Author Topic: Dog owners?  (Read 5504 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Dog owners?
« Reply #30 on: 17:34:56, 01/05/19 »
I am sorry that you feel I am lecturing you, far from it. I merely pass on the collective as so often directed towards myself, though I have not owned a dog for many years since my conversion from country person to town dweller.

Once standing in a mid Wales farmyard with a collie at my side, I gave it a scratch behind the ears in that spot they seem so much to enjoy and listen to a long lecture from the farmer about us walkers and our dogs. When he had finished I had to point that I did not own a dog and the one at my heel was in fact his own.

I did not realise that the nemotode issue was so important, this particular one migrates in the bloodstream of a cow to the liver, unlike many that only affect the digestive tract. It was a new grudge that farmers hold against walkers and is prevalent in urban belts. My initial concern was that 'stick and flick it' might go unchallenged, without this further information being added to the debate and it is after all people, who walk there dogs, who are those most under scrutiny from the farmer.

My raising my term on a LAF is a result of the many times I have been pointed out as 'you walkers', therefor carrying the burden for all walkers, good and bad, but when the landowners accuses me of spreading a disease of Rhododendrons, I had to grit my teeth and speculate why walkers were more liable to spread fungal spores that deer or badgers.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:38:13, 01/05/19 »
It was a joke Richard, meaning people leave rubbish but my dog doesn’t, not an obvious one lol

Went straight over my head, phil!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:41:30, 01/05/19 »
When I walk on Dartmoor between 1 March and 31 July, I see far more dogs off the lead than on it, especially just away from the car parks round the main honeypots such as Haytor Rocks.  If, in conversation, you ask the owners why the dog isn't on the lead, they will explain that their dog doesn't need to be.  It's a bit like speed limits that never seem to apply to the cars haring past at 70+.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:45:08, 01/05/19 »
Ground nesting birds don't appreciate dogs being off the lead on Orkney clifftops.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:55:17, 01/05/19 »
You would enjoy the N Pennines with a dog Richard - they pretty much have to be on the lead at all times.  If you keep it on a short lead you end up falling over the dog as you thread your way through the heather, which can be thigh high, and if you use a flexi you spend half the walk untangling it.  Took my daughter's dog up there once - didn't offer again.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 17:56:38, 01/05/19 »
I use a bungee attached to a thick waist belt - works a treat for me. We've some pretty deep heather up here too, especially on the north facing slopes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:00:16, 01/05/19 »
I use a bungee attached to a thick waist belt - works a treat for me. We've some pretty deep heather up here too, especially on the north facing slopes.
Just what I need - a dog pinging back into me nads!  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:09:07, 01/05/19 »
Ouch!  :D

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:09:22, 01/05/19 »

Once standing in a mid Wales farmyard with a collie at my side, I gave it a scratch behind the ears in that spot they seem so much to enjoy and listen to a long lecture from the farmer about us walkers and our dogs. When he had finished I had to point that I did not own a dog and the one at my heel was in fact his own.

General point taken BWW and no harm done. The above regarding the farmers collie did make me chuckle  :)

Touching from a distance, further all the time.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:15:51, 01/05/19 »
When I walk on Dartmoor between 1 March and 31 July, I see far more dogs off the lead than on it, especially just away from the car parks round the main honeypots such as Haytor Rocks.  If, in conversation, you ask the owners why the dog isn't on the lead, they will explain that their dog doesn't need to be.  It's a bit like speed limits that never seem to apply to the cars haring past at 70+.
Careful with that tar and brush, wouldn’t do to get any on you now would it  ;)  In all seriousness I agree with dogs on leads around livestock and especially during lambing time, but maybe, just maybe some of those people have a point, dogs should be under control, not necessarily on a lead 100% of the time, mind you some humans  ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:20:08, 01/05/19 »
Careful with that tar and brush, wouldn’t do to get any on you now would it  ;)  In all seriousness I agree with dogs on leads around livestock and especially during lambing time, but maybe, just maybe some of those people have a point, dogs should be under control, not necessarily on a lead 100% of the time, mind you some humans  ::)

1 Mar to 31 July is nesting season for ground nesting birds - does you dog know to avoid them?  Does the bird know you dog means no harm - and if it came across a nest would it do no harm?  At least most humans stay on the paths.
Solvitur Ambulando

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:29:08, 01/05/19 »

1 Mar to 31 July is nesting season for ground nesting birds - does you dog know to avoid them?  Does the bird know you dog means no harm - and if it came across a nest would it do no harm?  At least most humans stay on the paths.
What about you? Oh and yes he knows to avoid them, he’s very clever you know. I am aware of the nesting season but thanks for assuming I didn’t. I did mention about 100% of the time didn’t l? Yes I thought I did.
« Last Edit: 18:32:27, 01/05/19 by phil1960 »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:03:31, 02/05/19 »
Oi... >:(
How many times have we got on the bus with me smelling of the bags in my rucksack pocket :o

I know a dog owner who uses nappy bags as they are scented and disguise the smell. If they work for baby poo they should do the same for dog poo.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 05:06:17, 03/05/19 »
I know a dog owner who uses nappy bags as they are scented and disguise the smell. If they work for baby poo they should do the same for dog poo.
Thanks lostme1 I do use nappy bags, as you say they are scented however they still don't work unfortunately  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 05:50:33, 03/05/19 »
I saw a report that in some areas of the USA authorities are performing DNA tests on dog excrement to identify offending parties.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy