Author Topic: Windermere to Swirls Car park by bus  (Read 1359 times)

Carly86

Windermere to Swirls Car park by bus
« on: 21:54:42, 11/07/19 »
Hi, I've decided to take the easier route to Helvellyn, it's my first time climbing this mountain so I want to get my bearings before I go for the other routes, just need help getting to Swirls Car park by bus, I'm finding the bus timetables pretty confusing tbh, is there a direct bus? Any info on the buses to get there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pitboot

Re: Windermere to Swirls Car park by bus
« Reply #1 on: 22:07:02, 11/07/19 »
You want the 555 bus from Kendal to Keswick. Don't know if there is a stop at Swirls but there should be, you go right past it.

(Edit)
There is a bus stop at the entrance but that will be for buses coming from Keswick heading south. Can't see one on the other side of the road using google earth.
« Last Edit: 22:11:49, 11/07/19 by Pitboot »

Carly86

« Reply #2 on: 22:10:51, 11/07/19 »
Fantastic, thank you 😊

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:12:48, 11/07/19 »
You want the 555 bus from Kendal to Keswick. Don't know if there is a stop at Swirls but there should be, you go right past it.

I’ve never used the car park but looked on Google maps just now and the street view option shows a bus stop at both of the car parks on either side of the road  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Carly86

« Reply #4 on: 22:16:01, 11/07/19 »
Really appreciate that, thanks for your help. Definitely looking forward to this one  :)

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 22:16:55, 11/07/19 »
Yes, that's correct. There is a stop on the lake side car park where you can usually get an ice cream!

Carly86

« Reply #6 on: 22:25:55, 11/07/19 »
Gets better with every reply, I think I'll need an ice cream on the way back, really appreciate all your help  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:47:04, 11/07/19 »
Depending on how long you will be using the buses have a look at the weekly tickets, the single journeys can be expensive.

See here
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets/all-tickets
Hate will never win

Carly86

« Reply #8 on: 07:04:14, 12/07/19 »
Thanks for the advice, I'm there for a week and I've got a few places in mind so I'll definitely have a look. I'm staying in Windermere (easier train wise), any walks/hikes you'd recommend nearby? Thanks

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:01:58, 12/07/19 »
The only walk I've done from Windermere is up to Orrest Head. Great viewpoint but it is a short walk. Using the buses you could start walks from anywhere. Ambleside or Grasmere, or even Patterdale/Glenridding or Keswick. You could do linear walks using the buses too. I hope you get some nice weather  O0
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #10 on: 09:11:30, 12/07/19 »
Thanks for the advice, I'm there for a week and I've got a few places in mind so I'll definitely have a look. I'm staying in Windermere (easier train wise), any walks/hikes you'd recommend nearby? Thanks

I can't recommend any walks from Windermere but you could get the Keswick bus (I think its the 555) to Grasmere, walk to Great Langdale and get the bus back to Windermere.  Alternatively there are loads of walks from Grasmere/ Rydal or even Ambleside areas.  Think you might need to spend a bit of time with an OS map  ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:43:04, 12/07/19 »
The only walk I've done from Windermere is up to Orrest Head. Great viewpoint but it is a short walk. Using the buses you could start walks from anywhere. Ambleside or Grasmere, or even Patterdale/Glenridding or Keswick. You could do linear walks using the buses too. I hope you get some nice weather  O0
I have thought about a public transport trip to Rydal/Ambleside area and a stroll round old stomping grounds. be a long day for me though.  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:40:14, 12/07/19 »

Done variations on this a couple of times: catch the ferry from Bowness and walk to Hawkshead, bus back to Windermere.   From where you get off the ferry either go north through the forest or west to Far Sawrey and then north past Moss Eccles tarn. 

Bus to Ambleside, walk up Wansfell, down into Troutbeck and back to Ambleside vie Robin Lane and Skelghyll wood.
Not all those who wander are lost

Carly86

« Reply #13 on: 17:15:57, 12/07/19 »
Thanks everyone, lots of great places mentioned and I always intended to get the ferry somewhere so thanks for that. Just need to spend a bit of time on Google maps and viewranger so I can plan ahead. Fingers crossed for the weather too. Thanks again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy