. My first aid kit only contains a triangular bandage, a large wound dressing and a few plasters - it can stay too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lee R

« Reply #16 on: 19:03:58, 26/03/20 »
I don't really empty mine. It's mainly camera gear, gloves, waterproof trousers, which is kept in there at home as 'storage' - although the latter will be removed soon with the changing seasons. Flask/water/hydration is obviously removed & cleaned. Coats etc hung up. Any food is usually already eaten :)
My other half's is usually stored with compass, local maps, first aid bits, kept in there.
She's off work for the foreseeable future so she cleaned all our boots etc today :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:38:13, 30/03/20 »
I'm still heading out for regular walks.  The locations have just changed.  I have not needed my ruck sac or boots the past two weeks due to the good weather I have simply carried a drink and a few biscuits in my camera bag.  When the rains return and I need to carry more gear I am sure the ruck sac will be back in use.  As will my boots.  :)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:11:32, 30/03/20 »
Mine is usually full of veg from my allotment and dog toys at the moment - the only use I have for a rucksac at the moment. I still get out for 10 to 15 per day with the dog. We have a few regular routes which involve him doing scent work, retrieves, doing an equestrian cross country course while I direct him by the whistle, a bit of sheepdog work without sheep. Out of boredom I have started to train him to find all sorts of things, recently it was £10 notes hidden around the house - easy!

Next it will be my car keys then whatever it was I came upstairs for.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:13:05, 30/03/20 »
I'm a completely unpack and sort kit after each trip kind of person, too.
If it is my personal kit for leisure or instructing, it then gets stored in the best way for each piece ready to be packed when I next need it.
If it is my grab bag or webbing, I repack immediately with replacement kit and then sort and store the used kit.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

mountaingal

« Reply #20 on: 18:39:49, 31/03/20 »
I walk regularly. Unpacking is a dangerous thing ::)  All bits and bobs are in my rucksack, though I may not use it every time. Such as... first aid, compass, boots cover for going into a pub, emergency snack, skarf, hat and gloves, emergency blanket, emergency contact paper, tissue papers, waterproofs, wet wipes...If I change my rucksack I might forget some of them. So they must stay as they are. I have a different rucksack for holiday (as the current one has seen the best day). Moving the contents to another rucksack is dangerous. I might overlook something hiding in one of the pockets or at the bottom. I also have a rucksack for shopping as I walk to the shops. I used to move my wallet between the one for walk and one for shopping. One day, I forgot to take my wallet for shopping :-[ . Another time, I forgot to take my wallet for a walk. And so, I keep a separate wallet for walk in my walking rucksack.
Since I have been doing shorter walks every day for the past week, I haven't taken the rucksack. But time will come for me to go out with my rucksack for a longer walk on my own...from my door of course ;) 
« Last Edit: 18:43:07, 31/03/20 by mountaingal »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:33:00, 31/03/20 »
My rucsac remains packed too. I have a small one for shopping, which is empty bar a water bottle and an EpiPen

Where there's a will ...

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:59:38, 01/04/20 »
I'm a completely unpack and sort kit after each trip kind of person, too.
If it is my personal kit for leisure or instructing, it then gets stored in the best way for each piece ready to be packed when I next need it.
If it is my grab bag or webbing, I repack immediately with replacement kit and then sort and store the used kit.

Same for myself - not least because if you leave a wild camp bag packed then both down and synthetics don't respond well to being stored compressed - and become less warm over time through not springing back properly.

Have a very small day pack with a few bits in it at the moment, but realistically anything which requires a rucksack I probably shouldn't be doing at the moment anyway.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #23 on: 10:33:41, 02/04/20 »
I'm lucky enough to live in Hayfield where we can walk out of the door in several directions, mostly short walks at present. My winter kit is still in my rucksack which I like to have on my back as it feels strange without it. Dave

Doddy

« Reply #24 on: 12:27:32, 03/04/20 »
I empty my multi day/week pack after each trip. I wash the clothes and stuff sacks then put all my gear into my GoTo box (a stationery box); it holds about 35ltr. After washing I put all the smaller items - socks, gloves, underpants, cook pot, stove, water treatment sack in the GoTo box. I hang up long pants, shirt and rain gear.
Before the next jaunt I consult checklist and tick off as I put the gear into the pack. I have similar food box and after consulting my trail route make a menu plan including pubs, cafe stops so  only carry the food needed. I rarely carry more than a litre of water filling up at pubs or the shops. In wild areas I will check maps where the trail passes close to streams. I understand in the UK you are nowhere more than two hours away from water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy